• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime with Disaster Scenes Face Changes After Quake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

All of that is irrelavent. They still said they canceled it becuase of 9/11. The point still stands.

They would've cancelled it regardless, if not by Nick, then by Jhonen himself. 4 months after 9/11 made it sooner rather than just a bit later. Nick and Jhonen couldn't co-exist.
SetoChaos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:51 am Reply with quote
So what does this mean for One Piece and the "Quake Quake fruit"?

Note: I don't read the Manga so I don't know if it has appeared after the point in which the anime is at.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Two Pokemon episodes have been postponed about Team Rocket/Team Plasma arc and will show the next gym leader episode instead.

I understand the need to do these types of things. As long as they are shown/restored at a later date, then there is no need to worry. Let time heal first.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:16 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:

All of that is irrelavent. They still said they canceled it becuase of 9/11. The point still stands.

They would've cancelled it regardless, if not by Nick, then by Jhonen himself. 4 months after 9/11 made it sooner rather than just a bit later. Nick and Jhonen couldn't co-exist.

No way, it was one of Nicklodoen's top rated shows, and to this day one of their largest money makers in merchandise (walk into any hot topic to see). Invader Zim was a Nicktoon on part with the shows of the early to mid-90s, like Ah! Real Monsters, Rocko's Modern Life, and Ren and Stimpy, and the like. It was brash, sometimes disgusting, but highly entertaining for all ages and with questionable content for conservative Christians that had tons of parents calling in to complain. After 9/11 Nickelodeon decided it wanted to start with a different image. Bye bye Invader Zim.

If you are at all familiar with Jhonen Vasquez he's a recluse who hides behind sarcasm - you're not to take everything he posts as serious word for word (do you honestly think he truely means everything he expresses with JTHM for example? Sarcasm to the max there). He loved Invader Zim, it WAS his baby, and they would have gone on for at least another couple of seasons under him (mainly because Nickelodeon had him under contract whether he wanted to or not). He may have eventually left the show, but Nickelodeon would continue to make episodes without him if they deemed it profitable, and if that happened then we'd still be getting posts with him ragging on Nickelodeon.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
According to a much more recent blog post from Jhonen, he'd love to continue working on the show under Nickelodeon. As the above poster stated, his sense of humor is very sarcastic.

Not that any of this means anything, because Invader ZIM was definitely not cancelled due to 9/11. A scene of destruction in "Door to Door" was changed out of courtesy, though. That's much more relevant to this topic.

But, like I said, totally not the reason for ZIM's cancellation. Low ratings with the target demographic (it was more popular with teens than with kids) and an expensive budget (due to all the CG animation) were to blame there.

(Though there are rumors of a revival, if the recent "best of" DVD sells well enough!)
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
SetoChaos wrote:
So what does this mean for One Piece and the "Quake Quake fruit"?

Note: I don't read the Manga so I don't know if it has appeared after the point in which the anime is at.

I'm guessing the Quake Quake fruit will be gone for a while either way. I'm not up do date with the Japanese's One Piece release of the manga, but villains like spoiler[Blackbeard] usually disappear for a good while once they make a major appearance (even more if it's something 1 thousand episodes). People keep saying that retard sister anime was bad timing, while Japan's beloved One Piece just finished airing one of the most important arcs where devastating tsunami and earthquakes occurred, spoiler[characters died, and a whole island (ironic?) nearly sunk due to it.]
stararnold

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
It's sad what Japan is goiing through after the quake, but it does not change how embarrising it is for this year's "Precure" film to have to have tsunami scenes removed, even if the production of this movie was complete months ago. Plus, it's not like the "Precure" production team knew the earthquake was going to happen and then decided to use this movie to haunt audiences lives. Censorship bites.

Hopefully, the uncut and uncensored version of this movie will be considered for an upcming DVD release because fans of "Precure" do not deserve to be deprived of the freedom to watch the anime the way their makers wanted them to be presented.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Two Pokemon episodes have been postponed about Team Rocket/Team Plasma arc and will show the next gym leader episode instead.

I understand the need to do these types of things. As long as they are shown/restored at a later date, then there is no need to worry. Let time heal first.

The Japanese have always had a taste for apocalyptic events in their entertainment, going as far back as the feudal era (and even further back). This will return in time. All this hemming and hawing over people's favourite shows or games being delayed or cancelled is very likely much ado about nothing.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
It's sad what Japan is goiing through after the quake, but it does not change how embarrising it is for this year's "Precure" film to have to have tsunami scenes removed, even if the production of this movie was complete months ago......

Hopefully, the uncut and uncensored version of this movie will be considered for an upcming DVD release because fans of "Precure" do not deserve to be deprived of the freedom to watch the anime the way their makers wanted them to be presented.

Jesus christ, are you kidding me? Do you honestly think anyone in Japan actually cares about a cartoon like Precure having scenes like that taken out at a time like this? It's a cartoon for kids, kids who are going to be emotionally effected by this disaster. Whether they're from the northern Tohoku region where the tsunami destroyed whole towns, in Tokyo where food shortages and fear of potential radiation are causing so much worry, or even the southern areas where nothing has physically happened but the knowledge of what's happening in their country is emotionally tolling, everyone is effected. No one is going to want to see tsunami used as entertainment for a while, not because they "can't take it," but because it simply won't be enjoyable to see. It would be in bad taste. So get over your "hurf durf the Precure fans are now victims" mentality.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I can fully understand and support delaying the airing of some shows that might not be viewed in good taste at this point in time. First of all, it's just good make sure you aren't stepping over any lines during a sensitive time like this. Also I imagine that delaying movies until after the crises is over makes business sense, I assume that there will be a drop in movie attendance for the time being.

But I hope this doesn't mean long term self censorship. I think there's a difference between being unoffensive and constricting your creative scope. But I'm confident that the creative forces in Japanese society will be able to find a respectable and accurate balance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Ok, that scene from Oniichan no koto is REALLY bad timing. I'm surprised they even broadcast it in the first place, with the real tsunami warning showing on TV already Shocked

Having just watched it, I wonder if anyone actually remembered it was there before airing it. The scene in question serves almost zero purpose, some sort of metaphorical scene of the "lord of destruction" that the crazy cosplay chick is talking about. It really has nothing to do with the story being told.
But yes, it is a quick scene (2-3 seconds) of the characters being hit by a tidal wave and even being swept out to sea. It makes COMPLETE sense not to show it.

It will also be VERY easy to re-edit and lose nothing of any import. Take out the splash noise, take out the wave segment and slow down the outer-space segment to replace those couple seconds and they could have a redone version out in days if they wanted to, and there'd be no reason to even bother restoring it in a video release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6