• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Compile Heart, Final Fantasy's Amano & Uematsu Reveal Fairy Fencer F RPG

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Disappointing that we're getting moe Tsunako to do the character designs versus Amano, who they had hyped up about. Really sucks. Amano's designs are not exactly anime-ish, but they are translated into that setting (FF9's Garnet, Zidane, etc). It sucks we aren't getting what we were told.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Did he do the character designs of IX? The manual's credits don't say he did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Amano's designs are not exactly anime-ish, but they are translated into that setting (FF9's Garnet, Zidane, etc).

They look as well translated in FF9 concept art as say the renditions of other Amano inspired character designs in Dissidia, meaning you can see the influence, but the final product is unquestionabley different from the source.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Problem with using Dissidia as an example is that Nomura re-did the designs. But if that's an example of his designs in 3d, then I don't see the problem. They look great, just obviously diminished from the art.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Alexander55

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
The girls look pretty but it just looks like its going to be just another standard JRPG game. Well not standard since a couple of FF folks are attached to it but let's hope they are able to spice off the innovation out of this one.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Yes, how terrible that we're getting more designs from an up-and-coming character designer instead of from the guy who's literally been doing this for decades.

How terrible for Tsunako to take that work from poor, oppressed Amano whom nobody ever hires for anything!
Primus

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
More trash from Compile Heart, great ...

What a fake out, this was the teaser for the game. So much for me thinking Compile Heart would change their ways.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

What a fake out, this was the teaser for the game. So much for me thinking Compile Heart would change their ways.

I don't see any character art there so...?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yes, how terrible that we're getting more designs from an up-and-coming character designer instead of from the guy who's literally been doing this for decades.

How terrible for Tsunako to take that work from poor, oppressed Amano whom nobody ever hires for anything!
Yeah, but we don't get a lot of games with art from Amano and we rarely see games today with character designs like his either.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Yeah, but we don't get a lot of games with art from Amano and we rarely see games today with character designs like his either.

Ok? So what?
Primus

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Primus wrote:

I don't see any character art there so...?

When you see that art you don't expect doe-eyed, short skirted generic moe art to be the character style.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Ok? So what?

Yes, how terrible that we want more designs from a unique, talented, and classic character designer instead of from some person that does other IF/CH games, will continue doing them, and just produces generic stuff anyway.

How terrible for Tsunako to take that work from poor, Amano whom nobody ever hires for game character designs and who's designs stray away from the norm of today!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
When you see that art you don't expect doe-eyed, short skirted generic moe art to be the character style.

Well aren't you just the arbiter of how things should or should not be! I'm so glad you're here to tell us how things SHOULD be, since clearly the people at Compile Heart have no experience in making games!

Rahxephon91 wrote:

Yes, how terrible that we want more designs from unique, talented, and classic character designer instead of from some person that does other IF/CH games, will continue doing them, and just produces generic stuff anyway.

How terrible for Tsunako to take that work from poor, Amano whom nobody ever hires for game character designs and who's designs stray away from the norm of today!

Look, Amano does amazing, gorgeous art that is almost completely unsuited to being used as actual character designs. It just doesn't work. His style is not one that transfers in that way.

Not to mention, it looks to me like he's doing background and perhaps creature concepts. I don't think its stated anywhere that he was ever in charge of character designs and concepts.

I'm so sorry that you are spectacularly butthurt that Tsunako is doing the designs. No wait, I'm not sorry, I'm enjoying your pain and misery immensely.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Hey man you're the one who made this post..

Quote:

where...

1. No one said anything about feeling sorry for Amano.

2. Amano doesn't actually do that many games.

3. It's not like this other character designer won't be making more games in the future.

I don't know, seemed like kind of a lame post.

Quote:
Well aren't you just the arbiter of how things should or should not be! I'm so glad you're here to tell us how things SHOULD be, since clearly the people at Compile Heart have no experience in making games!
Eh, he's not saying how things should be done. He's saying that when you hear Amano being associated with something, it kind of comes with some expectations. I'd think you'd have to be lying to disagree. And no I don't think anyone would see Amano art and then expect a game with the usual Idea Factory look. Come on!

Code:
Look, Amano does amazing, gorgeous art that is almost completely unsuited to being used as actual character designs. It just doesn't work. His style is not one that transfers in that way.
Why? What current gen games have tired? None, so how do we know? You don't. And seeing as how the Dissida re-imgniations turned out pretty good, not sure why full blown ones wouldn't. And hell, I'd take imperfect copies over the usual Idea Factory stuff.

Quote:
Not to mention, it looks to me like he's doing background and perhaps creature concepts. I don't think its stated anywhere that he was ever in charge of character designs and concepts.
Don't think it was clear exactly what he was doing character designs or not, hence the disappointment that he isn't and this other artist is. One that seems to already do these games, which I'm not quite sure what that implies.
Quote:
I'm so sorry that you are spectacularly butthurt that Tsunako is doing the designs. No wait, I'm not sorry, I'm enjoying your pain and misery immensely.
Yep, because I'm voicing dislike I must be butthurt and sad and in pain. Yes, I'm taking this so seriously. No, I will simply go back to not buying their games like I already do.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Eh, he's not saying how things should be done. He's saying that when you hear Amano being associated with something, it kind of comes with some expectations. I'd think you'd have to be lying to disagree. And no I don't think anyone would see Amano art and then expect a game with the usual Idea Factory look. Come on!

Thats YOUR problem. Not theirs. YOU made assumptions about the game and now YOU are upset that its not precisely what YOU assumed it would be and are taking it out on other people

PERSONALLY I vastly prefer Tsunako's designs over Amano's and am completely excited for this.

Quote:
Why? What current gen games have tired? None, so how do we know? You don't. And seeing as how the Dissida re-imgniations turned out pretty good, not sure why full blown ones wouldn't. And hell, I'd take imperfect copies over the usual Idea Factory stuff.

I can guarantee that Amano did not do the actual working designs for Dissidia.

Quote:
Yep, because I'm voicing dislike I must be butthurt and sad and in pain. Yes, I'm taking this so seriously. No, I will simply go back to not buying their games like I already do.

Well good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7