• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Man-Faye

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:11 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Waitaminute, is AX held in San Fransisco or California? Cause that's some pretty weird shyte going on given the "openess" of Cali in recent years.

LOL, that's the funniest stuff I ever heard.

I love the story about meeting his dad in the costume. Must have been awkward. Oh yeah if you have G4techtv, they did an interview with manfaye and he was shaking his hairy ass (they had to censore it too).
KiraYamato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:36 am Reply with quote
Go Man-Faye. Laughing I'll never forget the time he tried to hug me. Now I probably would've let him, but back then I was a little nerd so I ran away.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:37 am Reply with quote
Man-Faye was a lot more disturbing back when he was really fat. The spillage really made those Daisy Dukes nearly invisible.

Seriously, that image was so groady, I couldn't look directly at him.

Man-Faye was not the only cosplayer to get tossed out because of a too-revealing costume. I believe at least one "Sexy-no-Jutsu" cosplayer got the boot this year. Of course, any time you're censoring people you're going to get accused of being partial... but back then, in terms of exposed flesh-over-clothed ratio, he was clearly spilling more flesh than would have been acceptable for anyone.

Honestly, I don't condone anyone cosplaying as something that revealing. Most of the women who do it are attention whores as well, and let's face it, most anime fans don't have bodies I want to see. But I gotta agree with AX on this one, the first year anyway. That sight would make babies cry.
smutchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:10 am Reply with quote
It was interesting to hear something more personal about Man-Faye. I just knew the pictures but not the story behind them.

The link to his "MySpace" doesn't work correctly though.
Raoh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:41 am Reply with quote
I can see it now.

"NBC Presents, the made for TV movie, "Hey, who just smacked my ass?!? - The life of Man-Faye".

I've known of Man-Faye for along time, and I respect that he has the guts to go around and dress like that.

I also agree that if he wants to crossplay Faye, he has the right to do so.

I really wanted to go to AX this year, but ya know, after hearing about this, I may just decide never to go to AX.

They might kick me out for being a bit overweight.

Bastards.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:

I really wanted to go to AX this year, but ya know, after hearing about this, I may just decide never to go to AX.

They might kick me out for being a bit overweight.

Bastards.

*personal opinion not affiliated with any organization*

I actually have to step in at this point. AX is an *amazing* convention, and it's one of the conventions that I recommend the most to everyone. Even though Man-Faye has faced trouble with them before, he still has respect for them, and what they represent for anime fans.

By all means, let his story provoke you to think about double standards or people's biased tastes (since it was an ACC person who complained, not an AX chair), but don't rush into boycotting a great convention. =/
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
I think a lot of people have problems with AX's draconian and arbitrary policies. Man-Faye's just pointing one of them out.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:21 am Reply with quote
Man-Faye wrote:
"I've upset some convention staff members, but a bunch of fan people are cheering me on. Quickly, I must don the cloak of fighter for equal rights and hope they forget my original intentions were hedonistic at best! Come forth, penis, and show the world your true beauty through my revealing shorts! MAN FAYE POPULARITY GET! For the TRUE meaning of Anime!"
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
While I may not appreciate the sight of ANY anime fan strutting their ugly stuff at a con, I would never deny them that right unless they were also breaking decency rules/laws set down in writing. I think there's a little bit of grey area here, though, with regards to Man-Faye's hairy behind (let's face it, this is the ONLY part of his costume that is getting him banned from AX.) An overweight woman wearing a pair of hotshorts like that and also sporting a hairy behind (among other things) would probably be pulled aside by con officials for a little talking to. Would she ardently defend her right to expose her nether region in such a way? Probably not...unless she had really, really high self-esteem and thought she had a good reason to protest vociferously.
Man Faye is up in arms because he feels they are discriminating against him for being male, but that's not the point. He is dislpaying something truly hideous JUST to display it. The overweight woman in the hotpants is probably not determined to flaunt her similarly ugly body part JUST to flaunt it. Further, he is trying to slip through a crack (no pun intended) and push the envelope of what is acceptable wear at an event that welcomes (within clearly stated limits) the outrageous outfits of its attendees. The con officials recognize this and are taking action they feel is warrented to stop such unacceptable behavior. Until you have Man Faye and a second, equally offensive individual of the female sex side by side attempting to enter a con and the latter allowed entry and the former banned, I don't think Man Faye has the grounds to complain about discrimination.

Man Faye is garnering attention and notoriety for something that shocks and disgusts many people and is trying prop up these very self-centered goals on a basis of freedom of expression and equal rights. (This is why he refuses to take up another costume. Would he have taken up another costume by now if his current outfit hadn't become so infamous and, somehow, the platform for his so-called equal rights arguments? I suspect so.)
Yes, society has different standards for how men and women are perceived in certain kinds of outfits. There are certain parts of men and women that are NOT equal and, therefore, do not enjoy equal rights. There's nothing wrong with this. If you are a woman and dress in a thong and pasties and try to shop at the mall, you're going to get tossed out. If you happen to be a man dressing this way and you get the boot, it is ridiculous to start preaching about discrimination.

"But other girls are flashing their buttocks," argues Man Faye. (I would like to see the costumes he's referencing here. Somehow I doubt they are as revealing.) So, let's look at this from another perspective. A man in pasties at a con is not likely to be banned, but you can bet a woman would be. Is this discrimination? No, absolutely not. I really don't think anyone is going to argue that exposure of a woman's breasts and a man's breasts is the exact same thing. Likewise, a woman's behind and a man's behind are not the same, when it comes to exposure. While hot pants on a girl cosplayer probably wouldn't raise too many eyebrows, hot pants on a guy would. In Man Faye's case, he pushes it to an extreme, and then complains about the repercussions. Why he can't understand the consequences of his actions is beyond me.
yoshitoshi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:13 am Reply with quote
Well this sure is a way to cover ONE side of the story, how about the other. Rolling Eyes

If you believe for one second that he was completely innocent, then you probably also believed there were WMDs in Iraq. I dare your reporter to call up AX and get the real story, or at least the other side of it if you are going to give him a soapbox to slander them.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He is dislpaying something truly hideous JUST to display it. The overweight woman in the hotpants is probably not determined to flaunt her similarly ugly body part JUST to flaunt it.

The question is should people be ban from showing their body just because it is 'ugly' while somebody who is 'attractive' gets away with it? People shouldn't be discriminated against because they are fat or 'ugly'. I don't particularly won't to see a guys fat hairy behind but that doesn't mean a guy with a fat hairy behind shouldn’t be ban from showing it when a women with an attractive behind gets away with showing hers.

Quote:
Until you have Man Faye and a second, equally offensive individual of the female sex side by side attempting to enter a con and the latter allowed entry and the former banned,

I doubt they would pull aside a overweight women for doing the same thing, it would be a lot more likely that they would get sued if they did.

Quote:
I really don't think anyone is going to argue that exposure of a woman's breasts and a man's breasts is the exact same thing. Likewise, a woman's behind and a man's behind are not the same, when it comes to exposure.

Breasts on women are often seen as a sexual object, that's not the case with men. Using the term breasts for men just doesn't work anyway. A women’s breasts and a mans chest are completely different in the way they look and in the way they function.

However a women’s behind and a mans behind can both be seen as sex objects. Yeah of course they're somewhat different but it isn't the same as with breasts.

I agree with you that he is probably just flaunting his behind for the shock value. However that can't be proven so is really kind of besides the point.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
yoshitoshi wrote:
Well this sure is a way to cover ONE side of the story, how about the other. :roll:

If you believe for one second that he was completely innocent, then you probably also believed there were WMDs in Iraq. I dare your reporter to call up AX and get the real story, or at least the other side of it if you are going to give him a soapbox to slander them.

...that's why this is an interview, and *not* an investigation. The actual point of this is to present Man-Faye's side of the matter, not a fair-and-balanced look at anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
oe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote
yoshitoshi wrote:
Well this sure is a way to cover ONE side of the story, how about the other. Rolling Eyes

Um... I'm not sure that's an appropriate comparison for something of this scale. Americans aren't exactly dying over Man-Faye's hairy ass. And it seemed to me that Man-Faye was careful not to slander AX, giving some of the reasons he thinks AX is important for anime fans. He also acknowledged that he is an attention whore.

Regardless of Man-Faye's intentions, AX should make clear standards or rules for dress and be transparant about those standards so when Man-Faye gets kicked out we know it's because he broke some clearly delineated rules rather than speculate about any discriminatory attitude on AX's part.

But I'm all for Man-Faye. I'd imagine he's good for a laugh at a con, at least, although I can understand people's desire for him to retire the costume at this point.
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
His costume is not even accurate when it comes Faye from cowboy bebop.I mean honestly the shorts he wears are way to short.Plus if guys are going cross dress and do women costumes please do everything properly(shave and take care of private parts).While i know this interview was done to be amusing i think they could have found a more amusing person to interview.The only reason why he got the attenion is lack of good judgement on his part.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Nan Desu Kan is comming up, I hear that he is comming.

I did Man Excel once, maybe I should dig out that costume and start cosplaying as that full time once more.

Man-Faye and a Man Excel would probably be too much for our con to handle, Advent_Nebula. Laughing Of course, it could be pretty funny.

But seriously, there is a double standard here that should rasie some concerns. From what I've seen, he is (for the most part) covered up. I have seen girls/women at cons that have worn less than he does who, although they may raise more than a few eyebrows, are allowed to stay. I think that people's feelings or their brand of "morals" shouldn't be forced on others. Is the guy naked? No. Is he physically harming someone? No. Let him be and just chalk him up as a curiosity.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8