• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Berserk: The Golden Age Arc II DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I truly dislike the animation that they chose to use for the films. I don't understand why people have to act defensive about when cg is used rather than traditional animation. Whether it is the Beserk films or a mecha series that utilizes it for the robots there are people who shout "omg guiz grow up its cg and its easier for animatrs, y do u kare?" To answer that question, (which, granted, I did oversimplify and make appear childish) because it often looks clearly out of place and generally (personally) worse than the traditionally animated elements. You can say you don't mind it as much as others did, but it isn't a point that isn't without merit.
^I will admit that that stems from another Beserk discussion I read, but it was brewing in my head. ^^;

I am still baffled why Neon Ally isn't essentially just a Netflix Instant for anime. It's dub-only anime that runs like a tv station with no option to choose what and when to watch, or to pause or start from the beginning. It's like they want you to not buy a subscription.
generalkorn12

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:09 am Reply with quote
I kind of wished they stuck more effort into this, maybe done it as an OVA series instead, rather than three overstuffed movies.

It's a wasted oppurtunity aswell, this would probably have sold like hot-cakes given the interest in high-fantasy such as Game of Thrones, this would have appealed really well to that crowd. Crying or Very sad
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:20 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:

In the films, Griffith and Charlotte's relationship (and not just in this scene) seems designed to more easily lend itself to an interpretation of mutual attraction between them, whereas the original much more strongly implies that Griffith is merely using her as a tool to acquire status and power, in the same way he uses everybody else. This is part of what I meant when I said the movies try to make Griffith's character more sympathetic, which fundamentally changes who he is as a consequence.

I didn't exactly get that impression though, or at least not as strongly as you did, for reasons I'll try to briefly address below.

Quote:

Also, was the out-of-nowhere implication that the king harbors incestuous feelings for Charlotte in the original manga? Because I sure don't remember it being in the TV series, and once again it completely changes the way the audience perceives Griffith and his relationship to Charlotte.

The TV series removed this, but that all came from the manga. spoiler[In fact, it's actually more explicit than what the movie merely suggests.]

As for the whole Charlotte-Griffith relationship...I'd say even the compressed and simplified version seen in the movies doesn't eliminate the implication of his intentions being utilitarian. Not to mention the fact that he's spoiler[clearly thinking of Guts while having sex with her ] pretty much spells outs Griffith's not really considering the princess in a truly romantic sense. One way or another, I felt the film did portray he was acting out of desperation for obvious reasons unrelated to her.

Your larger objections are still fair enough, but I think it's worth pointing out these details aren't all clear-cut incorrect even if the specific areas of emphasis were handled differently than what the TV series did (or the original source, which both re-interpreted). The manga also supports the idea that the poor girl was falling for him hook, line and sinker, so the directorial approach wasn't entirely groundless in this particular respect either.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Maybe these films will get there after the third one? (Film three potential spoilers) spoiler[Apparently film three ends in much of the same way as episode 25 of the TV series. Such a let down after they made a big deal of showing off Skull Knight and other manga-only characters.]

That's really not quite what I've heard about the ending of the third film. spoiler[The Skull Knight does seem to show up when the story requires him to do so, which is something the TV series never did and even that alone should make a difference in terms of how the conclusion is framed. Apparently we do see a post-credits scene with Guts afterwards too. ] Can't really say much more though without actually seeing the third Berserk film.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

Quote:

Also, was the out-of-nowhere implication that the king harbors incestuous feelings for Charlotte in the original manga? Because I sure don't remember it being in the TV series, and once again it completely changes the way the audience perceives Griffith and his relationship to Charlotte.

The TV series removed this, but that all came from the manga. spoiler[In fact, it's actually more explicit than what the movie merely suggests.]
Well that explainsspoiler[the king's disproportionate reaction towards Griffiths after the fact. I never thought "jealousy" more "dishonour". ]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Manga/TV anime spoilers not in these films: spoiler[To that note, the movie doesn't at all cover Griffith's past relation with Gennon. Why is Doldrey so important to the characters? It's not just because it's a strategic stronghold, but because we see Griffith encountering his past and trampling over those who helped him and exploited him at the beginning of him envisioning and seeking his dream. You never get to see how far Griffith will go for his dream even that early on, you never get to see Casca's or Guts' feelings on that matter either.

Why does Gennon have little boys frolicking around the fortress? The movie never attempts to explain that, but it's pretty obvious why when you've read the manga/seen the TV.

...I'm sure the third movie still cuts even more out because it simply hasn't the time, but too much of this stuff being removed means casual movie viewers are not given nearly enough information on character dynamics and motivations.]
I think you make a good point and I agree to a certain degree, but I think the movies had the potential to be a strong interpretation even if they didn't have every single character fleshed out or every motivation detailed. However, this has not happened so far in these movies. They seemed to cut out the bits that they wanted from the story, but nothing was stopping the movie creators from adding things to bring out some of the complexity that you are referring to. We didn't need a panel by panel clone of the manga, but I don't think they've done a good job of distilling the essence of what is Berserk. Again I feel that they didn't develop the characters too well especially some of their relationships and that just blows. I was really looking forward to these movies.

Quote:
...Bad and dated 3D use aside, these movies aren't impressing me because Berserk needs far more time than 100 minutes to cover several volumes of material...So these films use a wider aspect ratio and maybe some newer art when the 3D isn't ruining the experience, but I can say with conviction that they're not being told as well as they could be. Is it nitpicking if important plot points or explanations are skipped?
I could probably live with the sometimes mushy faces and weak visuals if the story was stronger. No, I don't think its nitpicking to say that the story isn't being told in the best way possible and that some more scenes from the source material or newer scenes could have helped, but if someone were expecting every detail from the manga to be presented then that maybe a little picky. At the end of the day I believe that Berserk would have benefited from a Hellsing Ultimate OVA treatment. 2-3 OVAs a year for 4-5 years would have given Berserk the running time to bring out more of the character motivations and depth of the story.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Maybe these films will get there after the third one? (Film three potential spoilers) spoiler[Apparently film three ends in much of the same way as episode 25 of the TV series. Such a let down after they made a big deal of showing off Skull Knight and other manga-only characters.]
Arrghh! I hope this isn't the case. Otherwise its just a modern hack job of the tv show.

nightjuan wrote:
Quote:

You know I never really cared for that in the manga, because it felt like it came out of nowhere. I didn't recall any previous suggestion for it until Griffith brought it up.
Radrappy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
The only reason this whole Casca debate is flaring up is because the word misogyny was used. I agree with the reviewer that it's not the most graceful plot turn and that women might find the moment to be poorly researched, but a hatred of women is a pretty harsh accusation to glean from it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
About the period, I thought Casca was also sick. She did have a fever. Someone mentioned infrequent periods due to malnutrition, but it's also not unusual for women who exercise a lot to have fewer or no periods. And don't think it was normal thing for her; it it was, I doubt she would still be with the Hawks.

Overall, I really have enjoyed Berserk. Unfortunately, Neon Alley is still having those freezing/skipping issues! Evil or Very Mad

Well it was cause of it i deleted it from my PS3.

Viz would have had a better time releasing it on Adult Swim rather than have it as a Neon Alley exclusive.

Princess_Irene wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

how is that possilble?

The Aki Sora OVA's never had any genitals shown at all except the boob shots, but it was treated as hentai.

I guess it's a matter of opinion - the scene was more graphic than most of what gets released here under a non-hentai label, which is why I mentioned it as such - but it could easily make people very uncomfortable. I haven't seen Aki Sora, so I can't compare it to that, but in terms of stuff like 11Eyes, it was much more explicit.

Also, sorry to hear about your buffering. It was annoying enough on my machine with a small amount. Crying or Very sad

Well Aki Sora does that the whole " brother-sister " incest relationship going, but other than that it's scenes are somewhat identical to this movie. Though its more identical to Mad Bull 34 than Aki Sora, BUT it's beyond me that it didn't got the " hentai " label if it was being judged on explicit content.

Also i have never seen nor heard of 11eyes before. so i cant make any assumptions that that series is more sexually graphic than this movie or the Aki Sora OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, the misogyny argument has spilled into anime now?

I honestly don't see it. Berserk is one those extremely unapologetic, hyper violent, dangerous depictions of feudal fantasy. The way the story cannibalized both males and females is one of the major appreciable points of the story even though I understand it not being palatable for many.

My gripe with the movie honestly is the low quality animation quality for a movie and it could have felt more cohesive.
casualfan

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
The hero is Guts and he's the one who's supposed to save the day, not Casca. It only makes sense that she would get into trouble and saved by the hero. And I haven't seen the movies but in the manga, Guts spoiler[got raped for real] when he was a kid, not just attempted rape. So rape is just a part of the dark violent nature of the series.
Nagi21

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:23 am Reply with quote
Can't believe the misogyny card was pulled out for this series of all series. The world of Berserk is harsh, regardless of gender. The reason why Caska is considered strong is despite how much crap they throw at her she still pulls through. spoiler[post-Eclispe obviously. She then becomes a major focal point for Guts character development]

The more pressing issue is that for all the hype of bringing Berserk's original source story into the visual anime spotlight again these movie adapations so far isn't doing any better than the TV series. Besides the obvious animation flaw of the original TV series it was only held back because the manga was far from ending (hell still isn't now but the movies have a lot more content to work with nowadays) so it didn't have a proper end and only serve as a teaser to go read the manga. These current movies have no real excuse besides lack of effort and care.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
though the main thing that is still bugging me is that beserk got a movie launch to reboot the series , but another high violent series bastard for some reason have been avoided like a plauge. Hell even Viz Manga have from what it looks like have abandoned the series after releasing 20 volumes.

its kinda odd that beserk got a movie release but bastard have not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
esaul17

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Spoilers of the manga/anime/movie ahead

I think Caska is put in a situation where she feels she isn't allowed to show weakness. As Guts says, "It's not easy...being a woman". Since she is a woman and has to deal with constant sexism she doesn't really feel like she can just say "On my period, have to check out of the battle today". It would just prove what everyone already thought: that she had no place playing soldier. As a result she forced herself to fight and struggle through it, but combining the fever with the weather and harsh conditions of battle she ended up being overwhelmed. While I am not going to argue the likelihood of a period having this result, I think it clear the intent and message surrounding it were pretty clearly meant to show the unique struggle she has to endure being a woman in such a both physically draining and sexist environment. I think the rape attempts further illustrate that struggle. Plus, Guts was also raped and Griffith sexually exploited, so it is not solely Caska who faced this issue.

Further, the overt misogyny displayed by characters in the show was never shown in a flattering light. When you hear sexist remarks being made, it is clear that you are meant to hate these characters for it and to enjoy the payoff when she defeats them. With the exception of Guts, who made such comments because he knew it would get under her skin and drive her to keep going.

As to her histrionics towards Guts and "fawning over Griffith". She is essentially only histrionic towards Guts, and this is because he is the only person she has seen Griffith value so much. Griffith risks his life for Guts, and his recklessness puts him in harm's way. Griffith means everything to her so her frustration is understandable. Not only is she jealous about how Griffith sees Guts, but she is also angry because she thinks he is putting Griffith at risk. Griffith is the one who showed her that she could have her own agency. We discuss Caska being rescued, so think of how she first meets Griffith. She is sold into slavery to a wealthy noble, who is about to rape her. Griffith arrives, she thinks to save her. But he doesn't, he instead throws her his sword and tells her if she has anything worth defending, to take it up and defend herself. He doesn't save her, he gives you the means by which to save herself.

Ironically this is also what Zodd does by throwing his sword to Guts when fighting the enemy general, though that was cut from the movie. Guts is saved more than once by Griffith, and vice versa so it is unfair to act like only Caska needs rescuing. Also, imagine if Griffith were female. A adept leader who falls to pieces because some big burly man (Guts) leaves the party? Who ends up jumping in bed with someone because they fell to pieces over this guy leaving? Who then becomes a cripple and needs that guy to come back and rescue him? You could hear some people leaping to cry misogyny over such a thing. But since he is male, no one is concerned. Berserk is a complex story with complex characters. Neither Griffith, Guts, not Caska are immune from needing rescue, from making mistakes, or needing support.

Caska is the one who picks up leadership at the Hawks when Guts and Griffith leave, being the only thing keeping them together. She idealizes Griffith for giving her a life of independence, in contrast to the soulless slavery she was so close to entering. She does devote herself to him and his dream, but so does the entirety of the (mostly male) Band of the Hawk. She is the most committed and loyal, but arguably also owed more to Griffith than anyone else. We also have the male, Judeau, fawning over Caska in a way not dissimilar to how she does over Griffith.

This strength in Caska is quite purposefully developed over the length of the Golden Age Arc, so her fate during the Eclipse is made that much more painful by way of contrast. I am not concerned over whether she is a "progressive" female character or not, what I think is important is that she feels like a *real* character (female or otherwise). Her motivations are well explained and make sense, she is not confined to a walking trope or cliche. The idea that she is written in a misogynistic light just doesn't sit well with me in the least.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
The hero is Guts and he's the one who's supposed to save the day, not Casca. It only makes sense that she would get into trouble and saved by the hero. And I haven't seen the movies but in the manga, Guts spoiler[got raped for real] when he was a kid, not just attempted rape. So rape is just a part of the dark violent nature of the series.

Which was why it never got a very long series. it would have been way too controversial.

though its as i said, kinda susprised that it didn't got the hentai treatment at all where aki sora did , since both never showed any genitals at all. even Knights of Ramunes got the ecchi treatment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4