• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Last Unicorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I've never seen it written as "playing opossum."

Damn, that Gundam Unicorn Blu-ray is a bit expensive, isn't it? $40+ for a movie that's less than 2 hours?

each episode is about an hour long. but i believe its well worth the price, especially if your a big fan of the meta-series.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
Eh, well worth someone's price. I'll be willing to buy it, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, even to a huge Gundam fan like me it's a little pricey.

I'll still get it, but I'll be shaking my fist at Bandai as I order it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

you could think of it this way, 1 hour long episode is about the same as 3 average episodes of any other anime show. 40$ is a bit steep for that, but not by much. well, at least for this show.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

you could think of it this way, 1 hour long episode is about the same as 3 average episodes of any other anime show. 40$ is a bit steep for that, but not by much. well, at least for this show.

I could get 13 episodes of FMA Brotherhood for that price so yeah it's still too much for what they're trying to sell.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I could get 13 episodes of FMA Brotherhood for that price so yeah it's still too much for what they're trying to sell.

for DVDs maybe, but for Blurays? its not too overpriced. A lot of the Blurays where i live (the good ones anyway) are still pushing the 30-40 dollar range. No ones forcing you to buy it, you've made your disdain for this pretty clear over the course of the thread.
IAmZim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
What's the point of Gundam Unicorn other than to make crap loads of money?

In my view?

To flesh out the universal century. Explain, in full, the reason Zeonism continues to exist (this is the brunt of episode two) what motivates their political ideology and why it fosters. To explain the place of usually overlooked aspects of UC, like religion (again touched upon in episode 2, but will also be touched upon in the islamic militants arc of episode 4) Other aspects which are further expounded on are the inner working of the federation government, and how it came into being.

The other point of Unicorn? To update UC Gundam. There are obvious parallels between warfare in Gundam Unicorn and modern 3rd generational warfare. Whether it be the tactics of ECOAS (obviously meant to represent US military tactics like drone strikes, especially at the start of episode 3) or in the ideologies of Zeonism portrayed in UC, and its similarities to islamic militants. Hell, later on in the novel actual Islamic Zeon faction become involved

Finally? The most obvious point of Unicorn is to give early UC both a stunningly well-made tribute, and a surprisingly emotionally resonant swansong

I have some issues with Unicorn. The visual cues and homages to the original series are both distracting, and occasionally prevent the series from having its own visual identity (especially in the third episode)

However the stunning visuals, cinematic direction and one of the best OST's I've heard in years make it a thrill ride, and one of the best made examples of the Gundam formula. However, you don't have to dig too deep to find some interesting innovation.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

for DVDs maybe, but for Blurays? its not too overpriced. A lot of the Blurays where i live (the good ones anyway) are still pushing the 30-40 dollar range. No ones forcing you to buy it, you've made your disdain for this pretty clear over the course of the thread.

No blu-rays, compare the price for the latest release of Gundam Unicorn vs the latest release of FMA Brotherhood.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/Pm-uGMfQfvzo7DDpbc/browse/item/91179/4/0/0

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/Pm-uGMfQfvzo7DDpbc/browse/item/90043/4/0/0

My problem is that CCA was the perfect ending for the Zeon vs Federation war. The Zeon find out that hatred against the Earth is wrong and help save the Earth. Amuro and Char are spoiler[killed in Action] having their rivalry end at the same time as the Federation vs Zeon war. How do you end the conflict now?

Last edited by Charred Knight on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
While your views are quite interesting to read through, it would be advisable if you were a little more careful with those spoilers for unaired episodes, in spite of how minor they appear to be on the surface.

IAmZim wrote:

To flesh out the universal century. Explain, in full, the reason Zeonism continues to exist (this is the brunt of episode two) what motivates their political ideology and why it fosters. To explain the place of usually overlooked aspects of UC, like religion

It's certainly addressing those issues but I don't think that's meant to be a complete explanation, even from a purely in-universe perspective, instead of just an informed interpretation that mostly incorporates preexisting notions. The idea of establishing a parallel between political and religious extremism is indeed interesting though...so you could say the specific frame of reference is fairly creative, I guess, but it's far from being subtle or unheard of in the grand scheme of things.

As for the question of religion as a whole...I don't know about what will happen later on, I'll defer to those who know better, but at the moment the issue just seems to work as an useful metaphor for other conflicts rather than as an actual topic of discussion in and of itself.

spoiler[Also, if they're really going to bring "islamism" into the story as you've suggested that seems remarkably stereotypical and potentially tasteless...especially considering that real religious extremism is not limited to any particular belief system. It may qualify as taking a risk but it's not exactly one that should always be welcomed with open arms. Still, I'll try and be open-minded. ]

Quote:
Other aspects which are further expounded on are the inner working of the federation government, and how it came into being.

Perhaps that will also depend on how later events are handled, but other than the question of Laplace's Box itself...conspiracies involving the likes of Anaheim and other parties aren't exactly a new subject. We already know the Federation is far from sacrosanct and actually has been willing to engage in any number of secret dealings.

Quote:

There are obvious parallels between warfare in Gundam Unicorn and modern 3rd generational warfare.

Looking at what you've referenced, I'm assuming you meant fourth generation warfare.

Leaving any future developments aside...I'd say you're making a hasty generalization here, considering barely a couple of scenes would qualify as such. Most of the combat is far better choreographed and animated than usual but otherwise not necessarily novel in terms of traditional mecha action.

Quote:

Finally? The most obvious point of Unicorn is to give early UC both a stunningly well-made tribute, and a surprisingly emotionally resonant swansong

Unicorn is clearly a wonderful tribute to past Gundam works but I find it rather difficult to believe that Sunrise has any real intention of finally giving the UC setting a rest once and for all.

They may have moved their weekly TV productions into the realm of alternate universes years ago but I don't see how Unicorn's success would suggest Sunrise will refrain from making more and more OVAs aimed at exactly the same target audience. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you, since despite my qualms I'm also a part of it.

Quote:
I have some issues with Unicorn. The visual cues and homages to the original series are both distracting, and occasionally prevent the series from having its own visual identity (especially in the third episode)

I suppose that can be subjective...I'd say Unicorn is intentionally trying to reproduce older aesthetics with superior production values. It's definitely attempting to "blend in" but so far I've never felt that the line has been truly and irrevocably crossed.

Quote:
However the stunning visuals, cinematic direction and one of the best OST's I've heard in years make it a thrill ride, and one of the best made examples of the Gundam formula. However, you don't have to dig too deep to find some interesting innovation.

Setting aside whatever I've said before, I'm not going to deny this is surely the best implementation of the formula in years. That alone deserves praise. Its degree of innovation, however, is something that remains open to debate.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
animehermit wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

No blu-rays, compare the price for the latest release of Gundam Unicorn vs the latest release of FMA Brotherhood.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/Pm-uGMfQfvzo7DDpbc/browse/item/91179/4/0/0

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/Pm-uGMfQfvzo7DDpbc/browse/item/90043/4/0/0

Quality of releases aside, i don't think thats too much, Your basically buying a Japanese Blu-Ray, and if you really like the series its worth a buy. This is not like that Garden of Sinners(which i would probably buy too if i had the money) boxset, 50 bucks for a good blu-ray is steep but its not a HUGE detriment to the release. Then again if you don't want too, don't buy it, the only people who really have any right to complain are the ones who shelled out the cash for it.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
animehermit, a blu ray costs, what, $25-30 normally? I think it's about $10 overpriced. I can't imagine what crazy price it goes for in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
amagee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
IAmZim wrote:

As a huge Gundam fan, I'd be interested if you might mention a few of the particular scenes that jarred you for the sake of discussion.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
gundam gundam gundam gundam gundam gundam gundam gundam...

But I'm much more interested in Princess Jellyfish. I really hope there is a DVD release of this. Hopefully it is a better contribution to the Real Girl genre than the frankly not-good Girls High.

"Genre"? Well, I can hope. Obviously, since I fancy girls with messy hair and no makeup, preferably in sweatpants, I am a pervert of some description. Therefore anime must cater to me!
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Quality of releases aside, i don't think thats too much, Your basically buying a Japanese Blu-Ray, and if you really like the series its worth a buy. This is not like that Garden of Sinners(which i would probably buy too if i had the money) boxset, 50 bucks for a good blu-ray is steep but its not a HUGE detriment to the release.

You've just identified Garden of Sinners. ^_^ $50/BD is exactly what TRSI was selling it for, just like Gundam Unicorn. It just happened to be in a set, rather than singles.

Quote:
Then again if you don't want too, don't buy it, the only people who really have any right to complain are the ones who shelled out the cash for it.

I don't see a problem with people complaining if they feel that something is too expensive. Anime is very much a niche product, and I think that the US pricing is generally pretty good (packaging and extras might suck, though). I'm not sure if I've ever complained that a video release was too expensive, but I have skipped buying something until the price decreased. I passed on Fruits Basket until the $40 singles fell to $30, and I skipped the Kanon TV series until Funi put out its SAVE version... Well, I think that Legend of the Galactic Heroes has a price that's higher than what I'll pay for a single set of discs (but that may be partially due to the fact that I haven't seen more than a couple of episodes and don't have a great interest in it ^^; ), but there are an awful lot of discs in the set. There are a number of series that I wasn't sufficiently interested in to bother importing the Japanese releases, so I bought the US versions.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
eyeresist, I think Gundam's getting the shine because, well, it's Gundam, and also because Princess Jellyfish can actually be seen somewhere.

I, for example, have been dying to see Gundam Unicorn. I've already seen Princess Jellyfish and have already had a great experience with it. Now I wanna see robots and whatnot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7