• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: K-ON! The Movie Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
If Azumanga aired today, but was identical in content to how it is, it would get pilloried with all the same attacks K-On, YRYR, Yuyushiki and all the other "Cute Girls Doing Cute Things" shows get.

Thats assuming people would even spend their time watching a 5 minute anime, since thats how it originally aired. Most of those types of anime get ignored.

I've watched the majority of the five minute anime shown on Crunchyroll and liked all but like 2 of them. I love Recorder and Randsell... Razz

And Encouragement of Climb needs a full show. Badly. Will they ever actually hike?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
^
The point of Encouragement of Climb is not to hike, it is for the girl to make friends and open up more. Hiking is just the impetus for that to happen.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:

And Encouragement of Climb needs a full show. Badly. Will they ever actually hike?

Are ya waiting for Godot? Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
For the record we enjoyed watching Azumanga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I finally watched the movie last night. I don't think K-on gets enough credit for how funny it is. I found myself laughing out loud quite often. The complaints about the lack of story seem to be missing the point. Most people don't watch comedies for their deep insight into the human condition.
Comedy aside, I think what appeals to me about shows like K-on is the idealized nostalgia factor. As pathetic as it sounds, my time in school was probably the happiest time in my life. These shows provide a nice little reminder of that time (or at least how I wished it was). The fact that K-on is also funny is icing on the cake.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote
I disagree; I find its humour is frequently lame or predictable compared to titles like Azumanga Daioh, Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu?! or Joshiraku, or even the comedy in "pretty funny" shows like Squid Girl, School Rumble, YuruYuri and Midori Days, Princess Jellyfish or Soul Eater, to take six titles from my shelf. I mean, that's only my opinion, but if someone's opinion is that K-On! isn't particularly hilarious, there's no reason to "credit for how funny it is". Which brings me to your next point:

Regarding the "idealised nostalgia factor", there I'll definitely agree with you that it's one of the series' main appeals (along with the obvious moe factor), though I can't say I particularly found it convincing. The episode with the president of Mio's fanclub is probably the best example I can think of - she sort of just shows up, a bunch of mindless cutesy comedy happens and then the episode closes with this incongruous mood of "ah, those fun times we apparently shared..." I found that whenever they tried to push that angle it felt totally distanced from any emotional content. Sawako's concert at her friend's wedding had a long flashback sequence to a bunch of stuff that had barely been alluded to and had no tangible connection to the rest of the episode: in short it felt forced. Like a punchline without a setup¹, like a romance without no development², like a happy ending brought about by a reset button³, like characters screaming their feelings at each other⁴ it just came across to me as empty and unsupported by actual content.

The last episode wasn't bad, though, and I maintain that the song they perform to Azusa is an incredible sequence, far better an ending than the series deserves: the music scenes are where the K-On! anime shines. I can buy their connection to music and their instruments but not to each other. A shame the former isn't shown to its fullest more often.

¹ see also: K-On!
² see also: Sword Art Online
³ see also: Clannad After Story
⁴ see also: Mari Okada
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I disagree; I find its humour is frequently lame or predictable compared to titles like Azumanga Daioh, Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu?! or Joshiraku, or even the comedy in "pretty funny" shows like Squid Girl, School Rumble, YuruYuri and Midori Days, Princess Jellyfish or Soul Eater, to take six titles from my shelf. I mean, that's only my opinion, but if someone's opinion is that K-On! isn't particularly hilarious, there's no reason to "credit for how funny it is". Which brings me to your next point:

Regarding the "idealised nostalgia factor", there I'll definitely agree with you that it's one of the series' main appeals (along with the obvious moe factor), though I can't say I particularly found it convincing. The episode with the president of Mio's fanclub is probably the best example I can think of - she sort of just shows up, a bunch of mindless cutesy comedy happens and then the episode closes with this incongruous mood of "ah, those fun times we apparently shared..." I found that whenever they tried to push that angle it felt totally distanced from any emotional content. Sawako's concert at her friend's wedding had a long flashback sequence to a bunch of stuff that had barely been alluded to and had no tangible connection to the rest of the episode: in short it felt forced. Like a punchline without a setup¹, like a romance without no development², like a happy ending brought about by a reset button³, like characters screaming their feelings at each other⁴ it just came across to me as empty and unsupported by actual content.

The last episode wasn't bad, though, and I maintain that the song they perform to Azusa is an incredible sequence, far better an ending than the series deserves: the music scenes are where the K-On! anime shines. I can buy their connection to music and their instruments but not to each other. A shame the former isn't shown to its fullest more often.

¹ see also: K-On!
² see also: Sword Art Online
³ see also: Clannad After Story
⁴ see also: Mari Okada

Humor is pretty highly subjective, jymmy, but a lot people (including myself) do find it pretty humorous and enjoy its comedy side a lot more than you seem to. A shame, but people are going to be different.

Regarding the Sawako flashback during Death Devil's performance at the wedding: you *really* didn't see the connections? Sawako turning in her future goals to her sensei where she wrote "musician," only to have it rejected, just as Yui and Ritso did with her? The way that the Death Devil members seemed so happy together and that they wanted to play music forever... just like HTT? And yet now Death Devil had long since disbanded and its members, while still friends, had gone on to do "adult" type things. It was a compare and contrast segment, and it sort of made me feel sorry for Sawako, though she seems more or less fine with how things turned out.

It seems to me that K-on just didn't resonate with you as it did with a lot of people. As I said, it happens, no biggy. I just wanted to point out that the flashback *did* have a connection with the current events of HTT. Sawako and Death Devil were used that way several times thoughout the series, but that scene is probably the most explicit use during the series. The movie also did it when it turns out that Death Devil did the same thing as HTT at the end of their last year of school, holding a special concert in their classroom. Only this time, Sawako suggested a better time and the teacher (the same one) liked HTT's music, so he didn't interrupt them as he did with Death Devil.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I assumed that was what it was supposed to be doing, but I just didn't find it convincing. It would have made sense within the context of the whole narrative, but the scene itself played out like a highlight reel of things that had never happened before, trying to evoke nostalgia in the same way they would if they actually had. I found them abstract and, although they could be described as related or seen as if you're a fan/particularly generous, lacking an actual believable connection.
BlackWolf26

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Lightweight gag humor and weak plotting continue to be this franchise's downfall.

This assertion ended up being the review's downfall, and claims that anything beyond K-On!'s first season was supposed to be "funny" hold no water. Under Naoko Yamada, the animated form of K-On! presented a story about appreciating the small things in everyday life. This is why season two had 26 episodes, and the movie continues in this theme by having the characters express their thanks for Azusa. In short, the storyline scales to the movie appropriately, and there is nothing lacking about it. I suggest the reviewer read more insightful, meaningful reviews of the movie to gain a better idea of what the K-On! Movie was about before writing falsehoods about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11