Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Compile Heart, Final Fantasy's Amano & Uematsu Reveal Fairy Fencer F RPG


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 1590
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
If you want to see the bias between Western and Japanese games, look no further than this:

http://kaonazhie.wordpress.com/​2012/​05/​30/​dragons-​dogma-​vs-​skyrim/​

IGN is basically harping on Dragon's Dogma for having the same issues Skyrim has, but they overlook the issues in Skyrim.


IGN isn't a single person with one opinion that rules over the entire site. Those two games were reviewed by two different people:

http://ca.ign.com/​articles/​2012/​05/​21/​dragons-​dogma-​review
http://ca.ign.com/​articles/​2011/​11/​10/​the-​elder-​scrolls-​v-​skyrim-​review
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Sleverin wrote:
This is a snarky response but...it's nice to know that the hate for each other's market is mutual, am I right guys? Because the Japanese never dislike Western stuff, no sir.

End snarky remark. I do agree in the end, however. I feel that both sides need to suck it up and stop trying to have this sill sort of pissing match about W and J RPGS being the bomb as lon gas they come from their own cultures. I'm not talking about fellow forum posters, by the way, the reviews and perceptions from each side. Kinda hard to get over that kinda thinking though.


Yeah, both are definitely biased to their own games.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-05-01/japan-video-game-rankings-april-22-28

Bioshock Infinite is THE big game of the year so far over here, yet it gets outsold quite handily by Photo Kano in Japan. Different cultures just prefer different things, so there will be cultural bias because of that. The West likes shooting stuff, while Japan isn't as big on mindless violence. Neither is really wrong or right, just different preferences.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4036

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Bioshock Infinite is THE big game of the year so far over here, yet it gets outsold quite handily by Photo Kano in Japan. Different cultures just prefer different things, so there will be cultural bias because of that. The West likes shooting stuff, while Japan isn't as big on mindless violence. Neither is really wrong or right, just different preferences.


Almost every single big name American game is an FPS, which Japan is just not into. A few non FPS games do decently over there. Not as well as Japanese games, but better than the other stuff. It's more of an issue America's biggest hits are shooters which Japan couldn't care less about. Japan's big titles can range from platformers like Mario, to action games like Zelda and Resident Evil, to RPGs like Final Fantasy. I think there's just a bit more variety in Japanese gaming which is why you see some discrepancy in the sales figures between both countries. Even quite a few big hit RPGs have essentially been shooters like Fallout 3/New Vegas and Mass Effect.

The only FPS that does well/decent in Japan is Call of Duty, mainly because it probably appeals to gun otaku. More 'silly/unrealistic' games like Bioshock or Borderlands probably do not satisfy gun otaku like Call of Duty does, which is why they tend to get ignored.

Primus wrote:
IGN isn't a single person with one opinion that rules over the entire site. Those two games were reviewed by two different people:


IGN may not be a single person, but it doesn't mean there isn't a general attitude about a lot of things. Besides, you would assume a big name site like that would have some sort of guideline or baseline standard for all their reviews. When you flat out call Skyrim's combat clunky and awful but still rate the system a 9.5 compared to a combat system you think is fleshed out and amazing and it gets a 7 or an 8 then something is a bit off with the numbers. It's generally why I hate number scores. People won't read the review and just scroll down to see the number. Without a number they have to actually read a critique and come to their own conclusion on something rather than just use some arbitrary number.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
http://kotaku.com/​5982367/​here-​are-​the-​top-​30-​games-​japanese-​gamers-​are-​looking-​forward-​to-​in-​2013

Japan can appreciate Western games sometimes if its a 3rd person game (Last of Us and GTA 5 are on this list of Japans 30 top anticipated games of 2013), but thats about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1791
Location: Park Forest IL.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Internet complaints in general are terrible to go by. Despite "all the hate" FFXIII still sold more than alot of AAA games that get nothing but praise and tongue-baths. Most gamers don't spend their time arguing on the internet.
Not really, not when we are talking about a niche but vocal jrpg community.

And who cares about sales when it's clear everywhere in the world that XIII's response was not overly positive. In Japan alone XIII-2 did not sell anywhere close as XIII. Plus XIII's sales only seem high because of it's shipped worldwide numbers, not actually sold.

It apparently was clear to the developers themselves when XIII-2 is the response and "lets fix all the problems" game.

Quote:
Maybe in the west, I guess, but in Japan it got average reviews and average sales. Tales of Xillia and Graces-F sold 3 times more than it did. More traditional RPGs like Tales are the clear stronger brand in this case, and I definitely agree and prefer Tales games over it.
Find me the reviews. The Famitsu review was positive, but lets ignore them because they suck. It's sales were what about what every non brand name jrpg sells? And also on the system where not even a Tales game sold that great? So really without the context given going "lol sales" really means nothing. Espicailly when it's look at how these brand name games sold on a system with the right audience in a country where brand new ips are possibly even harder to hit it off.

Quote:
I don't care what western reviewers or gamers say about Japanse games, let alone metacritic which is a horribly corrupt and bias system. These are the same people who made the list I linked to.
I don't care about metacritic, but I'm sorry your point was wrong. You're trying to claim there's this bias and even saying Metacrtic proves the bias, but yet looking up well reviewed Japanese games proves that hey they got good reviews as well. Especially a game like Xenoblade that has a 92% metacritic. So where's the bias?

Quote:
Same reason why horror games suck when you have co-op like Dead Space. Hard to appreciate the story and atmosphere when you have some dudebro on the other end of your mic making jokes and insults or teabagging corpses. More than likely if they were co-op you'd get a partner whining to skip the story bits and not explore towns and talk to people and just get into fights so you can play already. I play Tales as a single player experience and having 3 other people on some party mic system would ruin that. The story in Diablo and Borderlands is a non-factor so co-op work in those games.
Ok? Your personal opinion. You didn't like Dead Space 3? Fine, but the co-op is not the reason it's horror elements failed. No that has to do with the direction and tone the developers went for. Co-op done well could add incredible tension and horror as brief moments of RE5 can show.

And either way, what you are saying here doesn't take away from the point of adding in the option of co-op(something Tales already does btw) would hurt the game. You want to be stuffy and think having ANYONE ruins and breaks the games level of immersion, fine. But having the ability to experience the same story and experience with a friend or a love one is in no way a negative or shouldn't be done, especially a game like Tales where you can only control one character at a time anyway. Oh no, sharing a story with someone else! What a terrible thing! How dare someone try and talk to me why Kira-San tells me about how he wants to protect EVERYBODY!

Yes, truly everyone but you is like the stereotypical Xbox Live gamer.

Quote:
Dragon Age 2 got 8.5s at IGN and other sites. 8.5 seems pretty good to me. Better than Tales of Graces 7.0, at least.
Graces is a pretty shitty game when it comes to anything not with combat. 7.0 is a pretty decent score either way. 7.0 means it's good. What more do you want? It doesn't even seem to be that highly viewed among Tales fans who just wanted Xillia to come out as soon as possible.

Dragon Age 2 is a terrible game as well. I'm sorry IGN happen to give it basically 1 more point than Graces.(11111 more point the bias!). But it's not like it didn't get trashed elsewhere and you know what, the game was probably running off that Bioware hype. Square was also able to get better reviews then it deserved for XIII probably because it was simply a FF title. So really whats the point? Are you going to get bent out of shape because one site gave DA2 a good score? Do you just chose to ignore the positive reviews for many other games like idk the very Japanese Dark Souls because it dosen't fit the your western media is bias? Maybe they are bias about animu games? Ok you are right. Animu games suck though.

RyanSaotome wrote:
If you want to see the bias between Western and Japanese games, look no further than this:

http://kaonazhie.wordpress.com/​2012/​05/​30/​dragons-​dogma-​vs-​skyrim/​

IGN is basically harping on Dragon's Dogma for having the same issues Skyrim has, but they overlook the issues in Skyrim.
This is quite possibly the dumbest things I have ever read.

Look there's a bias because they gave a game a better review. My points are DD has better box art, better graphics(it dosen't), better gameplay(which is a strange point to make considering the aims of the game).

What makes this person's opinion more valid? It basically is I like DD more so IGN is wrong? Ok?


Quote:
I think there's just a bit more variety in Japanese gaming which is why you see some discrepancy in the sales figures between both countries. Even quite a few big hit RPGs have essentially been shooters like Fallout 3/New Vegas and Mass Effect.
http://www.gameinformer.com/​b/​news/​archive/​2013/​01/​26/​here-​are-​japan-​39-​s-​best-​selling-​games-​of-​2012.​aspx
http://www.gameinformer.com/​b/​news/​archive/​2012/​01/​16/​japan-​39-​s-​best-​selling-​games-​of-​2011.​aspx
http://gamasutra.com/​view/​news/​32214/​Pokemon_PSP_Lead_Jap​anese_Sales_For_2010​.​php

Brand name rpgs and Nintendo stuff. So much variety. So much better then the US. Oh wait, it's basically the same except I guess replace jrpgs with FPS.

Anyway, this is a pointless argument really.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4262

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
http://kotaku.com/​5982367/​here-​are-​the-​top-​30-​games-​japanese-​gamers-​are-​looking-​forward-​to-​in-​2013

Japan can appreciate Western games sometimes if its a 3rd person game (Last of Us and GTA 5 are on this list of Japans 30 top anticipated games of 2013), but thats about it.


GTA V? Seriously?

Japan is anticipating a game that requires a complete comprehensive knowledge of American culture (given that the series is, at heart, a satire of America)? You have to practically be a native to get all the satire.

Also the game is just...not the kind of thing that the Japanese would like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Haterater



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 1070

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
You have to factor in gameplay as well. Might not get all the satire, but I'm sure its universal understanding in shooting stuff and doing random fun things in the city. No different than how some Westerners might not understand some anime tropes or story, but love RPG mechanics and other gameplay types.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
http://kotaku.com/​5982367/​here-​are-​the-​top-​30-​games-​japanese-​gamers-​are-​looking-​forward-​to-​in-​2013

Japan can appreciate Western games sometimes if its a 3rd person game (Last of Us and GTA 5 are on this list of Japans 30 top anticipated games of 2013), but thats about it.


GTA V? Seriously?

Japan is anticipating a game that requires a complete comprehensive knowledge of American culture (given that the series is, at heart, a satire of America)? You have to practically be a native to get all the satire.

Also the game is just...not the kind of thing that the Japanese would like.


I dunno, GTA games have always been pretty popular in Japan. Vice City, San Andreas and GTA4 all sold in the 400-500k range, which is at the level of a typical Tales game. I'm not really a Western gamer myself, I mainly just play Japanese games, yet I love GTA. Theres just something about it thats really fun.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4262

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I dunno, GTA games have always been pretty popular in Japan. Vice City, San Andreas and GTA4 all sold in the 400-500k range, which is at the level of a typical Tales game. I'm not really a Western gamer myself, I mainly just play Japanese games, yet I love GTA. Theres just something about it thats really fun.


Given your distaste for games with lots of bloody violence, I find it somewhat ironic that you like GTA.

In any case, that's surprisingly good. I hope GTA V sells well...maybe there will be some anime-inspired mods for the PC version like there was for SA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4036

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
And who cares about sales when it's clear everywhere in the world that XIII's response was not overly positive.


Yes, who cares about sales. That's why Firefly is on the air because "everyone loved it", right? And the movie wasn't a total bomb. Meanwhile Twilight makes millions yet "everyone hates it", so it should obviously not be made. What's important is "everyone loves/hates it", not the lack of money or tons of money something makes. Not that you could ever prove how many people actually like or dislike something or if it's just angry vocal minorities on the internet.

Quote:
In Japan alone XIII-2 did not sell anywhere close as XIII.


Big deal. X-2 didn't sell as good as X. XII-2 didn't sell as good as XII. That's par for the course for Final Fantasy sequels.

Quote:
Find me the reviews. The Famitsu review was positive, but lets ignore them because they suck.


So find you reviews except reviews you personally will dismiss because you do not like them. No thanks, don't feel like playing that game.

Quote:
It's sales were what about what every non brand name jrpg sells? And also on the system where not even a Tales game sold that great? So really without the context given going "lol sales" really means nothing. Espicailly when it's look at how these brand name games sold on a system with the right audience in a country where brand new ips are possibly even harder to hit it off.


Nah, you don't get to spin this one away. It sold mediocre and had little impact and presence in Japan. There's 'non-brand' RPGs that still sold better than it did. The only people who would dare even try to assert Xenoblade was the best RPG of this generation would be Americans. Japan would pick a Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or Tales game for sure.

Quote:
I don't care about metacritic, but I'm sorry your point was wrong. You're trying to claim there's this bias and even saying Metacrtic proves the bias, but yet looking up well reviewed Japanese games proves that hey they got good reviews as well. Especially a game like Xenoblade that has a 92% metacritic. So where's the bias?


That Xenoblade has more in common with open world western games than JRPGs so they favored it more? Not really hard to figure out. Same way Final Fantasy XII was more praised in America than in Japan. They're essentially the same style of game.

Quote:
Do you just chose to ignore the positive reviews for many other games like idk the very Japanese Dark Souls because it dosen't fit the your western media is bias?


Please explain how Dark Souls is more Japanese than Tales or any other anime RPG. Dark Souls being popular in the west is more than likely because it doesn't use an anime/Japanese looking style and could pass for a western game to the less informed people.

Quote:
http://www.gameinformer.com/​b/​news/​archive/​2013/​01/​26/​here-​are-​japan-​39-​s-​best-​selling-​games-​of-​2012.​aspx
http://www.gameinformer.com/​b/​news/​archive/​2012/​01/​16/​japan-​39-​s-​best-​selling-​games-​of-​2011.​aspx
http://gamasutra.com/​view/​news/​32214/​Pokemon_PSP_Lead_Jap​anese_Sales_For_2010​.​php

Brand name rpgs and Nintendo stuff. So much variety. So much better then the US. Oh wait, it's basically the same except I guess replace jrpgs with FPS.


I wasn't aware Pocket Monsters (RPG), Mario (Platformer), Animal Crossing (Simulation), and Mario Kart (Racing) were all the same genre just because they're Nintendo properties. Not to mention just because they're JRPGs doesn't mean they're the same kind. Fire Emblem is a strategy RPG, Dragon Quest Monsters and Pocket Monsters are monster raising RPGs, Dragon Quest X is an MMO/RPG, and Xillia is an action/traditional RPG. Plus other action games like Resident Evil 6 (shooter) and Yakuza (brawler/beat-em-up). I definitely see more variety on that list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1791
Location: Park Forest IL.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, who cares about sales. That's why Firefly is on the air because "everyone loved it", right? And the movie wasn't a total bomb. Meanwhile Twilight makes millions yet "everyone hates it", so it should obviously not be made. What's important is "everyone loves/hates it", not the lack of money or tons of money something makes. Not that you could ever prove how many people actually like or dislike something or if it's just angry vocal minorities on the internet.
I said who cares about sales in regards of FFXIII, not in regards of some quality =sales point you are trying to make. If you are trying to say that the response to XIII is not actually negative, then you are being delusional. It's a understated thing by now.
Quote:

Big deal. X-2 didn't sell as good as X. XII-2 didn't sell as good as XII. That's par for the course for Final Fantasy sequels.
Um no. X sold pretty much just as well as X, with over a million. XII-2 was not called XII-2 and was on the DS so there's no point bringing that up. X-2 is the only comparison and it sold extremely well thanks to X being a well liked game. Meanwhile XIII-2 dosen't sell as well and doesn't cross a million. IF that dosen't tell you there's something up with XIII's reaction then you are lying to yourself. And we aren't even talking about outside of Japan.
Quote:

So find you reviews except reviews you personally will dismiss because you do not like them. No thanks, don't feel like playing that game.
No, because everyone know's Famitsu is not a credible mag. But hey they gave Xenoblade a 36 which is pretty good, so hey if you want to use them then I guess it also kind of proves you wrong on the "Japanese saw the game as average" thing.

Quote:
Nah, you don't get to spin this one away. It sold mediocre and had little impact and presence in Japan. There's 'non-brand' RPGs that still sold better than it did. The only people who would dare even try to assert Xenoblade was the best RPG of this generation would be Americans. Japan would pick a Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or Tales game for sure.
Actually, if you go by Japanese online gamers it would not be either FF, DQ, or a Tales game. It would be something like Atiler or some other nonsense. Surly not going to be DQ9 or 10 or XIII thats for sure.

And spin. Yes spinning means actually adding context to the situation that defeats your point. But hey if you just want to actually ignore things, be my guess.

And of course I'm talking about American gamers. Um Im not Japanese and I bet none of you are and of course this conversion has always been stated(by me) to be about the west. I mean we were talking about the so called bias in the west right?

Quote:

That Xenoblade has more in common with open world western games than JRPGs so they favored it more? Not really hard to figure out. Same way Final Fantasy XII was more praised in America than in Japan. They're essentially the same style of game.
It's open world because it has explorable zones as seen in such Japanese games as FFXII, FFXI, DQVIII, Grandia 3, White Knight Chronicles.....Really what is so western about these games? Because they have explorable zones? Um what about world maps in jrpgs where you can go where you chose? Does that make say FF6 an open world game and I guess now a western game? Never mind the fact that both Xenobalde and XII are pretty linear games. So really what makes them so much western? Because you don't like them. I mean I find this funny since the point of Xenoblade was that the team was trying to make the best jrpg they could without the problems of their previous games. Is it the addition of side quests? Well I mean that makes game feel more MMoish, not western. So yeah, you'll have to explain to me what makes these games western, because it just seems "because I don't like them".

Actually it just seems to be there to prove some fictional bias. Oh it got good reviews so it must be western. So what about Dark Souls? What about Valkyria Chronicles? Catherine? Persona? Those games are undeniably Japanese(just like Xenoblade is, arguing against that is stupid)

Quote:
Please explain how Dark Souls is more Japanese than Tales or any other anime RPG. Dark Souls being popular in the west is more than likely because it doesn't use an anime/Japanese looking style and could pass for a western game to the less informed people.
So I've figured it out. A game is Japanese for shallow reasons.

Dark Souls is a game only Japanese developers would make. The use of animation as a deliberate mechanic as seen in say Monster Hunter is something you see in a Japanese game. The complete absence of "Hollywood" gaming is just not something you would see in a Japanese game.

You're right it isn't animu(thank god), but I also find it sad that, that's what makes a game Japanese. As if Japanese artwork can't be anymore then animu. Regardless, I don't see a lot of games with as fantastic creature design as Dark Souls, something that Japanese games have always been good at.

Regardless, if your trying to claim animu automatically gets a game negative points. What happen with Tales of Vesperia anyway? Oh wait, it's graphics got a lot of praise.

Quote:
I wasn't aware Pocket Monsters (RPG), Mario (Platformer), Animal Crossing (Simulation), and Mario Kart (Racing) were all the same genre just because they're Nintendo properties. Not to mention just because they're JRPGs doesn't mean they're the same kind. Fire Emblem is a strategy RPG, Dragon Quest Monsters and Pocket Monsters are monster raising RPGs, Dragon Quest X is an MMO/RPG, and Xillia is an action/traditional RPG. Plus other action games like Resident Evil 6 (shooter) and Yakuza (brawler/beat-em-up). I definitely see more variety on that list.
Ok if we are going to play it like this.

http://www.gamesradar.com/​10-​best-​selling-​us-​games-​2012/​

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
2. Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, Vita, Wii U)
3. Halo 4 (360)
4. Assassin's Creed III (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
5. Just Dance 4 (360, PS3, Wii, Wii U)
6. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, PC, Wii U, PSP)
7. Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC)
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
9. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (360, PS3, Wii, PC, 3DS, DS, Vita)
10. FIFA Soccer 13 (360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, Vita, 3DS, PSP)

1. Millitary FPS
2.Football game.
3.Sci fi vehiclar FPS
4. Historic action/stealth game
5.Dancing game.
6.Basketball game
7.Loot rpg fps
8.Yeah another military FPS
9.Family action game
10.Soccer

Yep, there's variety there as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 12228

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Sleverin wrote:
This is a snarky response but...it's nice to know that the hate for each other's market is mutual, am I right guys? Because the Japanese never dislike Western stuff, no sir.

End snarky remark. I do agree in the end, however. I feel that both sides need to suck it up and stop trying to have this sill sort of pissing match about W and J RPGS being the bomb as lon gas they come from their own cultures. I'm not talking about fellow forum posters, by the way, the reviews and perceptions from each side. Kinda hard to get over that kinda thinking though.


Back when Japanese companies pretty much controlled the game market, there was bias against Western games. Now that Japan has shrunk to about a tenth of the global market share, the shoe is on the other foot. But yes, both sides need some moderation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sleverin



Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 153

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's too bad. As I mentioned it seems like an elaborate pissing contest, when instead of talking bad about someone else's games, people should just make arguably better games in the first place. Not unlike Beatles against the Beach Boys. They went back and forth at the professional level of who could make better albums until Brian Wilson developed that crippling mental issue and drug addiction. I'm not saying they should be pushed to the brink of insanity, but hell, just make a better product is all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Sleverin wrote:
Yeah, it's too bad. As I mentioned it seems like an elaborate pissing contest, when instead of talking bad about someone else's games, people should just make arguably better games in the first place. Not unlike Beatles against the Beach Boys. They went back and forth at the professional level of who could make better albums until Brian Wilson developed that crippling mental issue and drug addiction. I'm not saying they should be pushed to the brink of insanity, but hell, just make a better product is all.


The problem is that both sides of the Pacific have different standards of what makes a good game. There are many big sellers/good reviewed games in Japan that wouldn't even get notice in America (Love Plus, Hatsune Miku games, Recent Shining games, etc)... and there are also games that sell great and win all kinds of awards over here Japan has no interest in. Even Dynasty Warriors games still get super high reviews in Japan while the West gives them terrible reviews for being repetitive now. Its just tough to make games that both cultures like... which leads us to Japan making games for Japan and the West making games for the West. Making "Better games" doesn't really mean they'll make games the West is interested in at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sleverin



Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 153

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
Quite true. It's difficult to come to any sort of conclusion. I would like to think that the West would be a bit more capable of being "open minded" (as some of us pride ourselves on) as people admit that Japan suffers from xenophobia. Of course, that doesn't mean that we're any better simply because we aren't from Japan.

I can't help but wonder if it's the market, however. As a kid, a lot of the games I played were from Japanese devs. Now, however, there are a lot more cross-platforming developers in the West. The American games I played as a kid were pretty PC exclusive (at least on the RPG side, like Baldur's Gate) and the console stuff, which I lived on as a kid, seemed pretty Japan dominated. Perhaps this shift in demographic, and allowance for more PC games to be on consoles, has allowed for more critics to flex their muscle on games these days. I could be wrong, of course.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group