• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime/Manga Releases Delayed, Cancelled After Quake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Strange that they would choose to outright cancel mid-season episodes to air at some other point out of order. The Spring season is already in jeopardy due to animation studios being closed for the time being (either for recovery or power conservation). There's no harm in extending the winter season an extra week or two when the replacing shows aren't even finished.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:
As unfortunate as these delays and cancellations are, it's kinda hard to feel all that bad about them, you know?

edit: I just wanted to make sure it was clear I was talking specifically about the delays, and not anything else dealing with this disaster. It's VERY easy to feel bad about everything else.

It's pretty hard to get production and staff on schedule to release something when much of the infrastructure in Japan has come to a standstill. Have a little understanding about delays, geez.

I said "it's hard to feel bad" if that's not 'understanding', I don't know what is. I'm not saying "Aurgh, why are they doing this!?" I'm saying "I understand and am OK with this. It's not the best thing in the world, but it's unavoidable given the situation"
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Gosick also delayed. Auto translation doesn't help much here.
Beelzebub also delayed. Official website doesn't say anything.

Quite weird that late night shows got delayed. Did they keep broadcasting new news at night, or did they keep repeating the news like Sky News?

Doesn't matter for Gosick. Gosick had the week off originally next week anyways. Therefore, having it air next/this week instead didn't actually hurt it.

Madoka will likely be delayed. In fact, I will be surprised if it isn't considering the upcoming episode(s) is spoiler[likely the beginning of Walpurgis night and given the scenery shown before of that even, that's a tsunami + city destruction.]

Japan may as well just shift everything back at least one week. However, with spring season literally around the corner, it's hard to see how such tight schedules are going to adjust. They'll probably start canceling/postponing a lot of the rerun shows going on to finish the winter titles.
Asobi ni Iku yo! getting delayed until May is a bit ridiculous though. Funny how Black Lagoon OVA 4 just made it right before the quake though not that the ongoing disaster is a laughing matter though
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, the 11th episode is still airing on Thursday for Madoka. Just sayin'
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Well, the 11th episode is still airing on Thursday for Madoka. Just sayin'

Considering what I saw in episode 10... THANK FREAKING GOD!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Rather have Puella Magi Madoka Magica delayed, than edited for content.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
The current shows don't seem to have been as heavily influenced as I expected, although that's likely because many of them may already be finished up. I suspect the real delays may come during the Spring season.

It's understandable that the manga is more heavily affected because it has to be physically distributed across Japan and that depends upon a working transportation system. TV shows only need to be broadcast. But we could still see some delays later when it comes to DVD releases.
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Rather have Puella Magi Madoka Magica delayed, than edited for content.

good point. I'd also rather have episode 11 delayed if 12 is going to take forever to be aired, rather than have just the last episode delayed (but that might just be me).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Strange that they would choose to outright cancel mid-season episodes to air at some other point out of order. The Spring season is already in jeopardy due to animation studios being closed for the time being (either for recovery or power conservation). There's no harm in extending the winter season an extra week or two when the replacing shows aren't even finished.

The schedules are already set and they'll have to work within them. If they just carry on where they left off in a couple of weeks it will have knock on effects right down the calendar; it is called "winter season" for a reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
IvoryMist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The delay of Kore wa Zombie desu Ka is pretty disappointing, but with the tragic events that have occurred, I'm not one to complain.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Emerje wrote:

The schedules are already set and they'll have to work within them. If they just carry on where they left off in a couple of weeks it will have knock on effects right down the calendar; it is called "winter season" for a reason.

It's possible that some shows in the Spring schedule may be shortened an episode or two. maybe more. It won't be noticed with longer shows but it would become apparent with one-season shows.

Then again, much of the actual animation work for many shows is done outside Japan, so those shows may not be affected, at least not as much.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
In-betweening is commonly outsourced but a lot of key animation is still done in Japan (indeed, I read somewhere that one definition of "anime" is animation where everyone from key animator upwards is Japanese) and if there are no key frames them there's nothing to tween.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
And I was looking forward to seeing Moshidora this week. But considering the great amount of tragedy and uncertainty Japan is facing at the moment, I guess I have no right to complain too much. I'll just have to wait for whenever NHK plans to re-schedule the show's airing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
This is a disadvantage of being a dense, compact nation. One area could more affect the rest.

If the areas are more separated and more indepedent from the rest, business transactions could go on bypassing the affected area.
kitchiri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
lol... madoka magica episode 11 will be delayed.

http://www.madoka-magica.com/news/

Everyone in 2ch is in despair...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3