• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ghibli's Suzuki Opposes Repealing Japan's Anti-War Clause

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quote
That base is being closed down anyway and a new one is being built on one of the smaller islands, and if it weren't for North Korea throwing his toys out of his pram like he has that wouldn't have happened either as the base was to be closed anyway without replacement.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:40 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
That base is being closed down anyway and a new one is being built on one of the smaller islands, and if it weren't for North Korea throwing his toys out of his pram like he has that wouldn't have happened either as the base was to be closed anyway without replacement.

Yes, but it is going to take several years...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

As these things normally do. Wink
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
Helius wrote:
ScumbagYoshi wrote:
You make it sound like Japan wants America to be fully involved in East Asian affairs.

That's actually the preferred outcome as far as Japan is concerned. Unlike many other countries, Japan is not as keen to exert its influence to the rest of the world. They're quite happy to be their own prosperous, inconspicuous selves.

The US presence is a good deterrent vis-a-vis Japan's neighbours. The sort of discontent in relation to US bases stationed there is mainly societal and the Japanese government values the alliance just as much as the US needs the stop-gap to East Asia. Moreover, why waste further money on an already inflated defence budget when you already have a powerful ally who does most of the work "maintaining peace and security" in the region?

As enurtsol said China is a major world trader so neither Japan nor the US wants to antagonise the Chinese and Japan would be in a better bargaining position with the backing of the Americans than they would be on their own. The status quo would also be in their favour which is why China has been trying so hard to isolate the various disputes in the region without US involvment lest the whole East/South East Asia encroaches on them.

Your argument is based on the assumption that Japan thinks America has the capabilities and the want to protect Japan. Japan might be a political ally and a good trading partner, but there's little strategic value beyond not wanting China to extend its sphere of influence over the region.

It also assumes that Japan thinks America has shown its willingness to protect Japan, as has not been the case as the US has shown lack of teeth in the island dispute recently and North Korea's increased aggression without any real American response is probably enough evidence for Japan to bring up the idea that America might not be willing or fast enough to react to a crisis if it should occur.

America is also involved in numerous political crisis domestically, as well as an anemic economy that's shown real impacts on the country. Let's not also forget that the possibility of a change in presidency in 2016 is relatively likely, and factoring all of these different problems together and Japan is among the least of our worries.

In any decision, you have to factor in the risk involved, and I think the political risk that America is not willing to help Japan as strongly as before is potent. I'm not saying war is possible. I'm saying Japan can't leverage US military power as strongly as it used to, and since China is such a world power that's diversifying its investment portfolio to get rid of American dollars, there's less reasons to think that America can wield a big influence on the country.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
guildmaster wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

As these things normally do. Wink

Tell me about it. it has taken 7 months to put up a tent for a relocation of the fire station here.

[This is not a political forum, take this rhetoric/propaganda garbage elsewhere. - Keonyn]

Last edited by guildmaster on Mon May 13, 2013 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
ScumbagYoshi wrote:

Your argument is based on the assumption that Japan thinks America has the capabilities and the want to protect Japan. Japan might be a political ally and a good trading partner, but there's little strategic value beyond not wanting China to extend its sphere of influence over the region.

It also assumes that Japan thinks America has shown its willingness to protect Japan, as has not been the case as the US has shown lack of teeth in the island dispute recently and North Korea's increased aggression without any real American response is probably enough evidence for Japan to bring up the idea that America might not be willing or fast enough to react to a crisis if it should occur.

America is also involved in numerous political crisis domestically, as well as an anemic economy that's shown real impacts on the country. Let's not also forget that the possibility of a change in presidency in 2016 is relatively likely, and factoring all of these different problems together and Japan is among the least of our worries.

In any decision, you have to factor in the risk involved, and I think the political risk that America is not willing to help Japan as strongly as before is potent. I'm not saying war is possible. I'm saying Japan can't leverage US military power as strongly as it used to, and since China is such a world power that's diversifying its investment portfolio to get rid of American dollars, there's less reasons to think that America can wield a big influence on the country.

It's all what if situations. I think the US has plenty of reason to support Japan. Japan and South Korea are easily America's biggest allies in the region, and they're not about to just let those major footholds for a strategic attack just go away if aggression just happened against one.

A silly little dispute over some islands is not something the US will ever take a stance on when you have your biggest Pacific friend on one hand, and the giant business partner feeding your government money on the other.

If North Korea were to attack Japan, America WOULD react. This wouldn't be a terrorist attack, this would be an actual war, and something the largest military in the world knows how to deal with. It's not in China's interest to see a war of any sort. The US however could easily benefit from one, where as a war on China's side would find China suddenly without their biggest income sources. And as far as I know, some Americans aware of article 9, and the surrender of Japan, take their commitment to protecting Japan seriously, and Obama has claimed full support for Japan over the years.

There is still some anti-Japan hate going on here with the older generation here (who is steadily dying out), but I guarantee you the anti-China sentiment is much larger. If China took North Korea's side, then we'd probably be sent into a new cold war, or worse. Either way America would probably even see it as a way to cancel out their Chinese debt, and a way of resetting the US/World economy. Faced with an actual war I have no doubt Americans could easily turn to an internal North American/European/South American trade, something which would easily cripple China, suddenly finding itself on the outside of the World's Biggest economies, with maybe only Russian to help support it. Russia would side with whatever benefits it the most.

[Removed last remark. We're not turning this in to another tired left versus right thing. - Keonyn]
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Greenwolf, please study the international banking system a little more before you spout off. While we have a trade imbalance with China in that we import more from them than we export to them, we don't "owe " them.

[Removed. Another remark like that attacking people outright because they don't see things your way and your entire post will be deleted. There's no place for that kind of garbage either here, or even in politics, so knock it off. - Keonyn]
Helius

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
Greenwolf, please study the international banking system a little more before you spout off. While we have a trade imbalance with China in that we import more from them than we export to them, we don't "owe " them.

No, not precisely since the US has been earning more through its foreign holdings than it has to pay back. But how long can they maintain it for is a real and serious question, especially when the country's debts account for amost 80% of its GDP. It's a slippery slope they're on right now. They've been breaking the debt ceiling time and time again and that's why Obama is so keen on the sequestration, amongst other budget cutting measures.

Then you look internationally, with Japan being the US's second biggest foreign creditor and the record trade deficit they're experiencing, it's a golden opportunity for America to react aggressively against the weak yen and heightened demand for imports which, if I'm not mistaken, has already overtaken China as the Japanese's biggest trading partner.

We can talk about this for hours and days, but the key point is that Japan is way more important to the US than any of its allies in the region, be it S. Korea or the Philippines. If there's a war on, the Americans will be there even before the Japanese have a chance to say: "help."
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[Comment removed due to political trolling and attempts at starting an off-topic political flamewar.]

It's not just about the economy, lol.

There's a reason why people calculate political risk at the macro level in this country, and it's because both of a frozen Congress. If it was Democrats that were filibustering everything I would say the same things about Democrats that I would about Republicans.

Also, saying I'm a liberal doesn't mean I can't favor certain conservative views. I can like conservative views and still think the Republican Party is messed up, which happens to be my opinion. And whether or not Obama has done a good job is irrelevant to the implications of a Republic presidency.

Quote:
It's all what if situations. I think the US has plenty of reason to support Japan. Japan and South Korea are easily America's biggest allies in the region, and they're not about to just let those major footholds for a strategic attack just go away if aggression just happened against one.

No one reasonably thinks China is going to mount a military offensive and take control of the region. You're also thinking that Japan is actually a priority in the president's agenda relative to other more pertinent issues like the economy and the civil war in Syria.

Quote:
If North Korea were to attack Japan, America WOULD react. This wouldn't be a terrorist attack, this would be an actual war, and something the largest military in the world knows how to deal with. It's not in China's interest to see a war of any sort. The US however could easily benefit from one, where as a war on China's side would find China suddenly without their biggest income sources. And as far as I know, some Americans aware of article 9, and the surrender of Japan, take their commitment to protecting Japan seriously, and Obama has claimed full support for Japan over the years.

1. No evidence that NK actually has the military capacity to even fight Japan.

2. You don't know how fast America would react, and to what extent.

Quote:
There is still some anti-Japan hate going on here with the older generation here (who is steadily dying out), but I guarantee you the anti-China sentiment is much larger. If China took North Korea's side, then we'd probably be sent into a new cold war, or worse. Either way America would probably even see it as a way to cancel out their Chinese debt, and a way of resetting the US/World economy. Faced with an actual war I have no doubt Americans could easily turn to an internal North American/European/South American trade, something which would easily cripple China, suddenly finding itself on the outside of the World's Biggest economies, with maybe only Russian to help support it. Russia would side with whatever benefits it the most.

This is just un-true. First off, China won't take North Korea's side if a military brawl took out. There's both political and economic incentives not to. Second, there won't be a cold war because of how integrated the global market is how and useless that would be. If anything, China would fear a cold war because it lacks the R&D necessary to build more effective arms than the US military (and has relied on private investment over the years to rapidly boost their technological growth).

I agree mostly with Helius's point, but saying that Japan is our biggest strategic ally in the region is misleading since while it's a no brainer that the Japanese are with us, American foreign policy just isn't prioritized to help Japan militarily because the threat of any real violence is minimal.

The real issues are geographical, political, and economic. Would America help Japan out in a time of military crisis? Sure, I don't see why not, but given the smaller scale events where America offered little help, those are the most likely scenarios and therefore those are the ones that prompted Japan to take this course of action.

Edit: Also, I don't understand why a country would want to be dependent on another country's military.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
ScumbagYoshi you have pretty much stated everything I didn't have the energy to type ha.

I personally believe that NK has too much bark as the more than likely do not have the military capabilities to follow up on a Nuclear Attack or an Invasion as most west countries will not sit back and watch, I do not think Kim Jong Un is stupid, he's very unnecessary but not stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Helius

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
ScumbagYoshi wrote:
Edit: Also, I don't understand why a country would want to be dependent on another country's military.

Well...Article 9, why else lol.

Suppose the Japanese do have the cojones to repeal Art. 9, it's an absolute certainty, even if the Japanese leadership explicitly state otherwise, that tensions in the region will escalate through the roof and gives N. Korea and China the perfect excuse to ram up the arms race and then everybody loses.

So militarily Japan does need the US, whether sincerely or not is irrelevant 'cos the alternative is simply not an alternative.

TsunaReborn! wrote:
ScumbagYoshi you have pretty much stated everything I didn't have the energy to type ha.

I personally believe that NK has too much bark as the more than likely do not have the military capabilities to follow up on a Nuclear Attack or an Invasion as most west countries will not sit back and watch, I do not think Kim Jong Un is stupid, he's very unnecessary but not stupid.

It's prety obvious what they been doing all these years with the nuke testing and missile launching are just for show to get concessions from the US and co. If they're so blatantly stupid as to fire a nuke at whoever, well guess what Mr Kim, you've just become the first bad guy to ever nuke somebody since WWII. See if the entire world won't rain fire of Hell upon you.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well...Article 9, why else lol.

Suppose the Japanese do have the cojones to repeal Art. 9, it's an absolute certainty, even if the Japanese leadership explicitly state otherwise, that tensions in the region will escalate through the roof and gives N. Korea and China the perfect excuse to ram up the arms race and then everybody loses.

So militarily Japan does need the US, whether sincerely or not is irrelevant 'cos the alternative is simply not an alternative.

You make it sound like N.Korea has the resources to pursue an arms race of any comparable measure. Also, whether or not Japan rescinds the act doesn't affect China's build up of its military since it's been building up its military for years.

Besides, Japan is a (still noteworthy but otherwise) peripheral concern as China is dealing with domestic issues of its own, whether it be political consolidation of the Communist Party or the fact that its economic growth is slowing down (which would incentivize the country to focus more on domestic economic growth then be scared about the "threat" of a Japanese military).

Let's not forget that America would still be a regional military ally, not to mention the two countries have already done quite a few military exercises over the last few years.

In other words, Japan is being reactionary to a build up of Chinese and (presumably) North Korean military power, not proactive, which I think is partly reasonable given the circumstances.

Again, I don't particularly care one way or the other. I don't think either is going to have any heavy negligible effects. I just think Japan has way more issues to worry about than a real military struggle.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
No, but they own most of your industries, just like they own most of ours too. The Chinese didn't have to invade us, just made us beg them to buy us. and they did. Laughing
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I know this is a political topic, but enough of the left and right sniping. This isn't even American politics and the partisan bias' does enough damage in the real world, we're not going to have it doing damage here. This is not going to be another American politics righty versus lefty political warzone, plain and simple. This isn't a political forum, and there's enough of that crap to be found elsewhere to last a lifetime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, Keonyn, I missed out on all the fun Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4