• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Emma

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
Ack. There's more? I had simply assumed it was done and finished with at volume 7.

Paploo wrote:
Loved CMX's edition of the manga- I have Vol.1-7 plus Shirley, and loved the stock they use on the covers.... it made such a distinctive look. Wish I'd ordered 8-10, but I had the primary story [which was just fantastic stuff btw] and wanted toget other CMX titles..... if anyone wants to check Mori's work out before trying to track down Emma, I'd suggest picking up Shirley, as it's selfcontained, though not as dramatic as Emma itself.

Glad that Yen Press has picked up her new title.

I'm in the same boat...loved the editions even if the translation could've been more "authentic," but no bother. I do enjoy it a lot, but I was once glad I had picked it up as it was being released...

I thought it got a bit annoying towards the end, but I don't know if that's because I read the last three books all in a row or not. I actually started reading it again a couple weeks ago, and I am quite a fan of it, especially its mood. Glad to see a nice feature on it!
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I rather liked the melodramatic plot turns towards the end. Sure, it sort of clashes with the earlier parts of the series, but to me it's more like Mori's nod to the melodramatic nature of Victorian drama. I know it's sacrilegious to criticize them today, but most Victorian novels back in the day were serialized as cheap melodramas. Read any Dickens novel objectively and you'll find a slew of "well that piece of nastiness sure came out of nowhere..." moments.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
I'm one of "those girls" who happily marathons BBC period dramas for a weekend, more entranced by the world and clothes the characters live in than the story of the characters. Emma was so different than what I've found in any other comic because I found myself reading it for the same reasons I read Jane Austen, or watch those mentioned period dramas. Different, but I liked it, and had a hard problem to put it down. With all its faults, those differences make Emma stand out in my bookshelf and to add to it I constantly go back to them as an art student for reference on how to do silent - non dialogue scenes, or just backgrounds in general. I seriously love Emma.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
A lot of the things that were listed as faults for Emma were quirks that I thought that added charm. I loved the detail and time spent on simple tasks, such as showing Emma getting ready in the morning. They may be pointless to the plot, but they helped set the mood and setting for me. And I also loved the melodrama at the end. I loved seeing the reserved Emma and slightly-less-reserved William break out of their shells and become seized by their passions. In fact, that was one of the things I found most disappointing about the anime - how the characters were not as passionate. To this day, I still get butterflies in my stomach watching William stand up to that jackass, forcing the trains to run so that he could see Emma, visiting her in the middle of the night, and then giving her that breathtaking kiss in volume 7. It just so fits his character for me.

This series still remains in my top 5 manga, and I own all 10 volumes. I just pre-ordered Mori's latest manga to show my support. I love her artwork, I love her detail, I love the way she tells stories and all the side, slice-of-life glimpses we get into characters and their daily lives, so this order was a no-brainer. I'm really looking forward to this series, and I hope it's relatively successful for Yen Press.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SailorMoonlight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:46 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed reading Emma. It may not be the ultimate super plot-twisty, original shojo story, but it was simply good. It is the typical story you would show to anyone, who likes romantic and sweet stories.
I think the moments, where "nothing" happened were the ones which showed how her life was. I think her daily routines were massive part of her life, she wasn't a talkative person, she wasn't thinking about rumours or anything, she just simply focused on her daily tasks, which gives a much deeper impression of her character than any usual conversation. It is exactly like the long descriptions in Romantic novels, only it uses the pictures to describe the settings.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
I rather liked the melodramatic plot turns towards the end. Sure, it sort of clashes with the earlier parts of the series, but to me it's more like Mori's nod to the melodramatic nature of Victorian drama. I know it's sacrilegious to criticize them today, but most Victorian novels back in the day were serialized as cheap melodramas. Read any Dickens novel objectively and you'll find a slew of "well that piece of nastiness sure came out of nowhere..." moments.

Yeah, but the scene in Emma just wasn't nasty *enough*. spoiler[I mean, not that it should have turned into graphic blood and gore, but the kidnapping, and how the heroines recover from it, just isn't very bad. It seems like something horrible is going to happen to Emma, and she might have to run or fight for her life or get rescued, but then the kidnappers just drop her off in America and that's that. Even if William couldn't find her, didn't they think she could, you know, send him a letter? The whole sequence is like "Oh no! How will our heroes ever recover from this tragedy?" and then the answer is "Oh, nevermind, it's actually not a big deal after all." ]

I agree that the silent scenes are part of the appeal of the series, though!
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
Yeah, but the scene in Emma just wasn't nasty *enough*. spoiler[I mean, not that it should have turned into graphic blood and gore, but the kidnapping, and how the heroines recover from it, just isn't very bad. It seems like something horrible is going to happen to Emma, and she might have to run or fight for her life or get rescued, but then the kidnappers just drop her off in America and that's that. Even if William couldn't find her, didn't they think she could, you know, send him a letter? The whole sequence is like "Oh no! How will our heroes ever recover from this tragedy?" and then the answer is "Oh, nevermind, it's actually not a big deal after all." ]

I think having such an outcome different than what was shown is unexpected, given that this is a Victorian/Edwardian era tale. Even with Jack the Ripper in the background, you don't really expect such a detail to be thrown out. In fact, one has to ask if such a plotline even is historically accurate? Human trafficking would be plausible given the time frame, but the other stuff? I dunno.....
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
derp, double post.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3