• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: K-ON! The Movie Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Sad to hear those jokes got removed. How about the awkward-as-hell guy shouting "RICE!" after HTT gives an impromptu performance of "Gohan wa Okazu"? And I hope they kept Azu-sist in the subs. It's pretty understandable why they couldn't do it in the dub.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Azu-sist isn't even in the subtitles.

But why would they not do it in the dub? I don't see what's so "understandable" about removing it. It's awkward because Azusa still visually reacts to it.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:

But why would they not do it in the dub? I don't see what's so "understandable" about removing it. It's awkward because Azusa still visually reacts to it.

Since I have seen only the Sentai release I do not know what you are talking about.
What was the joke?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
"Cute girls doing cute things" is a legitimate plot.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
MarthKoopa wrote:

Since I have seen only the Sentai release I do not know what you are talking about.
What was the joke?

Just some puns with Azusa's name. One example being Ritsu asking "Mio, let me Azusist you with that" in the revolving lift.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I was not comfortable watching it. I felt like a stalker peeking in though a hole in the wall at these girls.
This statement says a lot more about you than is does about "K-On!".
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I initially skipped the show as I heard {and continue to do so} that is was boring but I decided to get into it after watching the first episode of the second season, namely because of Yui's aping of Pete Townsend's circle guitar play and I was curious to see how far it went, which was pretty far for supposed fluff {Somebody did their homework}.

I haven't seen the movie {Yui's writing the lyrics to another heartfelt song song, the final song and not Mio's usual fluffy junk? There's no plot so that's not a spoiler? Is that how it works?} but I will buy once the second season gets a complete release but even without seeing it, it's clearly a coda and not the grand finale that was the ending of the TV series {To steal a bit from Twain: To go further than that would no longer be the story of a girl band but be a story about a band of women}. Which is perfectly fine; there's no weight or load here as it's the club before the band. And that's the way it's always been which confuses reviewers for some reason.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
LOL. What is this nonsense? A plot is too much to expect now? A plot is what happens in the story. Real character development can't happen unless something happens to the characters. The characters of a story are the agents of the plot! Why should a story get a free pass if it has nothing of value to contribute except giving fans something pretty to look at until a real story comes along? Trying to define the quality of a story by your relationship with it is ludicrous. For example, I happen to love Slayers but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its fair share of flaws. I enjoy the unintentional comedy of "The Room" but that doesn't mean it's not a terribly written movie.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
LOL. What is this nonsense? A plot is too much to expect now? A plot is what happens in the story. Real character development can't happen unless something happens to the characters. The characters of a story are the agents of the plot! Why should a story get a free pass if it has nothing of value to contribute except giving fans something pretty to look at until a real story comes along? Trying to define the quality of a story by your relationship with it is ludicrous. For example, I happen to love Slayers but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its fair share of flaws. I enjoy the unintentional comedy of "The Room" but that doesn't mean it's not a terribly written movie.

And K-On has a plot, its not a hugely epic one or anything, but its enough for its purposes.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
− Lightweight gag humor and weak plotting continue to be this franchise's downfall.

Weak plotting? Why would you even go into K-On looking for plot? Not everything has to have some great plot to be really good.

I was responding to this comment.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

And K-On has a plot, its not a hugely epic one or anything, but its enough for its purposes.

Why do people immediately go to that extreme when defending it? They say things like: "Why are people looking for a plot? It's not Death Note!" And in the process, make it sound as though they're vilifying works with actual stories to tell. It's ridiculous. There are low-key series that do have sufficient plots and well-developed characters.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Why do people immediately go to that extreme when defending it? They say things like: "Why are people looking for a plot? It's not Death Note!" And in the process, make it sound as though they're vilifying works with actual stories to tell. It's ridiculous. There are low-key series that do have sufficient plots and well-developed characters.

Its because theres no reason to focus on plot for a relaxing slice of life show. All it would do is take away from its strengths.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Its because theres no reason to focus on plot for a relaxing slice of life show. All it would do is take away from its strengths.

Right. And all organs do is weigh down a skeleton. One might normally think a compelling plot would only serve to boost the pretty art and animation. Is K-On the 'Freddy Got Fingered' of anime? I'd personally find it rather amusing if K-On's fanbase were comprised wholly of dadaist philosophers. Though at the same time, it'd be unsurprising.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
You need good plot for a show to be good? Oh really? Then I guess Seinfeld was shit, wasn't it? Or, for a more anime example, Azumanga Daioh, Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, those were all crap, right?

Sailor Moon and Dragonball Z had plot. What are you talking about?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

People make shitty arguments? Why should I care what people who suck at arguing their position do?

K-On has more than enough plot to support its actual goal, character interaction.

If you don't like it, well, thats an entirely different issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11