• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sailor Mercury Action Figure Previewed by Bandai

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Looking nice. Cool I currently don't have any money, so I hope they make them a while longer.

Although I have to ask, how would the changing facial expressions work? Does her whole head come off?

TitanXL wrote:
NGK wrote:
... it simply doesn't fit the "image" when literally translate to English in dialogue.

They already say the word "soldier" in English, in the Japanese version.

"Soldier" was even used in the English dub a few times in S and SuperS. It was a mistake though, since the scripts (and the whole production) was incredibly rushed.

I personally prefer Scout, since it roles off the tongue the best, but I don't mind Senshi either since it also has a nice ring to it. "Sailor Soldier" and "Sailor Warrior" both sound incredibly bulky, and not catchy or memorable enough.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
...Perhaps I missed something, as I've very rarely purchased figurines (barring my complete collection of the sailors from 90's Bandai Smile), but is there a reason Mercury is "colorless?" Is she one of the figurines you have to paint yourself (like a model kit), or is it because this is a preview and not the official thing.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question Embarassed

On that note, I wait with baited breath for the Outer Senshi figurines~ Really hoping they get some cool designs!
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
...Perhaps I missed something, as I've very rarely purchased figurines (barring my complete collection of the sailors from 90's Bandai Smile), but is there a reason Mercury is "colorless?" Is she one of the figurines you have to paint yourself (like a model kit), or is it because this is a preview and not the official thing.

Usually when companies first show case a figure they're shown without the paint. I'm not sure if this is because they haven't decided on the precise colors yet (that is, the colors may be known, but which exact tone for the paint they'll use for production might be undecided). Garage kits on the other hand are designed and made by fans (i.e. they're not official merchandise), and they're usually sold unpainted.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
An Amazon search reveals that the corresponding Sailor Moon figure is the #1 item in the "Action and Toy figures" category. I guess the fans are still out there in force, and their wallets are open.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Although I have to ask, how would the changing facial expressions work? Does her whole head come off?

Assuming they're similar to Figmas and Revoltechs, part of her hair (probably her bangs) comes off, and then you can swap out the alternate expression and snap the bangs back in place.

I'm kind of torn on these releases. I wouldn't mind having a Mercury figure, or a Venus, or a Saturn, and these figures offer a reasonably economical way to obtain a complete set of Sailor Senshi, but I generally prefer scaled figures.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Looking nice. Cool I currently don't have any money, so I hope they make them a while longer.

TitanXL wrote:
NGK wrote:
... it simply doesn't fit the "image" when literally translate to English in dialogue.

They already say the word "soldier" in English, in the Japanese version.

"Soldier" was even used in the English dub a few times in S and SuperS. It was a mistake though, since the scripts (and the whole production) was incredibly rushed.

I personally prefer Scout, since it roles off the tongue the best, but I don't mind Senshi either since it also has a nice ring to it. "Sailor Soldier" and "Sailor Warrior" both sound incredibly bulky, and not catchy or memorable enough.

Soldier sounds tougher. It's a better term with which to empower girls and it's pretty apt when applied to the characters as Sailor Moon is a sentai story and a sentai is a military unit. The Sailor Soldiers are essentially the earth's military unit. Though it seems as though 'guardian' is the canon term with which to refer to them these days (because the manga was edited to help sell the live-action series); 'Soldier' or 'Guardian' is fine with me.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

Soldier sounds tougher. It's a better term with which to empower girls and it's pretty apt when applied to the characters as Sailor Moon is a sentai story and a sentai is a military unit. The Sailor Soldiers are essentially the earth's military unit. Though it seems as though 'guardian' is the canon term with which to refer to them these days (because the manga was edited to help sell the live-action series); 'Soldier' or 'Guardian' is fine with me.

I've been reading the re-released manga in Japanese, and the fact that they use the word 'guardian' much more than 'soldier' went right over my head. I never read the original release of the manga - did they really just go in and change it?
Personally, I think guardian sounds better than soldier, since guardian is a better description of what they do. But it bugs me if they actually went back and were changing things like that just to easily tie-in to the TV show more.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

I've been reading the re-released manga in Japanese, and the fact that they use the word 'guardian' much more than 'soldier' went right over my head. I never read the original release of the manga - did they really just go in and change it?
Personally, I think guardian sounds better than soldier, since guardian is a better description of what they do. But it bugs me if they actually went back and were changing things like that just to easily tie-in to the TV show more.

They did! Another example of this being "Moon Tiara Boomerang"
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
We use scout because some of us grew up with the Dic dub, and so it was conditioned into us. Plus like someone said, it still fits.

I for one hate the Guardian change. Guardian sounds lame to me, since they are still soldiers. They fight. They kick butt. Soldier sounds much more cooler, and rarely is for women, which when I was younger I thought was very progressive/feminist for a comic.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Way to bury Mercury in that pic. She should have been at least in the foreground with Usagi!
roseversailles

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
roseversailles wrote:

Usually when companies first show case a figure they're shown without the paint. I'm not sure if this is because they haven't decided on the precise colors yet (that is, the colors may be known, but which exact tone for the paint they'll use for production might be undecided). Garage kits on the other hand are designed and made by fans (i.e. they're not official merchandise), and they're usually sold unpainted.

Ah, thanks for the explanation! I'm glad Mercury won't be colorless. Can't wait to see how these Sailors turn out!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2