• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Berserk: The Golden Age Arc II DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I felt it was an improvement on the first film in so far as being a better adaptation of the manga, put together better, and better paced, but so many important plot points and explanations were skipped or briefed through. You're missing so much of the "why" the original story has that these films simply don't have the time or care for. It'd be like trying to do Game of Thrones in a set of films rather than the properly placed and well-advised format of 52 minute installments. In comparison to the low budget 1997 Berserk series, I'd still choose that show over these films, and people even call that a butchering of the manga.

I pretty much agree with everything that walw6pK4Alo states here. I think it was better than the first one, but I wasn't impressed with the first one to begin with so it doesn't get major points from me. I'm not anti-CG, but I think in both movies the CG could be more effective if there was less of it.

So far I prefer the old show with all the panning over still shots, the sometimes sluggish pace and the truncated ending to the movies. It doesn't bother me too much that many of the other characters get pushed out to the margins. I think that's the result of the story being told through movies. There just isn't enough time to focus on everyone and they need to narrow it down to some major characters. However, what bothers me is that I don't think they've captured the relationship of Griffith and Guts very well. This is in part what makes the end so impactful. It feels too rushed or glossed over and the relationship is not explored enough. It makes me wonder if this will be a situation where you own and watch the tv show and at a certain point before the end you put in the third movie so you get a more complete end.

Oh and thank you Rebecca for letting us know about your experience with Neon Alley in your review. I think that's useful information for many people.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
The 3D animation was a little jarring at points, despite the non-battle scenes being perfect.

It still wasn't nearly as jarring as the Zeta Gundam movies... those were pretty much unwatchable.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
If Casca were prone to this sort of difficult period, she would have been well aware of its arrival previous to the moment it came; the show made it seem like she was surprised by it, which was more of my issue.

Don't you think she might have been just a little distracted by the all the dudes trying to murder her? It's probably not gonna be something she's thinking about until it becomes a problem.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
However, what bothers me is that I don't think they've captured the relationship of Griffith and Guts very well. This is in part what makes the end so impactful. It feels too rushed or glossed over and the relationship is not explored enough. It makes me wonder if this will be a situation where you own and watch the tv show and at a certain point before the end you put in the third movie so you get a more complete end.

Manga/TV anime spoilers not in these films: spoiler[To that note, the movie doesn't at all cover Griffith's past relation with Gennon. Why is Doldrey so important to the characters? It's not just because it's a strategic stronghold, but because we see Griffith encountering his past and trampling over those who helped him and exploited him at the beginning of him envisioning and seeking his dream. You never get to see how far Griffith will go for his dream even that early on, you never get to see Casca's or Guts' feelings on that matter either.

Why does Gennon have little boys frolicking around the fortress? The movie never attempts to explain that, but it's pretty obvious why when you've read the manga/seen the TV.

You never see Zodd toss Guts' a sword after his breaks during the capturing of Doldrey. Maybe it seems inconsequential, but it matters so much later on as to how Guts' is viewed by other apostles. I'm sure the third movie still cuts even more out because it simply hasn't the time, but too much of this stuff being removed means casual movie viewers are not given nearly enough information on character dynamics and motivations.]

Bad and dated 3D use aside, these movies aren't impressing me because Berserk needs far more time than 100 minutes to cover several volumes of material. The TV series took 9 episodes for what this film covered, and 9 episodes for the first film as well. I guess the last film will cover the final six spoiler[but still no Wyald scene, at least the Bakiraka apparently make an appearance.] So these films use a wider aspect ratio and maybe some newer art when the 3D isn't ruining the experience, but I can say with conviction that they're not being told as well as they could be. Is it nitpicking if important plot points or explanations are skipped?
Alunimus

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
misogyny
Oh, you must be kidding me! And I thought that ANN is free of this kind of... erm... stuff.

Imagine what shock will cause the third movie where Casca... you know. S'okay, now Miura is officially in the list of mysogynic swines for making his dark fantasy dark.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Alunimus wrote:
Quote:
misogyny
Oh, you must be kidding me! And I thought that ANN is free of this kind of... erm... stuff.

Imagine what shock will cause the third movie where Casca... you know. S'okay, now Miura is officially in the list of mysogynic swines for making his dark fantasy dark.

Eh.. you haven't been here long, have you? Yep, we have these kind of discussions. For the record, I'm a woman and so far I have no problem with Berserk. And yeah, I've heard about what happens to Casca later.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Manga/TV anime spoilers not in these films: spoiler[To that note, the movie doesn't at all cover Griffith's past relation with Gennon. Why is Doldrey so important to the characters? It's not just because it's a strategic stronghold, but because we see Griffith encountering his past and trampling over those who helped him and exploited him at the beginning of him envisioning and seeking his dream. You never get to see how far Griffith will go for his dream even that early on, you never get to see Casca's or Guts' feelings on that matter either.]

Actually...while we don't get to see the reactions of the others nor any flashback, there is a brief scene in the film where spoiler[ Gennon and Griffith do talk about their past history and how Griffith was ultimately using him to get ahead] so that plot point wasn't completely erased from the narrative like you're suggesting here. Of course, it's definitely a simplified version of the event, for obvious reasons, but I think it's worth acknowledging its presence.

Quote:

Bad and dated 3D use aside, these movies aren't impressing me because Berserk needs far more time than 100 minutes to cover several volumes of material.

On the other hand, I've already expressed my agreement with this point. It's really a pity that the companies and sponsors involved did not see fit to make another TV or OVA series instead of a film trilogy, since adapting the source material would always benefit from more, not less, time than what the previous adaptation had.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
The only way Casca's "illness" makes sense is if she experienced toxic shock, but I'm not sure if tampons exist in the Berserk world.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For the record, I'm a woman and so far I have no problem with Berserk. And yeah, I've heard about what happens to Casca later.
And that's absolutely fine! It is just a work of fiction, after all. Too bad that there are people possessed with various "-isms" that cannot percieve some things without making a fuss about it.

Review avoids movie's actual problem, by the way. Some details from manga were thrown away. It is only natural to do this while making adaptation, but authors definately threw some things that were crucial for story's integrity.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
I found Casca's reaction to be informed and realistic. I can't imagine how I'd cope with my periods in a world where I knew no other women, and where painkillers were likely to be incapacitating or unavailable. Sorry, but even getting a period every month doesn't steel you to that kind of pain. It wipes me out for a couple of days every time, and before my friend went on the pill, she'd always throw up and pass out.

I've always adored Berserk for actually bothering to consider Casca's body as a limitation in that respect. It's not creepy or fetishised, and it struck me as realistic and adding to her character development, as well as Guts' relationship with her.
RyoGTO

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I've had a casual interest in Berserk for awhile now and so I've been very interested in seeing the reception these movies have, since I know that the original anime series doesn't have an ending. I suppose I'll wait and see how the third one does before deciding if I want to watch it or not, though hopefully I'll eventually have the internet access to support something like Neon Alley and be able to legally stream my anime.

Watch the original series--it is so much better and does the story so much more justice than these films that they really shouldn't even be compared. There is an ending in the original anime--just not one that is totally conclusive to say the least--do NOT let that deter you from watching one of the best animes ever created. You can read the manga afterwards if you want to know what happens in more detail and in the subsequent arcs of the story, like everyone else does.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
RyoGTO wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:
I've had a casual interest in Berserk for awhile now and so I've been very interested in seeing the reception these movies have, since I know that the original anime series doesn't have an ending. I suppose I'll wait and see how the third one does before deciding if I want to watch it or not, though hopefully I'll eventually have the internet access to support something like Neon Alley and be able to legally stream my anime.

Watch the original series--it is so much better and does the story so much more justice than these films that they really shouldn't even be compared. There is an ending in the original anime--just not one that is totally conclusive to say the least--do NOT let that deter you from watching one of the best animes ever created. You can read the manga afterwards if you want to know what happens in more detail and in the subsequent arcs of the story, like everyone else does.

I'll never understand how people like the Berserk TV anime. It's one of the slowest, watered-down adaptations I've seen, IMO. Did you watch it before you read the manga?

Anywho, the manga is much better than the TV anime, so I'd recommend that over it.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
I liked this movie quite a bit more than the first actually. I never quite got the rage over these adaptations, the 3d can be a little distracting, but other than that I have no issues with it.

They may not be perfect adaptations of the source material, but they do stand on their own. Which is not something you can say for a lot of these types of films.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Are you implying that no woman can have a bad period, or passout due to sudden drop of blood pressure? My mother always had bad periods for as long as I was aware of them. Sometimes she had to come home from work because of them right up when the doctor's tests finally found out she had a huge fibroid which caused her to have a hysterectomy. I found that criticism much too generalised.

Hardly - I am a woman, you know. I know many women who have bad periods, irregular menstrual cycles, the whole nine yards. The difference is that before a bad period, one is generally able to tell it is coming - soreness in the breasts and cramping are just two of physical signs. If Casca were prone to this sort of difficult period, she would have been well aware of its arrival previous to the moment it came; the show made it seem like she was surprised by it, which was more of my issue.

Had it been an universal pattern I would have had a calmer nights, not interrupted by parents, whose daughters suddenly woke up in pool of own blood. It usually happens sporadically, triggered by stress or dieting, but we have some regular clients turning up every month or so.

Actually lots of woman have a problem with long, unpredictable periods, even if we live in stable society, with medical care at hand and steady food support. Unlike modern female soldiers Casca suffered from malnutrition as a child and undergone a heavy physical training, requiring her to put aside all her physiology. In such conditions it isn't strange to find every period a surprise.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
A Neon Alley watermark is visible at all times in the lower right corner of the screen; it's irritating at first, huh? it's so small how can that bug you at all Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4