• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AB Groupe (Dragon Ball Z)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flying_dragon6000

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
AB Groupe is a French company that licensed the Dragon Ball Z Movies for Netherlands, United Kingdom, and Ireland. I'm not sure if you want me to put AB Groupe under French or English since the dialog (voices) are in English, but the actual company is French?

Source: http://www.dragonballencyclopedia.com/wiki/AB_Groupe

Quote: "AB Groupe, a French company that holds the license to the Dragon Ball franchise in most of Europe, licensed and dubbed the movie, which they re-titled In Pursuit of Garlic. This dub featured an entirely unknown voice cast and dialogue that did not fit the mouth flaps. "In Pursuit of Garlic" aired on TV in the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and Ireland, and was sold on DVD in the Netherlands by Bridge Entertainment Group." from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Dead_Zone

Info about AB Groupe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_Groupe
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
It depends on the role. For DVD released in France they would go as a distributor under French companies etc.

Information on an English dub would be recorded under English, but I doubt AB Groupe produced an English dub in-house so the credits would be to the people and the studio who actually did the work.

Also, take anything Wikipedia says with a pinch of salt.

I don't know about broadcast since I've never been interested in watching DBZ, but as far as the home video rights for the TV series go, AB Groupe sat on the UK rights but never did anything with them. The rights reverted to Toei some time ago (confirmed by MangaUK back when they were still struggling to negotiate for them).

As an aside, here's an old email I have from FUNimation (my enquiry had nothing to do with Dragonball...)
Quote:
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2004 12:41 PM
To:
Subject: RE: Store Question

Dear Anime Fan,

Due to the limitations of our license agreement with TOEI Animation, we can only sell merchandise to people in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa (for SA customers, choose US Minor Island for the country), and APO addresses.

Although I don't have any contact information for them, the AB Groupe handles DBZ releases in Europe.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you for contacting us,

Customer Service
ZStore/The FUNimation Store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1