• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
@Volibear:

Of course I didn't go into the show looking for disappointment. I want to be entertained. But neither was I overly hyped for it, so you also can't blame me for setting my expectations too high. Before this season started and as it began to air my attention was focused on Flowers of Evil (with its infamous rotoscope style) and Gargantia on the Verduous Planet (with Gen Urobuchi handling the screenplay).

If they can build a 50m high wall then they can also dig a 50m deep trench and fill it with water and drown the titans, since being stupid and uncoordinated they probably can't swim. And if the titans can swim then don't fill the trench with water, which automatically turns the 50m wall into a 100m wall. And a trench is far studier than a wall. I mean come on, this is a medieval setting, a moat or trench makes perfect sense.

And even if the series is not set on Earth - there's nothing to say it isn't - surely the planet still has islands or even peninsulas with narrow isthmuses, both terrain types offering great defensive qualities. A wall around an island or across an isthmus is better than a wall on flat ground.

Ortensia1980 wrote:
They did have huge trenches around one of the gates and one of the Titans that had fallen in was seen climbing out of one of them so I doubt that moats would have helped.

Could I please have a timestamp? I quickly scanned through the attack in episodes one and two and didn't see that scene, but a timestamp would help me find it. There wasn't a moat on the outside of Wall Maria. I did see a moat but it was inside the wall and looked too shallow and too poorly-maintained to stop even a small titan. More like a stream than a moat.

danilo07 wrote:
And why the hell would they a moat in a first place?They lived in peace for 100 years.

Because moats are cheap and easy to build and offer good defensive qualities in conjunction with a wall. Plus, by your logic they didn't even need the cannons if there had been peace for a century, but they still had them.

Oh, and as to your other point, obviously when the humans were building their fortress the titans didn't exist everywhere, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to clear tens of thousands of square kilometres of land and build walls around it. What's wrong with wondering why they couldn't find an island to do the same?

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
dtm is just being a Frodo.

I don't know what a "Frodo" is (a term named after the hobbit from LoTR?), but calling me that makes you sound like a defensive fanboy who doesn't like that someone is trying to apply logic to his precious Anime. Next thing I know you'll be trying to handwave the fact that none of the defenders saw a 50-60m tall titan coming until it popped it's head over the top of the wall and looked into the city. Something that big is impossible to miss, and we know the guards on the walls can see the surrounding land since it was specifically mentioned.

Suspension of disbelief is needed to enjoy any story, but I expect that the movie or series or book meet me halfway. And I have to wonder what information we could possibly be told that would cover up the plot holes. Okay, so the fact that spoiler[the titans use solar energy to survive covers up the "what do titans eat" plot hole] (I looked it up on Wikipedia), but other plot holes are not so easily addressed.

Plus, and this is important, even without the plot holes the show is still harmed by its amateurish attempts at making an emotional connection. Nothing is natural and subtle, all the emotion is loud and forced and as blunt as a sledgehammer. Eren, our main character, is the worst offender. He's so full of rage - even before the attack - that he makes Shinn Asuka from Gundam SEED Destiny look calm and composed by comparison. A ball of rage wrapped up in the guise of a pathetic loud-mouthed brat who does nothing but yell at people; Eren is hardly sympathetic.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Usually, plot holes and inconsistencies in writing are kind of unfair when the show is not completely finished yet. This might sound weird coming from someone who thinks SnK is pretty underwhelming, but dtm, the 50m wall is explained a bit later in the story (it's been explained in the manga already), so you'll understand why they didn't build a moat later on.

And as getchman says below, the part about the 50-60m giant popping up out of nowhere is also explained later.

Last edited by ScumbagYoshi on Mon May 20, 2013 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad you talked about the opening because I simply LOVE it! I haven't watched an opening so much in all my life lol. I do love this show though. I've caught up with the manga and I can say that they provide background for other charas so we'll see that in the anime in due time. I can't wait for more!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Next thing I know you'll be trying to handwave the fact that none of the defenders saw a 50-60m tall titan coming until it popped it's head over the top of the wall and looked into the city. Something that big is impossible to miss, and we know the guards on the walls can see the surrounding land since it was specifically mentioned.

that's easy. spoiler[ it just appeared via bolt of lightning]
musouka

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
One of the most amusing things about Attack on Titan discussions are people pointing out "plotholes" that are actually explored later on in the series. Whether or not you like the explanations is another matter entirely, but the assumption that the series won't go into any of these things at all is ridiculous.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Well getchman that's totally plausible game logic. I think I saw the same thing in Age of Mythology. And the fact that the lightning couldn't quite make it inside the city is just because the attacking player can't summon creatures near a turtling opponent's buildings. And moats aren't available because the game designers forgot to put them in (either that or the humans haven't researched the relevant part of their tech tree).

Yep, this is just an Anime set inside a computer game; makes perfect logical sense.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well getchman that's totally plausible game logic. I think I saw the same thing in Age of Mythology. And the fact that the lightning couldn't quite make it inside the city is just because the attacking player can't summon creatures near a turtling opponent's buildings. And moats aren't available because the game designers forgot to put them in (either that or the humans haven't researched the relevant part of their tech tree).

Yep, this is just an Anime set inside a computer game; makes perfect logical sense.

I don't understand what's the big deal with your complaints when these things are explained (just not now) and you make a big deal out of needing some kind of logical explanation for everything.

It's like saying Code Geass is utter shit because Lelouche makes the dumbest military moves that use 17th century battle tactics with robots. Or sayng that FLCL is shit because nothing makes any sense. These may be distractionary, but to blow them up out of proportion is just ignoring the fact that making sense is not always a priority for certain anime.

Some times it's just supposed to be a bunch of fun.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

A) This is a series about giant man-eating titans. Complaining that the things they do don't make "sense" is ridiculous

B) You have this continuing problem understanding the concept of "things will be explained later"
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
One of the most amusing things about Attack on Titan discussions are people pointing out "plotholes" that are actually explored later on in the series. Whether or not you like the explanations is another matter entirely, but the assumption that the series won't go into any of these things at all is ridiculous.
Even worse, these people who assume too much also attract those, who know the original work (in this case, manga readers). Some of those people feel obliged to explain, and perhaps spoil, everything, and it may start a discussion about parts of the story that the anime might not even reach.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Look dtm42 the plot holes that you mention are quite clearly not suppose to be revealed right now.We do not know the reason why that Titan does not invade the city and we are quite clearly not meant to,we dont even know if the humans made those walls.Watch the end of series and then complain about them.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
FLCL was meant to be fun and bizarre, and taking it seriously would be the wrong thing to do. But Attack on Titan is clearly not meant to be fun. It's extremely dour, violently graphic, and takes itself completely seriously.

As for things being explained, what I was saying was that the explanation of how the giant titan just popped into existence is so daft that the show is essentially using game logic. A zany Comedy doesn't need to make sense and be plausible, but a serious story like Attack on Titan needs to make some semblance of sense. Different stories are held to different standards depending on what they set out to achieve, and all Attack on Titan has made me do is 1: cringe at the horrible drama, and 2: roll me eyes at how poorly the logic is implemented. It's tried to be clever, but the writer obviously cannot handle the story he has constructed.

I'm reminded of Scrapped Princess, which although it had magic in a medieval setting was very clever in foreshadowing right from the start that spoiler[the magic was not all it seemed.] Therefore even though the answers were not given until well into the show, there was always that sense that things would make sense if given enough time. All Attack on Titan has done is cause things to make even less sense. Lazy defenders who were drunk on the job and didn't see the giant titan approach makes far more sense than the giant titan being zapped into existence right next to (but not inside) the wall.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Once again dtm42 is SUPER MAD that a show isn't doing things in precisely the manner he approves of.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
FLCL was meant to be fun and bizarre, and taking it seriously would be the wrong thing to do. But Attack on Titan is clearly not meant to be fun. It's extremely dour, violently graphic, and takes itself completely seriously.

Sasha Braus.

Quote:
As for things being explained, what I was saying was that the explanation of how the giant titan just popped into existence is so daft that the show is essentially using game logic. A zany Comedy doesn't need to make sense and be plausible, but a serious story like Attack on Titan needs to make some semblance of sense. Different stories are held to different standards depending on what they set out to achieve, and all Attack on Titan has made me do is 1: cringe at the horrible drama, and 2: roll me eyes at how poorly the logic is implemented. It's tried to be clever, but the writer obviously cannot handle the story he has constructed.

>.> If you don't know how that happened because you didn't read the manga, you're really not allowed to say anything.

You know, just because a bunch of characters say something in the show, doesn't mean that's it's automatically true.

Last edited by ScumbagYoshi on Mon May 20, 2013 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Lazy defenders who were drunk on the job and didn't see the giant titan approach makes far more sense than the giant titan being zapped into existence right next to (but not inside) the wall.

That makes a lot less sense, honestly. They made it very, very clear that the Titan materialized out of nowhere. It is reasonable to expect this to get explained eventually and absurd to require an explanation immediately, especially when the show made it very clear that the humans know very little about the titans.

It's much, much harder to believe that titan that huge could come there by foot with NO ONE seeing it. Their lookouts were supposed to be keeping an eye out for much smaller ones, ones that could blend in with the trees and might be able to get fairly close to the wall without being seen. But that huge Titan was as tall as the wall, and vastly higher than ANYTHING around it so it would have been seen from dozens of miles away.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
All Attack on Titan has done is cause things to make even less sense. Lazy defenders who were drunk on the job and didn't see the giant titan approach makes far more sense than the giant titan being zapped into existence right next to (but not inside) the wall.

It makes no sense to you ,because they have not explained them to you.Perhaps you should watch the show till its end and if it explains these things,then that will be legitimate criticism.You can not dismiss a show based on an instinct that things will not make sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7