• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online to Air on Toonami Starting in August

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

I get it fencedude you hate sao, I thought it was 3 out of 5 series personally. It was average with a lot of wasted of potential but it was far from being terrible IMO. Now if you want terrible for 2012 go watch "so i can't play h or Sengoku Collection"

What are you talking about Sengoku Collection was one of the greatest shows of 2012.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
He said the reasons were "not well defined" (which is true) not that it never offered any explanation at all.

No, that statement is also in error. What's "not well defined" when when a certain character specifically says that spoiler[Kirito was the only person to get the Dual-Wield skill because it was a reward for having the fastest reaction time in the game]?

There are things to legitimately complain about concerning the series. This, however, is not a place where the writing is in any way at fault.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
He said the reasons were "not well defined" (which is true) not that it never offered any explanation at all.

No, that statement is also in error. What's "not well defined" when when a certain character specifically says that spoiler[Kirito was the only person to get the Dual-Wield skill because it was a reward for having the fastest reaction time in the game]?

There are things to legitimately complain about concerning the series. This, however, is not a place where the writing is in any way at fault.

Ok, I'll concede the point Key. Its also a hilariously minor aspect of my problems with the show and harping on it basically demonstrates you don't have a defense against its more egregious offenses.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I'll have to take you at your word that that explanation was actually in the show because I sure don't feel like trying to track down where that was said. I only remember the show briefly saying something about spoiler[the game giving out special exclusive skills to select players but not the reasons for it.]

Key wrote:

Then perhaps you'd like to address some of the things he actually considered to be major flaws rather than trying to descredit those by picking nits?
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Then perhaps you'd like to address some of the things he actually considered to be major flaws rather than trying to descredit those by picking nits?

Oh, don't give me that. Picking nits was the bread and butter of SAO critics when the series was airing. The critics didn't give a damn about them being nitpicks back then, so it seems rather hypocritical to condemn someone else for doing the same thing now.

And really, a lot of the criticisms cited in the linked post were nitpicks rather than "major flaws." Some of them I agree with. Of the few major points made that aren't pure opinion, I entirely agree that certain parts of how the episode 14 climax played out were problematic; that's absolutely the point where the series stumbles the worst. The overall approach wasn't, however. The pacing of episodes 8-13 and the dramatic build-up in episode 13 (which, BTW, I would point to as one of the examples of the series getting things right) made it clear that something big was going to happen besides just a boss battle in episode 14, and a foundation had been lain earlier for spoiler[Kirito figuring out that Heathcliff was Kayaba], so the general course of events there was sensible even if certain details ended up being ridiculous. Fencedude was also being very selective in picking out details to use in his criticisms of Asuna as a character, effectively ignoring other things she did which showed strong points.

As for the rest? It's either pure opinion or something that I probably addressed in one of the reviews. It's rather late where I am, so I'm not going to just keep regurgitating things I've said publicly before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Fencedude was also being very selective in picking out details to use in his criticisms of Asuna as a character, effectively ignoring other things she did which showed strong points.

Such as? No, seriously, I'm interested.

Also some of your rebuttals here are pretty hilarious consider some of the things you've used to claim that Horizon isn't even worth your time to review
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Oh, don't give me that. Picking nits was the bread and butter of SAO critics when the series was airing. The critics didn't give a damn about them being nitpicks back then, so it seems rather hypocritical to condemn someone else for doing the same thing now.

Except that, as much as I hate SAO, I also think that a lot of the complaints are nitpicky bullshit. I was one of the ones DEFENDING SAO during the early episodes (so was Fencedude, for that matter) from that kind of stuff. Frankly, even if there really was no further explanation regarding the previous issue, I wouldn't really care. So no, I'm not being a hypocrite on this, but hey, thanks for making assumptions about me!

Quote:
he pacing of episodes 8-13 and the dramatic build-up in episode 13 (which, BTW, I would point to as one of the examples of the series getting things right) made it clear that something big was going to happen besides just a boss battle in episode 14, and a foundation had been lain earlier for spoiler[Kirito figuring out that Heathcliff was Kayaba], so the general course of events there was sensible even if certain details ended up being ridiculous.

I more or less agree with this, I think.

Quote:
Fencedude was also being very selective in picking out details to use in his criticisms of Asuna as a character, effectively ignoring other things she did which showed strong points.

And I think you, and anyone else that tries to defend the show when it comes to female characters overall and Asuna in particular, are doing precisely that but the opposite.
loka

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Good for Toonami. They put .hack//SIGN on a long time ago, but it was too wordy for people who were not really into anime already. Or at least that was the complaint I heard at the time. If they wanted a gamer series, it's better that they chose Sword Art over that repetitive sentai-wannabe show Accel World.
Ryasha

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Good for Toonami. They put .hack//SIGN on a long time ago, but it was too wordy for people who were not really into anime already. Or at least that was the complaint I heard at the time. If they wanted a gamer series, it's better that they chose Sword Art over that repetitive sentai-wannabe show Accel World.
I would have rather they got Accel World if I had a choice between the two. Enjoyed it a lot more than SAO.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Except that, as much as I hate SAO, I also think that a lot of the complaints are nitpicky bullshit. I was one of the ones DEFENDING SAO during the early episodes (so was Fencedude, for that matter) from that kind of stuff. Frankly, even if there really was no further explanation regarding the previous issue, I wouldn't really care. So no, I'm not being a hypocrite on this, but hey, thanks for making assumptions about me!

My apologies, I had it fixed in my head that you were another of the ardent critics.

Quote:
Key wrote:

And I think you, and anyone else that tries to defend the show when it comes to female characters overall and Asuna in particular, are doing precisely that but the opposite.

I'm pretty sure that I've said or agreed on multiple occasions that the series does Asuna an injustice with the way it treats her in the second. I can also see where some of the criticisms come from, so I'm hardly doing the opposite.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Key wrote:

Such as? No, seriously, I'm interested.

Here are a few points:
1. spoiler[Asuna, and not Kirito, was the one to first go on the offensive against Gleaming Eyes, and did significant enough damage to him to divert his attention from The Army guys under duress. Kirito just followed her lead there.]
2. spoiler[Asuna was the one who bolstered Kirito's courage going into the level 75 boss fight rather than the other way around.]
3. spoiler[Asuna kept up with Kirito during the dungeon-clearing scenes prior to encountering Gleaming Eyes, needing no help from him.]
4. spoiler[Asuna combined her efforts with Kirito as an equal against boss-level foes on at least three other occasions: against the level 1 boss, against the level 75 boss, and against the reaper guy in the episode with Yui.]
5. spoiler[Asuna was shown giving directions as the figure in charge in an assemblage of groups on the leading front of clearing dungeon levels (ep 5?) and was shown having a more widely-known and respected reputation than Kirito.]
6. spoiler[Even though she doesn't end up killing him (which a lot of people wanted to see her do), she does come to Kirito's rescue and put Kuradeel in his place when he tries to kill Kirito.]
7. Asuna is shown being quite capable of taking charge and asserting herself in other situations, too, although I'll admit this isn't consistent. spoiler[She even does what she can during the Fairy Dance arc; that the story's circumstances in that arc put a limiter on her doing more is my other big beef with the series.]

I'm going to be rewatching this one in full as the dub airs (I've rewatched certain episodes since it aired but not the whole thing), so we'll see if my opinion on how Asuna is handled changes. I doubt it, though.

Quote:
Also some of your rebuttals here are pretty hilarious consider some of the things you've used to claim that Horizon isn't even worth your time to review

Hey, I never got sent a review copy of that one, and it wasn't a title I liked enough to buy. I'm not going to waste my money buying a series just so I can trash it. (And I would have shredded that one so badly that I would have pissed you off even more, so it's probably for the best.)
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
This is a really nice addition imo. It's a good match in tone (awesome fights in every episode) and it's pretty timely compared to everything else they've ever added. It's in the same genre as stuff like One Piece, Bleach, Soul Eater, Naruto, Fairy Tail, etc (ie everything Toonami airs) and is on par with or better than depending on what metrics you want to use. Seems like a perfect fit.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I agree with your argument - hell, I've said essentially the same thing myself on many occasions - but not your use of SAO as an example. (I haven't ever seen any of the other two, so I won't comment on those.) If you had said "it's not a top-quality series" then I would fully agree with you; heck, I gave the series only middling grades on writing for both arcs. And I don't think that I've ever denied that its entertainment value well exceeds its qualitative value. I will vociferously disagree with you, and anyone else who wants to comment, that the writing is total s***, however. I know what "it's awful but it still entertained me" looks like, and that's not SAO. You and others claim that there are incontrovertible writing flaws; I can point to things that the series does right which should be equally incontrovertible by the same writing standards you claim to be judging the series by. If the series was truly as awful as you claim it was, would those factors still be there?

I do, to an extent, believe that there are certain qualitative factors that can be objectively good or objectively bad. When people get such a mad-on hate for a title that they refuse to acknowledge what a title does well that is objectively meritorious then their evaluation become opinion. That's what I see happening with SAO when people refer to it as utter garbage. For all that it may do wrong, it does enough other things right to compensate.

And, for the record, SAO is far from the only title which gets this kind of reaction. It's just the most recent one.

It really just comes down to the degree of things. Yes, there are things the show does right. I won't deny that. For example, the first two episodes are still some of the best opening episodes to a series I've ever seen and I have no problems with them at all. But I see these good parts as few enough and not impactful enough to make a difference in my overall judgment of the series. (For the record, I don't think I've actually made my view of SAO well known on this site, but I do consider it the worst anime I've ever seen) There are simply too many glaring flaws, some actually seeming to exist just to ruin things that were previously good, rendering them null anyway, for me to consider the positives able to save the series.
SiLVER820

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

Love this show tbh, mostly because the protagonist is a badass and he knows it from the beginning. Theres not enough shows like that.

Go Nagai's protagonists have that reputation.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Key wrote:
I agree with your argument - hell, I've said essentially the same thing myself on many occasions - but not your use of SAO as an example. (I haven't ever seen any of the other two, so I won't comment on those.) If you had said "it's not a top-quality series" then I would fully agree with you; heck, I gave the series only middling grades on writing for both arcs. And I don't think that I've ever denied that its entertainment value well exceeds its qualitative value. I will vociferously disagree with you, and anyone else who wants to comment, that the writing is total s***, however. I know what "it's awful but it still entertained me" looks like, and that's not SAO. You and others claim that there are incontrovertible writing flaws; I can point to things that the series does right which should be equally incontrovertible by the same writing standards you claim to be judging the series by. If the series was truly as awful as you claim it was, would those factors still be there?

I do, to an extent, believe that there are certain qualitative factors that can be objectively good or objectively bad. When people get such a mad-on hate for a title that they refuse to acknowledge what a title does well that is objectively meritorious then their evaluation become opinion. That's what I see happening with SAO when people refer to it as utter garbage. For all that it may do wrong, it does enough other things right to compensate.

And, for the record, SAO is far from the only title which gets this kind of reaction. It's just the most recent one.

It really just comes down to the degree of things. Yes, there are things the show does right. I won't deny that. For example, the first two episodes are still some of the best opening episodes to a series I've ever seen and I have no problems with them at all. But I see these good parts as few enough and not impactful enough to make a difference in my overall judgment of the series. (For the record, I don't think I've actually made my view of SAO well known on this site, but I do consider it the worst anime I've ever seen) There are simply too many glaring flaws, some actually seeming to exist just to ruin things that were previously good, rendering them null anyway, for me to consider the positives able to save the series.

I wouldn't go to say it the worst but it does have its flaws and is pretty silly at times with its logic. It's a dumb fun entertaining series. It's kind of like your big blockbuster summer movies. They can be fun and entertaining and even fun to watch but not really all that great. SAO is kind of like that, a good popcorn movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
I wouldn't go to say it the worst but it does have its flaws and is pretty silly at times with its logic. It's a dumb fun entertaining series. It's kind of like your big blockbuster summer movies. They can be fun and entertaining and even fun to watch but not really all that great. SAO is kind of like that, a good popcorn movie.

SAO doesn't have nearly enough explosions for that. Or action in general. Yeah, it tries to market itself on its action, but the action in the show was disappointingly sparse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10