• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Subtitled Anime on Adult Swim?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Oh man, you all really like Asuka's dub voice? That voice makes me sick. The Japanese one was perfect. The dubbed Excel was horrid, though, much worse than the dub Asuka. I'd rather snap the DVD in half than have to listed to Excel's dub voice. The Japanese Excel voice was also perfect.

Oh no! Someone has a different taste to what I have! They're evil and wrong!

Stop posting for justice, internet boy, and just let it go, kay?

I'm entitled to speak my own opinion, too. Plus, I am just showing how unbelievably surprised I am that so many people like these particular dub voices. It's blowing me away.

far and away a huge different between voicing your own opinion, and being a jerk about it. while you might not think you are, you definantly are being a bit arrogant about all of this. That's the end of it.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Bahamut God wrote:
Maybe it's a series that has no dub.

Like Urusei Yatsura...

Or KOR

But the chances of Anime Emigo landing a tv deal are pretty slim.

City Hunter. Laughing Nah, really, don't you dare AS. I image it'll be a pretty short series, atleast to test the water.

People, let's try not make this in Dub VS Sub topic. That's so '90s. Besides, Tiffeny Grant did a fine Asuka and Excel, but IMO.

sorry to burst your bubble but Tiffany Grant didn't voice Excel she was the of the two girls (the other being Ropomatsu) that Iwata was intrested in. Jessica Cavello was Dub Excel Episodes 1-13 and was replaced by Larissa Wolcott. now for Dub Eva *shudders* eww...that one of the few series I can't stand dubbed. and I loved the two dub voices of Excel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
sokpupet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:37 am Reply with quote
MY POST WAS DELETED!!! why? i said what would be awesome subtitled on as and asked others what they think would not be awesome. there's probably somewhere you can go to find out why a post has been deleted but come on!

but a title that wouldn't be awesome? i have no idea. but i'd love to see dokuro-chan as well Very Happy
superdeformed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:12 am Reply with quote
Something ground-breaking, fresh, and interesting on TV? Say it ain't so!

Adult Swim's bread and butter have been pushing the envelope as to what would normally not work on television. I think this will be a big hit. Especially with this new wave of teeny bopper fans who eat up anything "Japanese".

I hope this is not some B.S. rumor; it’d be nice to not have to change the channel as soon as soon as the Anime block of adult swim begins.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:47 am Reply with quote
i suspect the reason it will be subbed is because it's probably some fresh new license they're getting before it hits the studio.

let the speculation begin.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:17 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

let the speculation begin.

I'm going to randomly throw Samurai 7 out there.

Or, if Adult Swin is still in works with Cartoon Network - which I assume they informally are - it could possibly be Naruto. Air the 'uncut', subbed version late at night so the hardcore fans don't explode over how much Toonami is going to rape the show. Because you know they will.

Also, my two cents. We need to remember that the word 'soon' is relative. Soon to a network could mean early 2006, whereas soon to us viewers means in two weeks.

For example, though it was delayed, Nintendo is releasing the Twilight Princess "soon" ....in April 2006.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
Subtitled anime on [AS]. I wouldn't have seen this coming within the next three years. It's too bad that people who tape [AS] don't get factored into [AS]'s viewer ratings. In no way am I going to stay up really late to watch TV. As for the guess on Beck, I don't know how much Engrish I can take. But I'll give it a shot if it airs. My definition of soon is sometime within the next eight months. Something like this doesn't come instantly, and I used dial-up for a number of years...
I'm not sure this will be a huge hit though. As far as I know, shows like Futurama still get much higher ratings than anime, although this is just a vague thought.

sokpupet wrote:
MY POST WAS DELETED!!! why?
It's not such a huge deal, my posts have gone down that alley plenty of times. Usually I go back and reread the rules...
Stueypark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but I know I've read before that the dubbed films tend to do better. Heck, Princess Mononoke was even shown in Japan... with the english language track, with subtitles!
Isaaru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
IanC wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
or at least Asuka's voice, is so horrible,

Erm no.

I wouldnt be shocked if AS are yanking peoples chains with this.

You can honestly say you like Asuka's dub voice? That surprises me...A LOT. Do you also like Excel's dub voice?

Asuka's voice did grate on my nerves. But then again it was totally within character. Same thing with Shinji's voice.

Excel's voice was awesome. That took pure vocal strength to pull such a hyper crazy character, and had pure heart. Still among my fav dubs.
Hajime06

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Worldestroyer wrote:
Yes... I would _love_ to watch Ebichu on Adult Swim... I would completely laugh my ass off. But sadly that won't happen because of two things, one it's unlicensed and two... It's a anime about a perverted Hamster and his sexual adventures.

No, it's about a perverted hamster and his owner's sexual adventures. Get it straight. Rolling Eyes

And I thought Ebichu was licensed.... Wink

This is a bit off topic, but isn't Ebichu a female hamster?

To add some validity to my post I think the subbed anime would be something like Love Hina. Love Hina would do well because it is idiotic enough to keep up with the mental pace of the average AS viewer, and would do well either dubbed or subbed.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
IanC wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
or at least Asuka's voice, is so horrible,

Erm no.

I wouldnt be shocked if AS are yanking peoples chains with this.

You can honestly say you like Asuka's dub voice? That surprises me...A LOT. Do you also like Excel's dub voice?

Hey, I love Tiffany Grant as Asuka as well. The actress that did Asuka in the Japanese makes me want to scream. And I like her other work.

I actually liked Tiffany Grant as Asuka, especially since Tiffany knows German, and Asuka is German, she really fit that part.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zeboim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, I dont see why they would bother to go out of their way and broadcast a subbed version of Evangelion when it doesn't make much of a difference. So, taking that into account, I'd like to think that it will be Escaflowne. After all, they are showing the movie, and that is a great way to pique some interest. Fox has been sitting on the rights to broadcast Escaflowne for years, so what if Adult Swim struck a deal with them? We all know that the dub of Escaflowne is a hackjob of massive proportions, so what better reason to broadcast a subtitled version? Seems like a win-win situation to me. Escaflowne belongs to Bandai, and we all know that they are on good terms with AS, so maybe Fox's rights expired or AS payed them off.

EDIT: Another thing of note is that the song played during the commercial for the Escaflowne Movie (Shadow of Doubt) is from the TV show OST, and not the movie.

Last edited by Zeboim on Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
No one has mentioned Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence. A likey candidate it's a great movie ,light on dialogue , and will get great rating's . Exclamation
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
mugen1style wrote:
No one has mentioned Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence. A likey candidate it's a great movie ,light on dialogue , and will get great rating's . :!:

It wouldn't get great ratings because they haven't shown the first one and it's not that good of a movie in comparison, and the post clearly stated that they'll be showing a new series, not a movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
mugen1style wrote:
No one has mentioned Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence. A likey candidate it's a great movie ,light on dialogue , and will get great rating's . Exclamation

It wouldn't get great ratings because they haven't shown the first one and it's not that good of a movie in comparison, and the post clearly stated that they'll be showing a new series, not a movie.
I made a mistake sorry to every one who read my crapy post. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6