Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films' English-Subtitled BD Trailer Streamed


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 987

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Please, fans, take note that Madoka Magica is pronounced with a hard 'G' (as evidenced by this trailer). I'm sick of hearing it mispronounced at every convention I go to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
razisgosu



Joined: 26 Sep 2012
Posts: 466

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Please, fans, take note that Madoka Magica is pronounced with a hard 'G' (as evidenced by this trailer). I'm sick of hearing it mispronounced at every convention I go to.


How have you heard it pronounced? It seems pretty straight forward to me. Mad-o-kah Magic-a. Words are pronounced differently based on the language you are speaking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 987

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Please, fans, take note that Madoka Magica is pronounced with a hard 'G' (as evidenced by this trailer). I'm sick of hearing it mispronounced at every convention I go to.


How have you heard it pronounced? It seems pretty straight forward to me. Mad-o-kah Magic-a.


I hear it pronounced "Muh-Dough-Kuh Magic-UH" ALL THE TIME rather than "Mah-Dough-Kah Mah-Gee-Kah" and it's really frustrating. Especially when people try to correct me with their wrong pronunciation.

The producer even corrected people on the pronunciation at Otakon. I suppose it just didn't stick. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
bored-otaku



Joined: 08 Jan 2010
Posts: 105
Location: Odessa,Texas

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me, but I never get tired of seeing that little nuzzle (or snuggle, whichever) between Homura and Madoka. So cute Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mirri



Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 304

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Please, fans, take note that Madoka Magica is pronounced with a hard 'G' (as evidenced by this trailer). I'm sick of hearing it mispronounced at every convention I go to.


How have you heard it pronounced? It seems pretty straight forward to me. Mad-o-kah Magic-a.


I hear it pronounced "Muh-Dough-Kuh Magic-UH" ALL THE TIME rather than "Mah-Dough-Kah Mah-Gee-Kah" and it's really frustrating. Especially when people try to correct me with their wrong pronunciation.

The producer even corrected people on the pronunciation at Otakon. I suppose it just didn't stick. Rolling Eyes


Always assumed that it was pronounced Madoka Magicka in English and Ma-Gi-Ka in Japanese due to some confusion over spelling vs. pronunciation of the word Magic in English.

It's good to know that's the official way, I say it each way about half of the time because people always kept saying "Magicka! Magicka!" so in front of those people I say it that way to avoid starting arguments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 987

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Please, fans, take note that Madoka Magica is pronounced with a hard 'G' (as evidenced by this trailer). I'm sick of hearing it mispronounced at every convention I go to.


How have you heard it pronounced? It seems pretty straight forward to me. Mad-o-kah Magic-a.


I hear it pronounced "Muh-Dough-Kuh Magic-UH" ALL THE TIME rather than "Mah-Dough-Kah Mah-Gee-Kah" and it's really frustrating. Especially when people try to correct me with their wrong pronunciation.

The producer even corrected people on the pronunciation at Otakon. I suppose it just didn't stick. Rolling Eyes


Always assumed that it was pronounced Madoka Magicka in English and Ma-Gi-Ka in Japanese due to some confusion over spelling vs. pronunciation of the word Magic in English.

It's good to know that's the official way, I say it each way about half of the time because people always kept saying "Magicka! Magicka!" so in front of those people I say it that way to avoid starting arguments.


You're not alone, sister/brother/sentient being. Very Happy Though I just pronounce it the official way every time because I happen to love the way it rhymes. Cool No judgment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
hpulley



Joined: 26 Sep 2012
Posts: 407

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Just look at the Japanese title, all you need to know for how to pronounce it. Japanese is very simple to pronounce, almost always just as it appears and 'gi' is always 'gi' like the name of the karategi "gi" uniform. It is never 'ji'.

魔法少女まどか★マギカ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 987

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
Just look at the Japanese title, all you need to know for how to pronounce it. Japanese is very simple to pronounce, almost always just as it appears and 'gi' is always 'gi' like the name of the karategi "gi" uniform. It is never 'ji'.

魔法少女まどか★マギカ


I think they get confused because of the english word 'magic':

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
hpulley



Joined: 26 Sep 2012
Posts: 407

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes indeed, they are confusing "Magica" with the word "magic".

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. Most people will know what you mean and may cringe and/or correct you if you say it wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 987

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
Yes indeed, they are confusing "Magica" with the word "magic".

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. Most people will know what you mean and may cringe and/or correct you if you say it wrong.


And if they try to specifically correct my pronunciation, I can easily rebuff them. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
xeroth



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
You're correct on the pronunciation from a Japanese point of view, they do seem to translate the show's title to 'Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica' rather often as well.

However surely to correctly pronounce 'Puella Magi Madoka Magica' you wouldn't pronounce it the Japanese way as it's in Latin? Apart from Madoka's name of course.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 987

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
xeroth wrote:
You're correct on the pronunciation from a Japanese point of view, they do seem to translate the show's title to 'Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica' rather often as well.

However surely to correctly pronounce 'Puella Magi Madoka Magica' you wouldn't pronounce it the Japanese way as it's in Latin? Apart from Madoka's name of course.


It's a hard 'G' either way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Ghstmtrx



Joined: 06 Mar 2008
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
So how do I pronounce the anime "Rental Magica"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hpulley



Joined: 26 Sep 2012
Posts: 407

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:
So how do I pronounce the anime "Rental Magica"?


レンタルマギカ

"Rental Magika" also with a hard "gi" and the r's are closer to L's so almost "Lental Magika" just like how Gargantia's レド "Redo" is actually closer to "Ledo" which is the official way to write his name in English.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ianiceboy



Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
xeroth wrote:
You're correct on the pronunciation from a Japanese point of view, they do seem to translate the show's title to 'Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica' rather often as well.

However surely to correctly pronounce 'Puella Magi Madoka Magica' you wouldn't pronounce it the Japanese way as it's in Latin? Apart from Madoka's name of course.


It's a hard 'G' either way.

Maybe if it were proper Latin, but it's not. If they're going to give the series a silly name, I'm going to pronounce their translation however I like.

- Mahou Shoujo Madoka Mah-Gi-Ka
- Puella Magi Madoka Ma-Ji-Ka
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group