• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Capcom VP: Digital Ace Attorney 5 Release Will Not Hurt Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
If you're going to whine about it being eShop only, you're going to be the one to blame when Capcom says "this didn't sell well so we are not bringing over more Ace Attorney games".

It almost didn't come over in the first place, by the sound of it. It's when big companies avoid the smaller titles (that still have a decently sized fanbase) that annoys me. It's not like we got Miles Edgeworth 2, and no one knows if we'll even get vs Layton. I always figured we would at LEAST get a main story line Phoenix Wright game, knowing that those have had decent success here.

I can't help it that Capcom blew a HUGE budget to hire 600 people to make Res Evil 6, and other decisions like that...
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
Oh yeah? You mean that company that sold less than half of their estimates of video games in 2012? The company that thought Resident Evil 6 was going to sell something crazy like 12million+ copies and sold less than half?

Is the same company that has been consistently losing money for the last several years SERIOUSLY trying to argue this?

No, Capcom, you are wrong. You've been wrong for a REALLY long time. I'm not going to buy it without a physical release. I buy all my games physical (other than old retro games.)

I'd much rather buy a bootleg or pirate it, sadly, which I never ever do.
People like you are the problem here, mate. Ace Attorney hasn't sold very well since the first two entries in NA, and Capcom would be seriously losing money if they put forth a lot of their money into printing it. The reason they're losing money is because they banked on niche games (like AA) selling on the physical marketplace, and now that they're attempting to not make foolish business decisions, you're criticizing them?

Honestly, with all due respect, you kind of sound like a whiny child who can't get what he or she wants. I'm a massive AA fan, and I'm incredibly grateful we even get to play this game in English. This way, Capcom can accurately count the sales for the title, and decide whether or not it would be lucrative to print physical copies of future games. It's a great business decision, and an excellent step in the right direction for a company who's been floundering for a little while.

TL;DR Be grateful we get this game at all, and buy it to show Capcom that people still love this franchise. Pirating the game will ensure Capcom doesn't bring over other ones.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
Is the same company that has been consistently losing money for the last several years...

This is not a reality based statement.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

You do own digital (in particular how eShop purchases are handled*). Its ridiculous to say otherwise.

Some people don't put as much stock in plastic and metal bits as we do THE GAME. Which is what you get when you buy digital games.

*even if you can't move them between devices easily

How can people say they own a game if they can't play it outside their system? You can't even take it to your friends house. And when your system dies, so does your game with it
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

You do own digital (in particular how eShop purchases are handled*). Its ridiculous to say otherwise.

Some people don't put as much stock in plastic and metal bits as we do THE GAME. Which is what you get when you buy digital games.

*even if you can't move them between devices easily

How can people say they own a game if they can't play it outside their system? You can't even take it to your friends house. And when your system dies, so does your game with it

And when your cart dies, your game dies with it. Nothing is permanent, and its feasible to sell the entire contents of your system SD card to another party (though not individual titles, I don't believe).

You do own your purchases, they are yours. And what's ultimately the difference if a game is storied on a custom cart, or stored on the hardware of its system? Easy sharing and reselling is not something a manufacturer must insure.

I found this comment pretty lol

razisgosu wrote:
Not going to buy a digital release. I want my games able to be held in my hand via cartridge or disc, able to pop it in at anytime. I don't want to have to keep track of it and hope I can download it again if I need to.

Like its not MORE convenient to have the game fully loaded on the device for playing any time. Over being "able to pop it in at anytime"
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
The folks demanding physical copies of everything are in for a pretty rude awakening in the next 10 years. Gaming is moving faster into the digital-only space than any other form of media, and handheld devices are moving even faster than traditional consoles.

"PHYSICAL COPY OR NO SALE" means you're basically taking yourself out of the hobby.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

And when your cart dies, your game dies with it. Nothing is permanent, and its feasible to sell the entire contents of your system SD card to another party (though not individual titles, I don't believe).

You do own your purchases, they are yours. And what's ultimately the difference if a game is storied on a custom cart, or stored on the hardware of its system? Easy sharing and reselling is not something a manufacturer must insure.

I found this comment pretty lol

Regardless of what you say, I still disagree. There are enough people who prefer physical and not you or the companies can do anything about that. If the business wishes to follow that route, they're simply losing customers---and thats a fact
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Regardless of what you say, I still disagree. There are enough people who prefer physical and not you or the companies can do anything about that. If the business wishes to follow that route, they're simply losing customers---and thats a fact

And there are enough people who just want to play video games and don't care about physical media. And there's nothing that you can do about that.

Now I'm not saying how Nintendo handles their digital distro is ideal, its really not. But digital distro is conceptually sound. I haven't bought a physical PC game since Steam was introduced. Because there is no need too any more. And now pretty much all PC titles are Digital only. And no body is hurting for sales (and niche indie style games are finding markets they never would have found 10 years ago).

Zac wrote:
"PHYSICAL COPY OR NO SALE" means you're basically taking yourself out of the hobby.

This is basically the final word. The economics of video games are such physical media is just inefficient and expensive. Over the next 10 years everything released physically will also be released digitally. And then the number of physical releases will decline as consumer habits move to digital. Until physical game releases are phased out.

Me? I'm a fan of video games, and not plastic artifacts. So I don't see myself going anywhere as a video game fan. But if all you care about are trophies. I guess you're sol.

Last edited by Mr Adventure on Wed May 15, 2013 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The folks demanding physical copies of everything are in for a pretty rude awakening in the next 10 years. Gaming is moving faster into the digital-only space than any other form of media, and handheld devices are moving even faster than traditional consoles.

As I don't have a problem per-say with digital only copies zac, what I have a problem with is that Nintendo hasn't figured out how to do it correctly. Everything you buy is tied to one system only and if that said system breaks or gets stolen you loose all of your digital games.

Microsoft, Sony, Android os an'd Apple's Ios have figured out how do this correctly by making separate online accounts where you can re-download said content. Lets say you get a newer Ios device or replace one that you own, the apps/software will be able to run on it with out having to re-buy them. Again Nintendo has not done this correctly so no I will not show support for digital only copies on their systems until the figure this out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

As I don't have a problem per-say with digital only copies zac, what I have a problem with is that Nintendo hasn't figured out how to do it correctly. Everything you buy is tied to one system only and if that said system breaks or gets stolen you loose all of your digital games.

Microsoft, Sony, Android os an'd Apple's Ios have figured out how do this correctly by making separate online accounts where you can re-download said content. Lets say you get a newer Ios device or replace one that you own, the apps/software will be able to run on it with out having to re-buy them. Again Nintendo has not done this correctly so no I will not show support for digital only copies on their systems until the figure this out.

On the 3DS your games are tied to your account, not the console. You can buy a new 3DS, move your games off the old one using basic SD card-reading software, plug 'em in to the new one and they'll work provided you're logged in to the same account as the old one.

The issue you're talking about is on the Wii U only.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

On the 3DS your games are tied to your account, not the console. You can buy a new 3DS, move your games off the old one using basic SD card-reading software, plug 'em in to the new one and they'll work provided you're logged in to the same account as the old one.

Okay then zac thank you for clearing that up for me. From what I've read and have experienced through personal experiences with a Dsi. I assumed that Nintendo was still doing the same thing so no to me this is no different than the psn release of corpse party, black rock shooter or other psp digital only games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Really? Interesting. I thought 3DS had the same problem.

This. Changes. Everything.
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

While true, Cecil did mention the possibility of it getting stolen or broken, which does seem to be an issue. That's honestly my only real problem, but it's a minor one.

I generally prefer physically owning something, but I'm cool with digital downloads. Not everything's perfect, but things get worked out over time.
blarg01

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
2013 - There's still no accounts in the eshop to say you own said games.

In short, not buying digital till they finally get that account system set up. Since your games are tied to your system with tickets, you're SOL if your system is broken/stolen. You're out of luck with the system and all those games you bought digitally.

I'm not one to care about physical copies because I do use PC for most of my games, Steam, Desura and so on. When it comes to Nintendo, though, you're pretty much shafted till they get their system accounts set up, which they said won't be around till later or next year...

Edit: After reading a bit of the last comments, I am still a bit skeptical about some of it. I know your system is tied with tickets and if anyone messed with a Wii knows, those tickets are system bounded and if you moved a SD card from one wii to another, those games on the SD card will not work.

In short, I'm still holding off for now...

Edit 2:
Zac wrote:

If that's the case, couldn't you use someones login for club nintendo, that being the ONLY thing you use to tie said accounts, and download a friends digital game? That's why I have my doubts about that since the ticket ID's of the old system and games would not match on the new system. Which is why you have to go through of that trouble of system transferring and be connected online while you do it so nothing screws up.
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
blarg01 wrote:
Zac wrote:

If that's the case, couldn't you use someones login for club nintendo, that being the ONLY thing you use to tie said accounts, and download a friends digital game? That's why I have my doubts about that since the ticket ID's of the old system and games would not match on the new system. Which is why you have to go through of that trouble of system transferring and be connected online while you do it so nothing screws up.
Actually that's not what he said. If you lose the 3DS, you're still SOL, but if it's broken, you just need to take the SD card containing your games out of the system and into a new one. Once you set up the system to your old account you can play them on the new console.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3