• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Intellectually-Challenged Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrawHat313

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I would've made Luffy a little higher on that list only because he's done really really stupid stuff. For example instead of forming a plan for Enies Lobby spoiler[he just storms in and kicks eveyone's butts], and when Nami got the compass for the New World Luffy wanted to go to the most dangerous islands instead of avoiding them.

The list is still good but I just would've made a few adjustments. Excel definitely deserves #1 spot though.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Yoshi has more interest in games than food really does not have anything to do with intelligence. It has to do with desires and greed. Plenty of people real and fictional have lost their lives trying to acquire something by being blinded by greed and desire.

Yoshi still does not belong on this list. Like I said the anime/manga/ln goes out of its way to say he can excel academically but just does not care. He is not a genius, hence he grades tank when he does not try, but he is of at least average intelligence.

And once again people, with Goku its called circumstances. Alien boy that never went to school and only trained in martial arts for his life, of course he would not be book smart given his upbringing, but that does not mean he is stupid.

Issei from DxD could also be on this list.
_V_

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Should Inuyasha's Kagome be on this list?

On second thought, I think not; the way it's presented, she isn't *inherently* dumb, it's just that...spending hours if not days running around on the other side of a time portal in the feudal ages really takes a huge bite out of her studying time.
old_yoshi

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
That reminds me - gotta buy a dog.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Usagi's not stupid. She's intelligent; even surprisingly insightful at points. I don't think academics are an effective way to measure a person's intelligence.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Goku really needed to be on that list. I mean, he's not dirt stupid, but outside of fighting, he's really pretty clueless. The English dub ups his intelligence a bit too much by giving him these ornate speeches and moral lecturing, but in the Japanese, he's the kind of guy who thinks that space is night time. I guess it's really more of a case of being very unsophisticated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Kastel wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Kastel wrote:
Quote:
Intellectually-Challenged

Isn't this the politically correct term for mental retardation? It's pretty offensive. Just call this List "7 Stupid Heroes."
"Stupid Heroes" is not politically correct, and no it doesn't mean "mental retardation". That would be "mentally challenged". Wink

AAIDD pretty much said intellectually-challenged means the same thing as mental retardation. It's more PC.

Anyway, the heroes are stupid. They're not mentally/intellectually retarded/challenged. I'm just saying this because it is a political issue.

The page you quoted doesn't use the term "intellectually-challenged" or "intellectually challenged" anywhere on it. If you want to stir up a fuss about me supposedly making light of those with a mental handicap, you could start by not being completely disingenuous about it. The page uses the term "intellectual handicap" however, no where in the article am I suggesting any of the characters are actually handicapped.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DTJB

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Wondering why Masura from Sexy Commando isn't on this list.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I have to say I like Jet's beard the most. Don't know why, but it works with him.

I daresay it's quite a sexy beard. I know he's got those kinds of fans lusting after him for his rugged manliness. ;9

Werewolves lost to vampires...part of me understands the logic to that, but part of me also wants to cry foul. <XD
sainta

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
I think Sawada Tsunayoshi should be on that list....since he is considered "no good" at everything (especially at school) but still manages to spoiler[become the Tenth Generation Mafia Boss, ten years in the future as well as save that future with the very wits he wasn't supposed to have].

I don't think that makes him intellectually-challenged. Tsuna was just a fish out of the water.
Kastel

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
[i wish ann moderation actually banned slurs]

Last edited by Kastel on Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Stupid vampires. Let's hear it for the underdogs!(heh...heh...heh)

I would have placed Photon higher on the list. He mistakes an inflatable Keyne for the real thing! It pops and he thinks she's dead!

Also, saw a couple mentions of Captain Tylor. He's a polarizing character but I'll speak up for him anyway. He's not intellectually challenged, the last few episodes bear that out so there's no doubt. I will occasionally question his tactical genius, however.

DTJB wrote:
Wondering why Masura from Sexy Commando isn't on this list.

hehe, truly, same here.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
Kastel wrote:
"Intellectually challenged" is the same thing as "intellectual disability."

Originally, maybe, but in the mainstream the term is an ironic jab at PC sensibilities -- e.g. "vertically challenged" for short people, or "morally challenged" for criminals. We use it to make fun of the way some people get so bent out of shape over the everyday words we grew up using -- words we used in clear conscience with no malicious intent, which are now suddenly horrible for some reason.

I think the reason "challenged" is not taken seriously is that it -- like "special" before it -- just sounds way too patronizing, and too much like the speaker is trying to paint sunshine and butterflies on a sad situation.
Kastel

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Kastel wrote:
"Intellectually challenged" is the same thing as "intellectual disability."

Originally, maybe, but in the mainstream the term is an ironic jab at PC sensibilities -- e.g. "vertically challenged" for short people, or "morally challenged" for criminals. We use it to make fun of the way some people get so bent out of shape over the everyday words we grew up using -- words we used in clear conscience with no malicious intent, which are now suddenly horrible for some reason.

I think the reason "challenged" is not taken seriously is that it -- like "special" before it -- just sounds way too patronizing, and too much like the speaker is trying to paint sunshine and butterflies on a sad situation.

Yes, definitions do change and I can see the absurd political correctness around it too. But I am saying "intellectually challenged" is still used in academia. If ANN is indeed a respectable news source, it shouldn't use such a term to say "stupid."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
e.g. "vertically challenged" for short people, or "morally challenged" for criminals.

I was going to bring up this same example. Stating that using the term "intellectually-challenged" is equivalent to throwing out "mentally handicapped" or "mentally retarded" is like saying the term "vertically-challenged" is equivalent to telling someone they have dwarfism. The term is not used in that way, whether it could be construed to be or not.

So while Education.com might state that the "term is used" it gives no examples as to where, it's also by no means a peer-reviewed medical website. The others is a single article out of one journal based in Cyprus, followed by a random page on charity website. Congrats, you put a phrase into Google and found three somewhat fitting examples to your personal definition. If you want to continue the exercise, you can throw in "mentally handicapped" into a search engine and see what better results you find. After comparing, it should become obvious which term is the widely accepted definition and which is a fluke phrasing coincidence.

On the other hand, "stupid" is such a throwaway insult that it lacks a lot of meaning anymore. It would not of been obvious from the column title that the characters listed would score poorly in school. Same with "dumb" and "idiot."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5