• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is your favorite anime that is not animated well?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine:The animation is simply horrible,and in some episodes it has very hectic editing in hopes of covering up weak animation,but in the end it just makes it look like shit.To top it all of its designs are drawn by Takeshi Koike,and they look just so amazing.The last time his art was animated it took people 10 years to do that (Redline),but here they needed to that on a much,much,much smaller budget in a very busy schedule,so even that made animation look worse than it actually is.However,anime as a whole was brilliant,and there were some beautifully directed pieces along with great subversive writing.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote
After comparing Mine to other pieces of Lupin III universe I think it was rather a stylistic choice- there has always been something uncanny about Lupin, but some people may find it applying.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
I'm usually pretty insensitive to badly animated material if I find the story compelling. Lots of people complain about the animation of Bartender which remains among my favorites to this day.

However nothing can redeem the collapse in animation quality that occurred midway through Shion no Ou. That's Shion over there in my avatar in a cute shot from early in the proceedings. Somewhere along the way Studio DEEN must have reassigned their illustration staff because the character models took a plunge downward in the latter half of Shion. The illustrators seemed to have a particular problem with noses. They all looked like the kind of sharp protuberances that you see in drawings by young children.

The staff of Space Brothers has some issues with noses as well. Serika this week looks especially ugly in one profile shot, as do some other cast members.
thenix

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
For me it would be Kaze no Stigma and Project Arms. Kaze no Stigma would be a pretty great B-movie action title if it wasn't so badly animated.

It certainly had times where it didn't look the best but it didn't seem particularly horribly animated to me. I do love that show though.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone mentioned Bleach yet? THe animation is just so-so but some of the character art is just ghastly. Orohime and Rukia, the supposed lead female sex objects, are about as sexy as a rancid half melted fudgesicle. I don't think they have one artist working there that knows how to draw a face or a boob.

Yet I have stuck with it over 350 episodes so far. It's creativity resides in its outlandish plot and theology (for lack of a better word) but certainly not in its art. I will say (as others have) that they do manage to produce an astonishingly wide array of independently recognizable characters.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Serial Experiments Lain has very limited animation and a very contained overall visual style. Legend of the Galactic Heroes has also very limited animation. Two very impressive series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Has anyone mentioned Bleach yet? THe animation is just so-so but some of the character art is just ghastly. Orohime and Rukia, the supposed lead female sex objects, are about as sexy as a rancid half melted fudgesicle. I don't think they have one artist working there that knows how to draw a face or a boob.

Yet I have stuck with it over 350 episodes so far. It's creativity resides in its outlandish plot and theology (for lack of a better word) but certainly not in its art. I will say (as others have) that they do manage to produce an astonishingly wide array of independently recognizable characters.

What I know about Bleach's animation is this:

I'm neither a fan or not a fan of the overall style, but the quality in the animation itself fluctuates like crazy bananas. Some (most) of the filler has just blech animation, washed-out colors and a real noticeable drop whole others, such as spoiler[Ichigo going H2 against Ulq or his first real fight against Grimmjow] were flipping amazing.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:58 am Reply with quote
Trigun, definitely. Although I don't find it badly animated (I actually enjoy the looks of it quite a lot), but it is indeed very limited. However, it doesn't diminish my enjoyment in the slightest since the story and characters are so incredibly engaging.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
In general, any favourites of mine that are longer fall into this, at least in some episodes, for obvious reasons. I've recently been rewatching NANA and there are some moments that aren't terrible but also aren't great. However, the writing and voice work is awesome and there are moments when they really get do put more effort into the visuals which really makes the character designs shine.

A few other favourites fall in the same trap, where they only look good some of the time, though they do have very good designs, IMO. Fushigi Yuugi and Vampire Knight come to mind, though the latter, IIRC, looks good most of the time.

And I also agree with Trigun, which has a few good visual moments but these are few and far between.

I can't think of many others but this is likely due to the fact that most of my favourites tend to be shorter which in general means less stretching of the animation budget (assuming there was a decent budget to begin with).
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine:The animation is simply horrible,and in some episodes it has very hectic editing in hopes of covering up weak animation,but in the end it just makes it look like shit.To top it all of its designs are drawn by Takeshi Koike,and they look just so amazing.The last time his art was animated it took people 10 years to do that (Redline),but here they needed to that on a much,much,much smaller budget in a very busy schedule,so even that made animation look worse than it actually is.However,anime as a whole was brilliant,and there were some beautifully directed pieces along with great subversive writing.

I think you'll find some very strong disagreement on this one.

Crest of the Stars wasn't among the greatest on animation quality but it was hardly bad enough to deserve to be brought up on this list. And while Kaze no Stigma wasn't a good series overall, its animation was not one of its main problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Would likely go along with Koi Kaze. The animation's not top-notch, fluid or richly detailed as well-animated works of the time period like Gungrave, Kurau: Phantom Memory or Ghost in the Shell: 2nd GIG. But it does its part to compliment the down-to-earth and realistic look into the increasingly forbidden relationship between siblings Koshiro and Nanoka with the series being a rarity in tackling the taboo of incest in a serious and tasteful light compared to other titles that exploit it for either cheap melodramatics or perverted antics to be found in an ecchi or hentai title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

I think you'll find some very strong disagreement on this one.

Crest of the Stars wasn't among the greatest on animation quality but it was hardly bad enough to deserve to be brought up on this list. And while Kaze no Stigma wasn't a good series overall, its animation was not one of its main problems.

Space battles aside, there were plenty of places where Jinto/Lafiel were drawn in ways that made me laugh. I'm not saying Crest is bad, and frankly I don't know many shows where the animation is outright awful and I still like it, but I do think a lot of things about it were immersion breaking.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
There were lots of places where they looked like suffering from hydrocephalus.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
There were lots of places where they looked like suffering from hydrocephalus.

I laughed again.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
What I know about Bleach's animation is this:

I'm neither a fan or not a fan of the overall style,

Some fight scenes are pretty good, but when they di they could never resist stretching them out for about 9 episodes and those recaps at the beginning of each one.

As for Orehime, what can you say when her peak moment is here. I forgot to mention that before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4