• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Subtitled Anime on Adult Swim?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:50 am Reply with quote
I predict dubtitles
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:15 am Reply with quote
Then you obviously haven't been paying attention for the last few years. You have no basis for your prediction.
ochimaru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote
My bet is on "Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad." If any of you have seen it, it has a lot of english & japanese audio intermixed, and it would be very hard to do an all english dub, as there are several scenes involving the "language barrier" that would be impossible to do if everyone spoke in english. It is a very popular series and has some great music, primarily sang in engrish (broken english).

The manga was recently licensed, but the anime is still up for grabs & I think it will be a big hit if it makes it on the airwaves. As the intro song says "I was made to hit in America." The anime almost seems like it was targeted at american fans.
emory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I predict dubtitles

Why do that when you can just turn on closed captioning?
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
ochimaru wrote:
My bet is on "Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad." If any of you have seen it, it has a lot of english & japanese audio intermixed, and it would be very hard to do an all english dub, as there are several scenes involving the "language barrier" that would be impossible to do if everyone spoke in english. It is a very popular series and has some great music, primarily sang in engrish (broken english).

The manga was recently licensed, but the anime is still up for grabs & I think it will be a big hit if it makes it on the airwaves. As the intro song says "I was made to hit in America." The anime almost seems like it was targeted at american fans.

They'd still either have to have subs running the whole time or dub the english, because it's very hard to understand.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Personally, the only dubbing that needs to be done for Beck when it's licensed is to give the native English speakers non-Engrish voices, like (maybe) Dying Breed, the filmmaker guy, DyBre's manager, etc. Leon Sykes and Goldie were actually pretty well done (the timing was sometimes off though... "I cannot let you keep the Lucille, as it is still worth a lot of money to usthat is my judgement").

Ryuusuke, Maho and the like fit.

Oh, and the Evangelion and Excel Saga dubs were very good. (Even if Excel as a show wasn't.)

::Waves his pro-dub banner::
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
ochimaru wrote:

I'll raise this point again, that Beck wouldn't be hard to adapt since all you'd need to do is have people speaking different accents of English, such as a heavy Brittish accent, heavy American, etc.

Worth a try anyway.
bebop26

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow... this is just surprising. Adult Swim even said in their "FAQ" on the adult swim forums that their control room is not monitered to run text on the screen. "Additionally, we feel that Dubbed anime appeals to the majority of our audience."
Plus alot of people would always post Naruto and One Piece threads in the "Suggestions Thread" just about everyday, even though they weren't licensed then.

As for which anime it could be is still a mystery. Could it be an anime that isn't licensed, an anime that is licensed? If its not Evangelion, then what show. I never heard of Beck until now, and from what I read, they drop the f-bomb alot of times. How would they censor words like "shit", would they blur out the subtitle or somehow replace it with a word like "crap" or "damnit"? I don't know Japanese myself, but it would be interesting to see subtitled anime and how adult swim would deal with it. It could be Macross for all we know. Didn't ADV send out a press release that they couldn't guarentee a Dubbed track because of licensing costs and issues... nah, maybe not Macross.

Escaflowne would be a great idea. Lets just hope this is no bs rumor.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Plus this isnt mentioned on their site at all. All the current news revolves around the second season of FMA and GITS: 2nd GIG
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
My money's on it being a show that they've already played and not a new one. Probably Cowboy Bebop.

Either that or Samurai Champloo.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
There's no way this is gonna work. I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings were bad.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Here is John form Anime Nation on the anousment:
Quote:
Question:

Adult Swim announced recently that they will likely air an anime series subtitled in the near future. Do you think this is a smart move for a block that is already getting mediocre ratings when compared to their comedy block that pulls in over a million viewers every Sunday?
Answer:

First, I must admit that I'm pleasantly surprised by the news that Adult Swim is seriously considering broadcasting a Japanese anime series in its native language. Second, I'm surprised that the reaction to this news within the fan community, as expressed on several different well known anime fan forums, has been largely a mix of confusion and disbelief. There seems to be a startling tone of negativity within the fan community toward the announcement. The consensus belief seems to be that Adult Swim is foolish to broadcast any anime title in Japanese language because anime is already secondary to the popularity of Adult Swim's original programming, and subtitles are likely to further marginalize anime on Adult Swim by driving away even more viewers. I definitely oppose this perspective.

I won't attempt to speculate which title Adult Swim may broadcast subtitled because, in one respect, the choice of title is irrelevant. I applaud the Adult Swim Network for daring to encourage the evolution of anime fandom in America. Other television networks including Showtime, The International Channel, and the Anime Network have broadcast Japanese language anime on American television, but their exposure has been very limited. Adult Swim is an influential, nationwide basic cable television network. Its broadcasts reach millions of homes and have the potential to revolutionize American television.

The Cartoon Network and its new spin-off network Adult Swim have a history of experimenting with anime. Most notably, in 2003 the Cartoon Network aired episodes of Evangelion, Nadesico, DaiGard, and Robotech during its "Giant Robot Week" in February 2003. In September 2003 Cartoon Network producer Sean Akins said, "Giant Robot Week was a giant failure!" But the point remains that the network took a chance. The Cartoon Network has also experimented with co-producing anime for American television broadcast- IGPX and Big O II. Giant Robot Week clearly proves that the Cartoon Network and Adult Swim aren't afraid to take risks in an effort to push the envelope. The network is among the most successful to reach the young adult American television viewer market, so I trust that they know what they're doing.

The practice of dubbing was ostensibly created as a marketing technique to introduce viewers to foreign language film which they normally wouldn't watch. In effect, dubbing is a form of "training wheels" designed to familiarize viewers with foreign film. But the American anime community has adopted dubbing as the seemingly preferred mode of translation and viewing anime. Ironically Americans have largely come to insist that imported Japanese animation should not be overtly Japanese. Seemingly in an effort to force viewers into recognizing and respecting the original format of anime, Adult Swim is preparing to literally assault mainstream America with Japanese animation that actually overtly sounds Japanese. I don't know whether a possible subtitled anime broadcast on Adult Swim will shock any number of American viewers into removing their intellectual and cultural blinders, or if a subtitled broadcast will encourage an increased concern with artistic respect among major American television networks and their viewers, but I hope so.

I don't think Adult Swim's plan to broadcast a subtitled anime is a foolish move at all. The broadcast may not be successful, which would be a shame, but it will be a landmark event in American television history. I hope it will be an influential event in American television history. I have a new increased respect for Adult Swim because of this potential risky move to expose Americans to authentic, unaltered Japanese anime in opposition to the current trend of popularizing dubbed anime.

My question, his answer.

Last edited by Advent_Nebula on Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
ladholyman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Subtitled anime! It only took them 5 years (since I started watching CN) for them to come to this. Bringing down the ratings or not, I want to see how the subs will be done. Would it be "closed captioned" black background/white font subs? Or would it already be encoded in the video? Only time will tell.

As for what show it is... I don't really care.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Ask John rocks!

I hope they do go thru with it.

Hey, what about Pani Poni Dash! or Gundam MS IGLOO?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
or Gundam MS IGLOO?

Not only is unlicensed, but production hasn't even finished on all six episodes if I'm not mistaken. I'd love to see Bandai bring it over eventually, but at the moment that really won't be the case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6