• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Planetes (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:45 am Reply with quote
I also curious, Tanabe seems to be as naive on the other extreme, spoiler[a mindlessly loyal and sincere corporate employee.] I gather that the two eventually balance each other out and they spoiler[become a working team/romantic couple, each with a more nuanced view of reality.]

All the Best,

Nani?
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
As far as the moon and space colonies go I doubt that that will happen. This is because human bodies are meant to live on Earth. Therefore if you lived on the moon or on Mars you would not be able to return to earth after living there for a long period of time. Space colonies are more likely a reality because you can simulate gravity by having a gigantic cylinder spin. This way you will be able to come back to earth and be able to live. As far as missions to Jupiter, I am not sure that that will happen in 70 years. The space crafts that they have made designs for are very complex and can travel through space very well, except for one thing, speed. The only reason I cannot see a mission to Jupiter taking place would be because it would take to long to get there, at least ten years.

Also independent companies seperate from governments have already begun to explore space. All kinds of satelites are in orbit right now. Most of these are for Telecomunications, however I am certain that it is just a matter of time before some rich guy decides to build a space station and goes up there.
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else think the ending was a bit rushed? And I also heard that Yukimura had started a new manga, is there any merit to this?
Thanks to everyone who posted.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
Alchemist449 wrote:
Does anyone else think the ending was a bit rushed? And I also heard that Yukimura had started a new manga, is there any merit to this?
Thanks to everyone who posted.

In some ways, yeah. As I said before, the final volume was a step down from the third volume. However, I think the ending was well done. Yukimura went against convention in that he didn't resolve some of the situations, but I honestly think that was for the best. We already watched Hachi develop as a person the previous volumes, so Yukimura just left it open ended on spoiler[whether his marriage survives the trip home from Jupiter, or a variety of the other character's fates]. I can understand why some people find it rushed, but the guy said what he wanted to say and ended it in a wonderfully understated way.
As for his new series, it's called Vinland Saga. From what I've read it's a great adventure saga about, you guessed it, Vikings. One of the better shonen titles I've seen in a long while, with great art and battle scenes. Recently the series transfered from Shonen Magazine to Afternoon, an anthology usually associated with seinen titles. Yukimura is notoriously slow, and he couldn't keep up with Magazine's weekly pace (Afternoon is monthly). I'll be interested to see if he also takes it in a more mature direction.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:

(Only have seen first volume of the Anime DVD) I disagree with this. He is talented and tough minded as he shows spoiler[when he prevents the collision of Cheng Shin's ship and the military satalite].

YOu know the manga and the anime arent' exactly the same. While we're discussing about the manga, a lot of events and character in the anime arnt' the same and happen at different times. Even tanabe isn't the same as she spoiler[was really Hachi's replacement when he left for Jupiter ]. I also dispise how they made Yuri into an animal loving maniac and add a bunch of goofy character like the chief.

The first 3 volume of the manga developed much better than the anime and I can see why it's a sienen (with a lot of touching moment that adults can identify with), as oppose to the anime which I think is more shonen on how it handle things.

So yes, please read the manga first, it's definitely superior and more well place than the anime. While the anime is good (probably one of the best anime in 2005), it seem to follow a generic formula of being comedy and goofy at first and then serious and introspective around the end of the episode. It would have been better if it follow closely with the original work and character developement.
Ardlien

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
And from the depths she rises...

I finished watching through this series just recently after hearing good things, but found myself quite profoundly disappointed. There are a number of brilliant parts of the show; just in the first minute or so as the dangers of space debris are introduced I thought the anime would be an instant favorite, however, as it moved from science fiction to typical "slice of life" with hefty doses of comedy, to corporate/political drama, to romance, the series' identity as what people seem to call "hard science fiction" seemed utterly lost to me.

The show survives as a comedy early on. I believe this is due to the sharp contrast they draw between the laid back office work environment, and the silent and far more serious space-side expeditions. As has been established the attention to detail with regard to the physics of day to day tasks is quite breathtaking. I found the subtler instances of this, such as the use of bars on floors and walls to anchor feet, more impressive than the explicitly explained manoeuvres that Tanabe is trained in. The comedy itself isn't hurt by the conservative animation style, though I found the more ridiculous situations spoiler[The lunar ninjas is what I have in mind here] quite a bit more entertaining.

The series' movement into the wider drama of the political situation in this future world lets it down I think. The ideas themselves, spoiler[of class separation on the national level being perpetuated in space exploration] are valid, however the devices used to deliver these messages are repetitive spoiler[without exception a stereotypical terrorist group's attack]. While the question of which side is right is left somewhat open, the fact is the only meaningful contact the main characters have with these ideas spoiler[are chance encounters and "save the day" moments]. This detracts from the realism of the series not only in terms of the role of these astro-garbo-nauts(tm) but also in the attention to detail that sets the series apart in the first place. spoiler[notice in the face-off between Hakim and Hachi that Hachi is floating in the middle of a zero-g room with nothing anchoring him, and yet he's stationary. The fight with the lunar ninjas also had an interesting take on gravity as Hachi was able to jump on the backs of each ninja in mid-air despite having nothing to push him down faster].

The other qualms I had with the political questions raised was the characters' reactions, and the apparent on-a-dime reversals of opinions. spoiler[Here I'm thinking of Claire, where her movement towards the ideals of the Space Defense Force were relatively well fleshed out, but her sudden complacent attitude while imprisoned (and her 10 year sentence for attempting to murder 120,000 people!?!?) didn't sit well with my image of her character].

Ahhh yes, we finally come to the romance. I can finally let loose on this mother of blunders. spoiler[Why oh why did they decide to conclude with a romance? And with a completely unexplored one at that? The relationship between Tanabe and Hachimaki is certainly an interesting one, however for the majority of the show it is that of a mentor and pupil; Tanabe to the end calls Hachi "sempai." When after Tanabe's place in the team is established, the idea of romance between student and master is raised, the attempt to me smacks of (for lack of a better description) obligation. No better is this demonstrated than in the feeble attempts at conversation after apparently deciding to become involved with each other. Cheng-shin's interest in Tanabe seemed to be a more genuine direction for the plot to go since it could raise more dramatic tension but that too was not explored at all, so that it seemed to my eyes to be a passing obsession]. Long spoiler, however the gist is that what romance there is doesn't in my opinion fit with the characterization of earlier episodes. spoiler[The conclusion of the series dissapointingly hinges on this fragile image of romance, and most despairingly of all restates Tanabe's naive notion of love being some magical panacea, which again is troublingly accepted on a whim by characters who had previously been completely opposed to it].

I cannot speak of the problems with this series without specifically pointing out the music. I did not like it to put it bluntly. The opening and ending themes are cheerful and poppy, fitting for the first half os the show, but they remain so for the duration of the series,spoiler[ In some cases juxtaposing the grim conclusion of a serious episode ridiculously with that whimsical "ding ding ding do, da da da ding"]. The music during the episodes was equally frustrating. Often in a poignant moment, what I can only describe as melodic digitized sighing would abruptly destroy any emotional attachment I had to the show. I read somewhere that the makers knew the value of a silent background, but I disagree strongly, as countless times I rued the addition of these soppy and altogether unendearing tracks to situations that needed thought better suited to silence, or a response better suited to a song with some kind of power to it. In particular I compare the score with a masterpiece like Princess Mononoke where each theme actually augments the story's pace and significantly enhances the emotions involved. Planetes' score comes off as lazy, repetitive and unnecessary in comparison.

All this is not to say I didn't enjoy the series, but my need to so blatantly complain about its problems comes from those first few moments in the first episode, from what I feel the series could have been. In all honesty I believe the concept would have been better suited to a movie, centering around spoiler[at least partially, Yuri's story, as this held the most power over me]. I think the trans-genre nature of the show killed its ability to effectively convey any type of message, which I personally think should be a goal of any "hard" sci-fi. Though the execution of these little sections of comedy and politics etc were each seperately thought out well in relation to the world of 2075, they weren't adequately meshed, or perhaps couldn't be properly connected to the central concept/characters.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
Whoah, I forgot I made this, how retro. Very Happy

Anyhow, I did eventually finish the series and it ended up being one of my absolute favorites.

Quote:
I cannot speak of the problems with this series without specifically pointing out the music. I did not like it to put it bluntly. The opening and ending themes are cheerful and poppy, fitting for the first half os the show, but they remain so for the duration of the series,spoiler[ In some cases juxtaposing the grim conclusion of a serious episode ridiculously with that whimsical "ding ding ding do, da da da ding"]. The music during the episodes was equally frustrating. Often in a poignant moment, what I can only describe as melodic digitized sighing would abruptly destroy any emotional attachment I had to the show. I read somewhere that the makers knew the value of a silent background, but I disagree strongly, as countless times I rued the addition of these soppy and altogether unendearing tracks to situations that needed thought better suited to silence, or a response better suited to a song with some kind of power to it. In particular I compare the score with a masterpiece like Princess Mononoke where each theme actually augments the story's pace and significantly enhances the emotions involved. Planetes' score comes off as lazy, repetitive and unnecessary in comparison.

I don't know about that while I'd agree most of soundtrack is forgetable, "Jupiter Highway", "Urgent Mission", and "Floating Ruin" give me chills. They're some really powerful songs.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
Being a science fiction afficiando I can say this one of the best hard core sci fi anime series I've ever seen-right beside Crest of the Stars. I like the character development and the storyline-technobabble is pretty much absent and the relationship between technology and life is realistic.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I got the Legends set on saturday and finally watched the first disc today, and I can so far say that I like it. The first episode nearly threatened to turn into a peace not war thing, but I'm glad it didn't, and since then, its been about interesting stories about the characters, like a slice-of-life sci-fi so far. I'm itching to see the rest of it now.
I mostly got it because I've had it recommended to me and I've yet to hear any major complaints about this anime so far (I've heard complaints about most other things I've seen and liked, including Monster, Mushi-shi, and Crest of the Stars), so I decided to give this a shot, even if it went against my rule about buying blind.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
This anime has high rating, but only because most of views, unlike me, can ignore the incredible amount of nonsense that is in the setting and in what happens.

My issue with almost all of sci-fi (mecha) shows is that authors do not care enough to think through the setting and what happens in the story in terms of even basic common sense how future is going to be.

And, as always, my advice to those authors is to never go to "sci-fi" genre as it requires "sci", i.e. "science", to be reasonable. If authors are incapable of coming up with that, they should better choose "fantasy" genre, which operates with sorcery.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Wed May 13, 2015 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
What kind of nonsense is it this time? The setting in Planetes is pretty realistic in my opinion. Also I think Planetes had a fairly good attention to detail, like how laws of physics are respected (for example no sound in space).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Cam0--
MaxSouth is, as usual, trolling.

MaxSouth--

You have 6 hours to offer some sort of justification for your opinion. If you don't, then your post disappears.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
"As usual"?

You might want to look at definition of "trolling". "Trolls" never care to have detailed reasoning for whatever they say, and I always have. So I am waiting for your apology for your claim about "MaxSouth is, as usual, trolling". This personal attack is against the rules.

And I am not trolling this time, either. I just started to watch the series, but I am hesitant on whether to post on the issues I see on the fly, or accumulate it and post a big comment by the time I finish watching the series.

Since people are so shocked that "sci" part of this show is not realistic, I am posting the first unedited draft of my notes on this:

spoiler[the premise is about space debris, but by 2075, the time of setting, this issue would be already resolved (a fully automated process would be active: satellites with electromagnets and other methods would grab the garbage)

by 2075 there will be no need for cosmonauts or astronauts at all, everything is going to be fully robotic

Data will get to navigational matrix on its own, there is no need for manual operator for that -- it is space control center of 2075, not 1975. Though even by 1968 (computers were already used in both USSR and USA space centres, it was not manual at the time either)

Japanese workers that are prepared for jobs with international setting perfectly know the etiquette: they will not scream while they are presenting themselves

such clumsy empty-head character as presented would never pass to be in space, even by lax standards of 2075

and yes, astronauts (even though they will not be necessary) will be taught to confirm they got a message

debris-cleaning operations will not be held just 58 minutes before fatal crush with a satellite, it would be done earlier]

Last edited by MaxSouth on Wed May 13, 2015 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
^
If you honestly don't like the fact that that I called you out on trolling, then by all means please* complain to Zac Bertschy.

*Pretty please; with sugar on top of it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[the premise is about space debris, but by 2075, the time of setting, this issue would be already resolved (a fully automated process would be active: satellites with electromagnets and other methods would grab the garbage)]

Well excuse me, I didn't know you were a time traveler. I mean how else could you possibly know what happens in 2075.

For the record, I don't think MaxSouth is a troll. He just has some... peculiar opinions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7