• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime with Disaster Scenes Face Changes After Quake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GikuHonishimo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
This is wrong.

I can understand people being traumatized by the incident, and rightly so, but this action still falls victim to sensationalist censorship.

No matter how bad an incident, I'm a firm believer in not caving in to people's emotions. If you have a story to tell, tell it unrestrained.

A good story teller you would not make then.

Sometimes you have to look at things from a fan's point of view, would they really want to see/hear/read about an Earthquake or Tsunami destroying stuff after such an event just happened in real life?

Of course not, you ride a fine line alone just on scenes of destruction being shown after such an event, but a scene of the very same event that just happened? No one wants to see something like that when they're still trying to figure out if loved ones are alright among other issues.

It's not so much caving into people's emotions as it is being realistic and understanding that the words "too soon" are not just some silly joke from an anime abridged series, they have a much more serious undertone and meaning in real life.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
give it sometime and every thing will go back to normal. it's like the "Nice Boat" thing with School Days. It just going to take longer for thing to return to normal.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Um, I don't think that we foreign fans have any right to judge how another society chooses to cope with its grief. We didn't have to suffer through the disaster, and we don't get to decide how the victims have to react to it. It's really none of our business, and it'd be ugly of us to bash on the Japanese people for their decisions.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Not only anime are somewhat delay. I just got this off of Kotaku that several games that were going to be release in Japan are either delayed or cancelled.

Disaster Report 4-Irem said the game is cancelled

Yakuza of the end-delayed

Motorstorm: Apocalypse-delayed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I know I did not experience the earthquake myself, but it seems like it would be more of a sign of strength to be able to acknowledge that the earthquake and tsunami happened and still be able to continue on with entertainment and life as it exists in reality. If anything, the disaster shows would be more apt due to the recent occurrence.

Of course, there is money and a lot of people's feelings involved so as a business these shows may be trying to be sentimental to those that may be affected emotionally. Not to mention trying to save power.

I do wish the best to the Japanese, however, because of any country that is socially strong enough to withstand such an event, I think Japan would be able to handle it (of course it's good to still help).
Jozoiscute

This reminds me of what happened to the original production team of "Lilo and Stitch" back in 2001.

THIS was the original ending to the film---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-s47rHdHYg

....which quickly had to be altered after 9/11.

Last edited by Jozoiscute on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kit-Tsukasa

Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Wonder what this means for Deadman Wonderland? The plot takes place after "The Great Tokyo Earthquake"...

I was wondering the exact same thing. But since that event is not the major happening of the series, I don't think it will effect much. At least I hope...

This is still in 2-3 weeks. I'd be very surprised if they suddenly make a drastic change to the spring line-up since that would be at least 12-13 weeks of material they'd have to change.

As for the Precure movie, I hope that when they release it on DVD and BD they at least leave the movie uncut. This Precure movie looks epic and I'd be very sad if it went to waste because of this disaster.

The censorship is currently understandable but if they're going to turn it into something like the Tokyo Manga Ban or the School Days/Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai incident from 4-5 years ago, I'd be very disappointed in Japan from how they go about dealing with traumatic events. At that point one is just turning a blind eye to the events by trying to have people "forget about it." There are some things you just have to live and put up with. Note that the School Days thing never went back to normal since then (e.g. Highschool of the Dead, which was still severely censored in the BD/DVD release)
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
In non-anime news, "Hereafter" also just got yanked from Japanese theaters for obvious reasons.

I'm surprised Madoka Magica hasn't been delayed, given where this show seems to be going.
infjeff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunate, but absolutely understandable. Entertainment should be sensitive to the emotions of the veiwers during times like this. Foreign fans don't have any right to be upset.

v1cious wrote:

I'm surprised Madoka Magica hasn't been delayed, given where this show seems to be going.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens with Madoka. After the last episode, I can't imagine them finding a good way to edit out the upcoming destruction. Maybe an internet broadcast?
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I really don't approve of edits with this stuff. Things being postponed, yes, but outright changes for the long run? Ah well, guess they rather play it safe to the max right now.

I think most of these are just temporary edits.

As I've said, it could be worse. Episodes have been banned and never aired or release before because of such circumstances.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Then they must start to proactively reschedule/redraw any anime with nuclear meltdowns/radiation poisoning.
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
to be expected i guess, similar things happened with tv shows after 9-11.

But that was different. Do we prevent things showing events like Hurricane Katrina? Natural Disasters and Terrorist Acts are not the same.

This is too much censorship.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
cohenmarioman wrote:
But that was different. Do we prevent things showing events like Hurricane Katrina? Natural Disasters and Terrorist Acts are not the same.

Yeah, but you wouldn't air Twister in New Orleans right after what occurred, would you?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Forget that. I'm wondering if they'll pull disaster-related anime already out on home video for a while like Akira or Ponyo.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
It's not about censorship, it's about not wanting to glorify a familiar situation. It's in bad taste to so so and the public would tend to shun anyone that might be seen as doing so.

There are sensible decisions like, if we were to use the 9/11 example, re-editing the premiere episode of 24 to downplay the plane bombing, which leaves it there but does not glorify it, and also almost nonsensical over-reactions like digitally removing the Twin Towers from then recently shot NY movies like Zoolander.

Interestingly though, as many of you will remember, sales and rental of older disaster films in which buildings were destroyed, like Independence Day, jumped for a while after those attacks, as if people wanted to see an unreal depiction of the horrifying reality.
But, no matter how good the movie actually ended up being, no one wanted to market a movie like Donnie Darko (with it's plot point about a plane crash) at that time and so it ended up with a smaller release than it might have gotten originally and a very delayed video and international release.

It's simply not good business to seem callous. Nerves are raw here. So, expect small changes for awhile and a general avoidance to use earthquake and Tsunami storylines for awhile. But not a complete censorship of any disaster themed show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6