• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
FLCL was meant to be fun and bizarre, and taking it seriously would be the wrong thing to do. But Attack on Titan is clearly not meant to be fun. It's extremely dour, violently graphic, and takes itself completely seriously.

As for things being explained, what I was saying was that the explanation of how the giant titan just popped into existence is so daft that the show is essentially using game logic. A zany Comedy doesn't need to make sense and be plausible, but a serious story like Attack on Titan needs to make some semblance of sense. Different stories are held to different standards depending on what they set out to achieve, and all Attack on Titan has made me do is 1: cringe at the horrible drama, and 2: roll me eyes at how poorly the logic is implemented. It's tried to be clever, but the writer obviously cannot handle the story he has constructed.

I'm reminded of Scrapped Princess, which although it had magic in a medieval setting was very clever in foreshadowing right from the start that spoiler[the magic was not all it seemed.] Therefore even though the answers were not given until well into the show, there was always that sense that things would make sense if given enough time. All Attack on Titan has done is cause things to make even less sense. Lazy defenders who were drunk on the job and didn't see the giant titan approach makes far more sense than the giant titan being zapped into existence right next to (but not inside) the wall.

I get what you're saying. I thought it was strange too how the armored titan just seemed to show up out of no where to just break the wall. However, a lot of these answers you're asking are explained further in. I'm caught up with the manga now and it pretty much freakin' explains EVERYTHING you are asking. A big part of the show his that the titans are a MYSTERY to the humans. All will be revealed in time.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
bunnyfoofoo05 wrote:
On a different note...YOU ARE ALL WRONG, THE MADOKA MAGICA PARODY IS CLEARLY THE BEST!

I'll vote for the He-man MAD OP, although I also liked the Thomas the Tank Engine one, and one that had something to do with North Korea.

I haven't even looked at the TV series so far. I might get around to it in the future. What I've seen of the Kodansha translation of the manga kinda bored me...
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Next thing I know you'll be trying to handwave the fact that none of the defenders saw a 50-60m tall titan coming until it popped it's head over the top of the wall and looked into the city. Something that big is impossible to miss, and we know the guards on the walls can see the surrounding land since it was specifically mentioned.

It materialised out of thin air. The lighting bolt in its second appearance was a visual technique to illustrate that. Okay, not exactly out of thin air - if you want to know the exact reason, which contains spoilers for where the manga is currently at, it's spoiler[that some humans are able to turn into Titans, and that the Colossal Titan's human did this directly outside the wall.] The explanation is still kind of silly but it's completely internally consistent. It's a niggling concern that's addressed later. That's how mystery series work. This instance was just more offensively stupid than most.
I know you can't really just turn your brain off, but I think you're too sensitive to loose logic in series sometimes.

dtm42 wrote:
FLCL was meant to be fun and bizarre, and taking it seriously would be the wrong thing to do. But Attack on Titan is clearly not meant to be fun. It's extremely dour, violently graphic, and takes itself completely seriously.

It amuses me that FLCL's mostly unimportant sci-fi backstory basically makes more sense than Attack no Eoten.

bunnyfoofoo05 wrote:
Like you could literally tell me that Queen's Blade or Boku no Pico is your personal religion

Please don't put an excellent series of OVAs next to trash.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

bunnyfoofoo05 wrote:
Like you could literally tell me that Queen's Blade or Boku no Pico is your personal religion

Please don't put an excellent series of OVAs next to trash.

*snrk*
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:33 am Reply with quote
Aww, episode 7 is where the real fun begins! X3 Will be looking forward to reactions of the next set of episodes.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Lazy defenders who were drunk on the job and didn't see the giant titan approach makes far more sense than the giant titan being zapped into existence right next to (but not inside) the wall.

I hate to explain the obvious but anytime you have giant monsters and giant walls, the walls are there not to keep them in or out but to be knocked down in a spectacular fashion. It always worked that way for me in Age of Mythology but the first thing I thought of was the gate scene from the original King Kong.

Also, it doesn't matter where the walls come from as that's basic Lovecraft 101; Ancient advanced civilizations can do anything in the face of rampaging monsters.

Why not have it appear inside the city? No, them? Oh, one is a target, two is trouble, a horde is death. That's your basic zombie logic in action.

Mr. Colossal Titan, tear down that Wall! And let the horde in...

Honestly, are you the type of person who watches horror movies for the logical explanation of said horror? Attack on Titan is visceral, a nightmare of giant proportions {no mention of the inverse square law? I thank the ghost of Bert I Gordon for that...} it's great in that regard, I never even considered that to be an issue worthy of discussion.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

No, it just means you shouldn't start complaining about plot-holes when you're less than 1/4 of the way through a series and it's clearly something isn't supposed to be, and doesn't need to be, explained yet. See also SAO, and people demanding to know every tiny detail about the villains plan after the first or second episode.

SAO was an absolutely terrible example for you to use for this point, since we NEVER found out the motivations or details of EITHER of the villain's plans even after they had been caught and stopped. The first villain conveniently "forgot" what his whole plan was about, and the second villain's "plan" was rarely ever shown or referred to, never amounted to anything, and seemed more like an excuse to just capture and try to sexually abuse Asuna.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
and the second villain's "plan" was rarely ever shown or referred to, never amounted to anything,

moral of that story is don't be a dick to teenagers

Last edited by getchman on Tue May 21, 2013 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
SAO was an absolutely terrible example for you to use for this point, since we NEVER found out the motivations or details of EITHER of the villain's plans even after they had been caught and stopped. [...] second villain's "plan" was rarely ever shown or referred to, never amounted to anything, and seemed more like an excuse to just capture and try to sexually abuse Asuna.
I never finished the second half, but as I recall, wasn't his plan spoiler[to develop mind control using the captured SAO players and sell it] while the deal with Asuna spoiler[was to keep her under to let the sham marriage go through and gain control of the company]?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I never finished the second half, but as I recall, wasn't his plan spoiler[to develop mind control using the captured SAO players and sell it] while the deal with Asuna spoiler[was to keep her under to let the sham marriage go through and gain control of the company]?

He briefly indicated this in one of the earlier episodes of the arc, but then that stuff was never delved into in any meaningful way afterwards. It was a sham plan. We never see spoiler[any of the mind controlled people or see how it is impacting them.] We never see what is the ultimate end goal/end game of spoiler[the mind control technology.] Will he take over world leaders? Will he enslave the world's youth and make them build a pyramid to his godliness? What the heck is he doing all of this for? There was never any big reveal of what his ultimate plan was. After he spoiler[introduces the mind-control tech, the rest of the show simply focuses on him holding Asuna captive, Kirito's efforts to save her (and sexy hijinks with his little sister and other female characters + some admittedly exciting battle scenes), and several scenes where the bad guy molests Asuna's unconscious or otherwise restrained body.] The climax of the show has nothing to do with Kirito ending the bad guy's plan for world domination, spoiler[it is a scene where the bad guy is about to sexually violate Asuna and Kirito somehow summons his special power (with the help of the deranged bad guy from the first arc) to stop him just before he can, and take his revenge in an EXTREMELY over the top way.] The end.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Tue May 21, 2013 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
bunnyfoofoo05

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
bunnyfoofoo05 wrote:
On a different note...YOU ARE ALL WRONG, THE MADOKA MAGICA PARODY IS CLEARLY THE BEST!

I'll vote for the He-man MAD OP, although I also liked the Thomas the Tank Engine one, and one that had something to do with North Korea.

Ok you win...just looked up the He-man video and completely lost it. Pure gold, I am still laughing.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
Maybe because it is an adaptation of the source material and they had to cut some key moments out as far as running time is concerned?

In regards to the first arc's villains motivation spoiler[Akihiko Kayaba got caught up in the fantasy world, what could have been a whim of a decision to join in and be a direct observer of his "prisoners" became a way of life that he might have actualy enjoyed being Heathcliff over the drudges of what used to be his normal life and in turn he literaly forgot WHY he started the plan in the first place, this makes sense if you have ever been a video game addict and you define most of your positive life aspects with playing a game in place of the normal ups and downs of regular human interaction.
Though I could agree that from story telling aspect it isn't that great of an explanation. ]
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
We aren't having an SAO discussion in this thread, people.

That being said, consider this relevant MAD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP8GhK89k6k
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Despite my overall disdain of SAO, the first bad guy, Kayaba, is not one of the contributing factors for it. Although he said he "forgot", I think he meant that he got caught up in what he was doing rather than that he literally forgot his initial motivations (which is what Kirito was asking about). And he *did* explain why: spoiler[he talked about wanting to create a floating castle and a world where certain motifs were still alive and well, where real heroes and real villains existed. That is what motivated him to create SAO. And, of course, for it to be really real, there had to be real stakes involved. He did explain all of this, and it was something I could understand and even sympathize with (as I think Kirito did, on a certain level).] So I think the claim that he didn't actually have a motivation isn't actually true, so long as you look at the entirety of what he said at the end.

Edit: Sorry, Key, I just wanted to point something out.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

SAO was an absolutely terrible example for you to use for this point,

SAO was terrible, but it works fine for the comparison I was making. The point is that some of these things don't NEED to be explained. It had legitimate issues (I haaaaaated the show by around the halfway point) but those were largely different ones. It's great that Titan explains these things, it's preferable that shows do, but not everything NEEDS to be explained

Edit: I'd like to point out that I'm not discussing SAO, just the claim that it didn't serve the point I was trying to make.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7