• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Sols to Stream, Take DVD Pledges on Black Jack TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
All right, panhandlers, you've piqued my interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Going with Tezuka stuff seems like a great start, especially a heavy hitter like the storied Black Jack. I'd personally love to see the Phoenix films and OVAs being offered, no idea what their license history is though. Maybe they'll let the Kawajiri ones go cheap?

After Tezuka, who next would be an appropriate target, Go Nagai, Leiji Matsumoto? Big names do help with recognition, and those two have heaps of unlicensed stuff sitting around.
NeySnow

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
All the Tezuka stuff is great, keep it coming. I would also be interested in Astro Boy 2003, uncut.

It's still pretty annoying though that as someone outside the U.S I will have to find people to help me get this stuff. The translation work will be done though, could foreign companies sub license possibly?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
I've actually seen a few episodes of this. It's not a bad show, but it's definitely a more "family friendly" version of Black Jack than some of the others out there. Those expecting too much might not necessarily get what they want from it (other than Black Jack himself being awesome, which is definitely the case here, but that's a given).

Still, I'd usually try to pledge considering all the money I've spent on Kickstarter so far, but I also don't like having to jump through hoops in order to do so (insert generic but sincere whining on region restrictions, limited payment methods, etc.). I might try to get someone else to fund it for me but that's wishful thinking at this point. Nevertheless, I sincerely wish this whole Anime Sols project the best of luck.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
Apparently those of us in the UK will be unable to pledge towards sets.

I'm gutted, Kickstarter is a global franchise and i would of thought that this Website would realise that the best chance for success would be to allow the global English market to be able to contribute.

A massive oversight and something I'm fed up of seeing.

Why shut us out? I don't understand
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
Seeing more of Black Jack getting licensed is a dream comes true for me.
xScar

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:

I'm gutted, Kickstarter is a global franchise and i would of thought that this Website would realise that the best chance for success would be to allow the global English market to be able to contribute.

Because they can't legally sell it outside of the region they licensed it for?

Black Jack is on CR, Hulu, Youtube, and Viki. Is Anime Sols really going to pay the money to resub the show when Tezuka Productions clearly already has subs for it?

There's a pretty large amount of Tezuka titles already streaming with subtitles, including series like Fumoon and Blue Blink, which Anime Sols has announced as well.

Surely they're just going to touch up the subs... or just use them as is?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:23 am Reply with quote
IIRC, this show was episodic up until the title changed to "Black Jack 21," after which it had a continuing plot that was resolved at the end. What I'm unsure of is whether Black Jack and Black Jack 21 are considered one series as far as licensing goes, or two. Would the "21" episodes be included in this?
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:49 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
blaizevincent wrote:

Because they can't legally sell it outside of the region they licensed it for?

I understand that's why what bugs me is why not license for the UK and AU/NZ. We all speak the same language and all countries have a fanbase that would be willing to support it. It wouldn't have to be EU because only the UK and Ireland actually speak English so that wouldn't make any sense.

It's just so annoying as a Fan of Anime outside of America sometimes. We constantly get forgotten about and in the case of AnimeSols then i don't see why they didn't put the UK into the picture at the beginning. I would pledge the hell out of some of these shows but I'm blocked out. I get so frustrated by this happening all the time. I was very excited for this but no I wasn't born in north America so i can't be a part of it.

Coming from the land that produced this language to constantly get shut out like this sucks << this sentence is overkill but you may get my frustration
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:00 am Reply with quote
For some reason, Crunchyroll only has the first 28 episodes of Black Jack, not the full 61.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:02 am Reply with quote
I did not listen to the podcast, so this might have been answered already:

- what funding platform? kickstarter, indiegogo, etc?

- any plans for the OVAs? The 10 Black Jack OVAs + 2 Black Jack Final OVAs in 2011?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:35 am Reply with quote
The translations of the first 28 episodes from CR (minus the missing episode 3) are not bad and we are just touching them up, but we will continue from 29+ with our own subtitles.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I did not listen to the podcast, so this might have been answered already:

- what funding platform? kickstarter, indiegogo, etc?

- any plans for the OVAs? The 10 Black Jack OVAs + 2 Black Jack Final OVAs in 2011?

The funding platform is our own, completely built from scratch.

The first 10 ovas were released on DVD in the US already however somewhat out of print (still pretty easy to find though), but we might take pledges for a complete set including the final OVAs 11-12 in the future. That's under consideration by Tezuka pending the overall success of the business model.
Bamble

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:40 am Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
I understand that's why what bugs me is why not license for the UK and AU/NZ.

As another UK fan, I totally sympathise, but by now it's clear the trouble going the extra length to cover the UK and Australia/New Zealand markets is not offset by the likely return, otherwise Toei, et. al. would have sanctioned their streams to be worldwide long ago.

I too would dearly love to contribute towards any solid media release of classic and classic-themed series such as Black Jack, but at this point all we can hope for is a private proxy industry to develop to overcome the latest round of regional licensing restrictions and allow us to purchase any DVDs through that route.

It's hardly ideal, but I don't see there being much other choice if you want such shows in English on disc?

On a semi-related note, that's why I sincerely hope that the original Casshern series does eventually go to Discotek rather than Anime Sols; as at least I can buy such DVDs from Amazon, etc. Those harsh realities go both ways.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:47 am Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:

It's just so annoying as a Fan of Anime outside of America sometimes. We constantly get forgotten about and in the case of AnimeSols then i don't see why they didn't put the UK into the picture at the beginning. I would pledge the hell out of some of these shows but I'm blocked out. I get so frustrated by this happening all the time. I was very excited for this but no I wasn't born in north America so i can't be a part of it.

Just to correct, but Anime Sols is not licensing these shows. The rights holders are the Anime Sols LLP partners, so it's licensing them to ourselves.
The issue isn't the availability of UK or AUS rights, but rather the legal and tax liabilities from collecting funds from there for the purpose of producing a DVD.
By doing so we would be tacitly confirming that the DVD box sets are at least partially meant for sale within the UK/AUS, and that means we'd be obligated to go through all the approvals and ratings board requirements of both the UK and Australia or risk being in trouble with those governments. In addition we'd have to register our business in those countries as well and/or establish local branches which also would require us to file taxes in those countries
This costs a lot of money and man power we don't have at the moment. To say you've been forgotten is really not the case, I've done significant research into launching in all english speaking territories and we simply didn't have the budget for it to start. This isn't a project with a ton of money, or even much money at all to be honest Smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2