• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Capcom VP: Digital Ace Attorney 5 Release Will Not Hurt Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

You do own digital (in particular how eShop purchases are handled*). Its ridiculous to say otherwise.

Some people don't put as much stock in plastic and metal bits as we do THE GAME. Which is what you get when you buy digital games.

*even if you can't move them between devices easily

How can people say they own a game if they can't play it outside their system? You can't even take it to your friends house. And when your system dies, so does your game with it

And when your cart dies, your game dies with it. Nothing is permanent, and its feasible to sell the entire contents of your system SD card to another party (though not individual titles, I don't believe).

You do own your purchases, they are yours. And what's ultimately the difference if a game is storied on a custom cart, or stored on the hardware of its system? Easy sharing and reselling is not something a manufacturer must insure.

I found this comment pretty lol

razisgosu wrote:
Not going to buy a digital release. I want my games able to be held in my hand via cartridge or disc, able to pop it in at anytime. I don't want to have to keep track of it and hope I can download it again if I need to.

Like its not MORE convenient to have the game fully loaded on the device for playing any time. Over being "able to pop it in at anytime"

If I have to balance my SD card storage space vs being able to pop it in anytime I want, it's not as convenient, not to mention the fact of having to re-download it if I ever want to remove it to make space for other games. I had to spend $100 on a good storage space for my Vita because I ran out of storage. Same concept here. If everything is released digitally, I am putting forth more money on top of the physical purchase.
blarg01

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
blarg01 wrote:
Zac wrote:
On the 3DS your games are tied to your account, not the console. You can buy a new 3DS, move your games off the old one using basic SD card-reading software, plug 'em in to the new one and they'll work provided you're logged in to the same account as the old one.

The issue you're talking about is on the Wii U only.

If that's the case, couldn't you use someones login for club nintendo, that being the ONLY thing you use to tie said accounts, and download a friends digital game? That's why I have my doubts about that since the ticket ID's of the old system and games would not match on the new system. Which is why you have to go through of that trouble of system transferring and be connected online while you do it so nothing screws up.
Actually that's not what he said. If you lose the 3DS, you're still SOL, but if it's broken, you just need to take the SD card containing your games out of the system and into a new one. Once you set up the system to your old account you can play them on the new console.

That's not possible because you still have to do a system transfer. The ID that's attached to the game and system will still have you locked out of the game because they don't match the system it originally was downloaded on. Not to mention DSi games are stored on the system itself and not the SD card.

I still don't think that's possible because there's nothing to really link the system to your original system other than a club nintendo login. Not to mention, if that's all it took was swapping a SD card, then why is there such a thing for the transfer option in the settings? Also, it would be VERY easy to pirate games if that was possible.

In short, nothing in the SD card can be transferred from one system to the other cept for some small things like pics, music and maybe one or two other things because everything gets encrypted and tied to one console only.

Last edited by blarg01 on Wed May 15, 2013 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

And there are enough people who just want to play video games and don't care about physical media. And there's nothing that you can do about that.

This is just too funny. There are more people who prefer physical over digital (we're talking about systems, not PCs). Why should I have to worry about managing my hard-drive space, why should I worry and waste time+monthly internet to re-download games if my system dies, why should I worry about carrying my heavy systems to friends houses instead of bringing the single disc? All of those are major flaws with digital only releases.

If they also make these games physical then its fine, but digital only is a bad strategy that they're simply trying to force on us. At the end of the day, as a consumer, I can take my money elsewhere and be just as happy (but it hurts them if many people stop buying their shit)
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
If they also make these games physical then its fine, but digital only is a bad strategy that they're simply trying to force on us.

They aren't forcing it on us. They're doing us a favor. Again, the economics of the whole thing we're lucky we're getting the GAME AT ALL.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
If they also make these games physical then its fine, but digital only is a bad strategy that they're simply trying to force on us. At the end of the day, as a consumer, I can take my money elsewhere and be just as happy (but it hurts them if many people stop buying their shit)

Would you rather they "Force" us to import a Japanese only release as our only option? Thats the alternative, since it sounds like the top brass wouldn't consider a physical release.

Thats the current gaming climate. Either adapt and live with it, or move on to another hobby since gaming is going to become more and more digital only, especially for niche stuff, as time goes on.
terminus24

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I for one never really got into the AA games (have yet to try any), but, IMO, this wasn't really a good decision. I most likely wasn't going to get this anyways, but since it's digital-only, I don't plan to.

My problem with digital isn't just that I prefer physical copies or am worried about storage space, but that, as a consumer, physical releases save me so much money. I've bought games on Amazon for over $10 cheaper than digital (and this is for new games, not used), although if I see something digitally on sale that I want, I might pick it up.
Also, IMO, jumping into a digital game is somewhat risky. Usually, I know what I'm getting into when I buy digital, but if I'm unsure about it, I want a physical copy, because you can resell physical copies, but not digital. If I dislike a physical game, I can sell it and buy another game, but if I dislike a digital game, well, I'm out forty bucks.

Anyways, the way I view it, physical media is a much more consumer-oriented approach, while digital is more oriented towards the businesses. Oh, and releasing any physical (in other regions) game that isn't a super-niche title only on a Nintendo digital platform is a way of making your customers hate you, because the eShop and other digital stores are literally painful to navigate.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
If they also make these games physical then its fine, but digital only is a bad strategy that they're simply trying to force on us.

They aren't forcing it on us. They're doing us a favor. Again, the economics of the whole thing we're lucky we're getting the GAME AT ALL.

I think it has more to do with expectations rather than economics. There are plenty of other niche games that get a physical release as well as a digital. Having a nice limited edition for the collectors and a digital release for everyone else is a pretty common strategy nowadays. I doubt it affects sales all that much, but it helps create and keep loyal fans, which has its own perks. For smaller companies that deal mostly in niche titles it's totally worth the time and effort. But I guess a big company like Capcom (which is used to selling 4+ million copies of titles from certain franchises) sees things differently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3