• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online to Air on Toonami Starting in August

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
To some of those who no longer see there posts. Your post may have been deleted for excessive quoting.
Alexander55

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Well congrats I guess, for Aniplex getting this show on TV.

This will help them reel in existing fans of the animated series and a several people who are both clueless about Anime and don't have Internet access but I think that's as far as its going. I can imagine it somewhere in the 600,000-900,000 but no higher than that. Because most people would rather watch News Corp/Fox's Family Guy than One Piece, Blue Exorcist or any of Funi/Aniplex's Anime on TV.

Plus its only on Saturday night and is relegated to to the ghetto slot on Time Warner's CN block(after 9:00 P.M I believe) therefore, most of us are going to have dinner with our family, on the web, or in our bed.

I don't watch TV anymore as I watch most of my Anime from Crunchyroll, Hulu, and through DVD, but I'm going to purchase it from RightStuf anyway because my older sister really loved this anime series.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Wasn't that the whole point of it being a game that could kill you?

Well yeah they play with that idea for a little bit but not much comes of it beyond that first quarter or so and again most people would agree the first quarter of that show despite being largely disjointed because of it's side story nature (Accel World did a lot better job in integrating it's side story arcs into the narrative to the point where I honestly didn't even know those episodes were side stories until somebody told me while I knew SAO's had to be nearly right away) is arguably the strongest part of the entire series before it becomes mostly about the romance between Kirito and Asuna (and later I guess Suguha) where I'm sure many people would agree YMMV.

By the time of the second half of the show the killing you aspect of the game seems to have gone the way of the dodo and the show becomes more about vaguely defined mind control conspiracies of ham-fisted villains. spoiler[Man did that Sugou guy turn out to be a chump once his mod privileges were revoked btw, he went down in no time flat. I mean at least Heathcliff could play the game competently without administrator privileges.] Accel World also had a similarly ham-fisted villain as it's second half antagonist but spoiler[he was actually kind of crafty and cunning in that he kept finding ways to just barely stay in the fight and if not win at least not lose till the very end.]

Mad_Scientist wrote:

Wait, are you implying that buying a series you hate, just for the sole purpose of writing a review explaining how much you hate it, is somehow a sign of maturity? Or that deciding not to buy a series you hate is somehow immature?

Or maybe you think there was something insulting about Key's statement that Fencedude, who is already annoyed at comments Key made regarding the quality of Horizon, would probably be even more angry if Key wrote a full review going into depth about how much he dislikes the series?

I'm honestly not sure what the issue you have here is.

None of those at all, I was being tongue in cheek. Key's comment just seemed like the sort of thing I'd expect to see from a butthurt fanboy on MAL or something basically saying, "Oh yeah well I'll write a shitty review of a show I clearly don't even like anyway just to spite you for sharing your critical thoughts on a show I like", which strikes me as a little silly for an ANN staffer to do, though I'd hope at least they'd never go through with something like that.

As for Fencedude, I don't know, that's up to him to decide if he'd get angry, but if it were me if I saw something I felt was inaccurate in a review I'd probably just do the normal thing and argue otherwise and explain why I'm doing so.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh no. I just barely survived the people bitching about Tenchi Muyo GXP week in, and week out (seriously, have these people heard of a remote, and hell, it was a decent animation)
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
roseversailles wrote:
As for another AoA title, I'd just about die from awesome if Toonami aired Madoka Magica. Good god that would be something!

Wouldn't ever happen. As big at title as Madoka Magica was, it was really only a crossover hit within anime fandom. It isn't a general crossover title, and it's definitely not aimed at Toonami's primary demographic.

I know the chances of it happening are incredibly slim to non-existent. Naked space hug on toonami? No way in hell. Not to mention the cutesy art style coupled with non-kid friendly plot...

Still, what a great show to bring in new fans. I can imagine it roping in new people, since the story is pretty effective and execution really sharp, once the ball gets rolling. I found it a lot more engrossing the SAO, to be honest. Then again, I can see why SAO is a safer bet, as it is more comfortable and probably appeals to a wider spectrum.

Here's to hoping toonami is able to get more current shows! For something older, I've always thought Martian Successor Nadesico would be a good fit~
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
For the record, I'm responding to this now because I simply didn't notice it earlier.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Key wrote:

Wasn't that the whole point of it being a game that could kill you?

Well yeah they play with that idea for a little bit but not much comes of it beyond that first quarter or so and again most people would agree the first quarter of that show despite being largely disjointed because of it's side story nature (Accel World did a lot better job in integrating it's side story arcs into the narrative to the point where I honestly didn't even know those episodes were side stories until somebody told me while I knew SAO's had to be nearly right away) is arguably the strongest part of the entire series before it becomes mostly about the romance between Kirito and Asuna (and later I guess Suguha) where I'm sure many people would agree YMMV.

Again, this generally wasn't the reaction I was seeing while the series was airing, unless you're referring only to the Fairy Dance arc. And a lot of people liked Kirito/Asuna romance even if they didn't necessarily like how it was written.

Quote:
By the time of the second half of the show the killing you aspect of the game seems to have gone the way of the dodo and the show becomes more about vaguely defined mind control conspiracies of ham-fisted villains.

Oh, come on. It went the way of the dodo because it was in an entirely different setting. It would have been horrible writing to reintroduce that concept again. Even so, there were some other dire consequences afoot.

Quote:
Key's comment just seemed like the sort of thing I'd expect to see from a butthurt fanboy on MAL or something basically saying, "Oh yeah well I'll write a shitty review of a show I clearly don't even like anyway just to spite you for sharing your critical thoughts on a show I like", which strikes me as a little silly for an ANN staffer to do, though I'd hope at least they'd never go through with something like that.

No, I've made it quite clear that I really do think Horizon is an awful mess of a series. I'm not so petty as to use an actual review just to vindictively trash a series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10