• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chūnibyō demo Koi ga Shitai! Anime Gets 2nd TV Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kastel

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Moe is a theme in that it refers to the conflict between the human tendency to seek inherent value and meaning in life and the human inability to find any. In this context Moe does not mean "logically impossible", but rather "humanly impossible". The universe and the human mind do not each separately cause the Moe, but rather, the Moe arises by the contradictory nature of the two existing simultaneously. Therefore, Moe is also a philosophical school of thought stating that the efforts of humanity to find inherent meaning will ultimately fail because the sheer amount of information as well as the vast realm of the unknown make certainty impossible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Kastel wrote:
Moe is a concept in that it refers to the conflict between the human tendency to seek inherent value and meaning in life and the human inability to find any. In this context absurd does not mean "logically impossible", but rather "humanly impossible". The universe and the human mind do not each separately cause the Moe, but rather, the Moe arises by the contradictory nature of the two existing simultaneously. Therefore, Moe is also a philosophical school of thought stating that the efforts of humanity to find inherent meaning will ultimately fail because the sheer amount of information as well as the vast realm of the unknown make certainty impossible.

According to ANN it means:

"Moe is a Japanese term used in connection with manga or anime to describe something precious, usually (but not always) the ideal of youthful and innocent femininity. Written with the kanji for "to bud or sprout" (萌), the concept covers a range of ideal behaviour for youthful female characters in manga or anime. To be moe, a character can be eager or perky, not overly independent, and call forth a desire in the viewer to protect them and nurture them. The term is also used to describe any preciously cute item; there is an animal mascot character store in Tokyo called Moe.

There is a lot of debate over the crossover between moe fandom and lolicon. While the crossover exists among fans and products the two genres are not synonymous."

Though I'm sure there is an existing school of thought to describe what you typed. Nihilism, perhaps?
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
And clearly emphasizing ideals like "innocence" and "purity" creates problems in real life for the people who supposedly "fall short" of them:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21299324
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
In my perfect world, we'd be getting a second season of Hyouka AND Chunibyo.

In my perfect world, we'd be getting a third season of Haruhi and a fourth TV anime of Full Metal Panic before Hyouka or Chuunibyou gets more.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
And I'm sure I can tell what you're all thinking:

Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I like how you are projecting views onto people that have no actual basis in reality just to make yourself feel better about your own taste in anime.

If all you can do in a thread is insult an entire group, then don't [expletive] post.

Edit: No, we think you're a [expletive] troll.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Since Yuuta and Rikka's story is basically over, the focus this time will be on the blooming romance between Shinka and Sanae.

Right? RIGHT?!

Now THAT would be daring and worth watching.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I like how you are projecting views onto people that have no actual basis in reality just to make yourself feel better about your own taste in anime.

If all you can do in a thread is insult an entire group, then don't [expletive] post.

Edit: No, we think you're a [expletive] troll.

Projection:

1. An estimate or forecast of a future situation or trend based on a study of present ones. (Don't think so)

2.The presentation of an image on a surface, esp. a movie screen. (Don't think so)

And Psychologically:

"Psychological projection was first conceptualized by Sigmund Freud as a defence mechanism in which a person unconsciously rejects his or her own unacceptable attributes by ascribing them to objects or persons in the outside world instead. Thus, projection involves projecting negative qualities onto others, and is a common psychological process. Theoretically, projection and the related projective identification reduces anxiety by allowing the unconscious expression of the unwanted unconscious impulses or desires through displacement." (Most definitely not)

So it seems as though your use of that term is unwarranted.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

So it seems as though your use of that term is unwarranted.

So not only are you a troll, you only know three possible definitions of "projection" and you had to look all of them up.

Please stop. This is embarrassing.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I love how you've clarified exactly what context you're using that word in and I love how you've attacked my decision to make sure I understand the word in the correct context.

Are you laboring under the impression that I reject Moe because I like Moe? (That would be reaction formation) What exactly do you think I like about it?
Vylash

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Kastel wrote:
Moe is a concept in that it refers to the conflict between the human tendency to seek inherent value and meaning in life and the human inability to find any. In this context absurd does not mean "logically impossible", but rather "humanly impossible". The universe and the human mind do not each separately cause the Moe, but rather, the Moe arises by the contradictory nature of the two existing simultaneously. Therefore, Moe is also a philosophical school of thought stating that the efforts of humanity to find inherent meaning will ultimately fail because the sheer amount of information as well as the vast realm of the unknown make certainty impossible.

According to ANN it means:

"Moe is a Japanese term used in connection with manga or anime to describe something precious, usually (but not always) the ideal of youthful and innocent femininity. Written with the kanji for "to bud or sprout" (萌), the concept covers a range of ideal behaviour for youthful female characters in manga or anime. To be moe, a character can be eager or perky, not overly independent, and call forth a desire in the viewer to protect them and nurture them. The term is also used to describe any preciously cute item; there is an animal mascot character store in Tokyo called Moe.

There is a lot of debate over the crossover between moe fandom and lolicon. While the crossover exists among fans and products the two genres are not synonymous."

Though I'm sure there is an existing school of thought to describe what you typed. Nihilism, perhaps?
Moe is a completely fan made term, there is no definition for it
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I love how you've clarified exactly what context you're using that word in and I love how you've attacked my decision to make sure I understand the word in the correct context.

Christ I'm sorry I used a word in a way that was too hard for your brain.

The point is you have this idea of what "moe fans" are like, and are then projecting it onto the entire group, and using that as evidence that they and the shows they like are terrible.

Its a form of strawman argument.

Not to mention you stomped into this thread and started insulting people with your very first post in it. How is that NOT [expletive] trolling?
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm slamming the door on one thing right now:

We are not going to have a debate on the meaning of "moe" in this thread. Period.

Yes, I know that one cannot accurately describe this series without "moe" coming up, but there have been plenty of other threads lately to expound on what does or does not constitute moe, and whether moe can or cannot be used as a theme or genre, in excruciating detail. This thread will not be allowed to get bogged down in it, too. So regardless of which side of the issue you stand on, just don't.

I will be watching this over the next couple of days as closely as my work schedule allows.

Last edited by Key on Wed May 08, 2013 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Okay, I'm slamming the door on one thing right now:

We are not going to have a debate on the meaning of "moe" in this thread. Period.

Yes, I know that one cannot accurately describe this series without "moe" coming up, but there have been plenty of other threads lately to expound on what does or does not constitute moe, and whether moe can or cannot be used as a theme or genre, in excruciating detail. This thread will not be allowed to get bogged down in it, too. So regardless of which side of the issue you stand on, just don't.

Okay.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope this airs before Kyoukai no Kanata does so I can ignore that much easier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4