• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online to Air on Toonami Starting in August

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StormSky92

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for these releases!!!....so I can torrent them. I do that with every Aniplex release I want to see. They're the only company I torrent. I feel like it's my own personal "f*** you!" to there prices. I don't care if it's just one sale, because i'm sure i'm not the only one.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Aniplex. Now I appreciate Funimation and Sentai Filmworks that much more.

I can't justify a series costing 10 full priced videogames. That is 2 years worth of games for me. Not to mention next gen game consoles, PC upgrades and REASONABLY PRICED anime series, I have no patience for Aniplex. My Madoka Blurays are the last straw.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
vangelionite88 wrote:
why not.....FATE ZERO, or the fate stay knight series? both infinitely better than sao......

well, apparently Sentai wont play ball with Toonami, so FSN and UBW will never happen

really? well thats fine i suppose, the fate series would be better off on AS but them and toonami go hand in hand for the most part.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Why does everybody hate on SAO so much? I think the problem may be that it's a show that got too popular for it's own good. It couldn't live up to the enormous popularity and got the short end of the stick for it. I only watched it because my friend recommended it to me (not by people online, I wasn't even aware of it's popularity at the time), and I really enjoyed it all the way through. It was better than a lot of anime I've seen lately. But I guess the only thing that matters is that I enjoy it, right? It's my personal feelings about a show that ultimately matter in the long run.

I might buy this set, but those prices are really outrageous. Not just for a TV series, but for DVD/Blu-ray sets in general. I don't think I like any anime to pay that much for one. I'll think about it I guess.

Anyway, who else gets depressed at how little love is being shown for DVD users anymore? It's not like everybody has Blu-ray players now, it's not even close to being mainstream yet. So why limit all of your other customers by stripping down the DVD releases most of them will be buying? The only reason I can fathom is that they just hope people will make the switch to Blu-ray so they can get all of the extra goodies.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Why does everybody hate on SAO so much? I think the problem may be that it's a show that got too popular for it's own good. It couldn't live up to the enormous popularity and got the short end of the stick for it. I only watched it because my friend recommended it to me (not by people online, I wasn't even aware of it's popularity at the time), and I really enjoyed it all the way through. It was better than a lot of anime I've seen lately. But I guess the only thing that matters is that I enjoy it, right? It's my personal feelings about a show that ultimately matter in the long run.

I might buy this set, but those prices are really outrageous. Not just for a TV series, but for DVD/Blu-ray sets in general. I don't think I like any anime to pay that much for one. I'll think about it I guess.

Anyway, who else gets depressed at how little love is being shown for DVD users anymore? It's not like everybody has Blu-ray players now, it's not even close to being mainstream yet. So why limit all of your other customers by stripping down the DVD releases most of them will be buying? The only reason I can fathom is that they just hope people will make the switch to Blu-ray so they can get all of the extra goodies.

i'd suggest you visit the SAO thread in the anime discussion forum. you will quickly get an answer
gilnokoibito

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

Ikr?
I might be sort of a poor kid, but I don't own a PS3...or a standalone Blu-ray player...or even a HDTV! (Okay, I would have switched to an HDTV by now...but I live in a bad lightning zone and it likes to take out all our TVs regardless of how well we try to protect them...the last several years the only TVs we've bought we're from pawnshop or people selling off their old ones. No one wants to shell out $200+ for a TV to have it struck by lightning a few months later!) And lack of an HDTV is why I've never switched to Blu-ray. And back when I bought my laptop, I could of had a Blu-ray player installed in it, but it was already gonna be over $700...I did not feel like scraping up change to spring for the extra $45 the Blu-ray player would cost! Anime hyper

Although, all those goodies sure are tempting, the extra price for them (even more than me not having anything to play them in) is such a large turn off for me. I wouldn't mind paying a *tad* more for them though if they came with a DVD. I guess I'll just have to go through the short-lived cringing I'll have to do from not getting all those sweet extras.

Meh. I'll live.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
well, I for one have tried to watch SAO subtitled, but didn't make it past the 5min mark when I gave up trying to read. It's something I will never do again since I just can't keep up with subbed anime.

I'll be honest: I was hoping for Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean because both my boyfriend and I loved the first series. (In before haters: your opinions will not change my mind on AO Razz). But I can live with finally getting a chance to see SAO dubbed. So instead of listening to others criticize it and anime dubs in general. I shall watch this show with an open mind.
DarkPhoenixMishima

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
For SAO DVDs we're looking about about 6 episodes for $40.
Not terrible but it's still not good.
TypicalUsername

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
Thanks Aniplex. Now I appreciate Funimation and Sentai Filmworks that much more.

I can't justify a series costing 10 full priced videogames. That is 2 years worth of games for me. Not to mention next gen game consoles, PC upgrades and REASONABLY PRICED anime series, I have no patience for Aniplex. My Madoka Blurays are the last straw.

Good Lord, Anime Fans in the US are about like every other US citizen whiny and spoiled. How can you appreciate Sentai, who doesn't even give you an option about purchasing a BD release on some titles, and just don't offer it when most of the 1080 masters exist? However, just because AoA has a property that they want to make a decent margin to make it worth it to them. People hate on them. I prefer having options to not having options. With their price point they've decided to take less risk if a title fails. I see no problem with it.

Again, no matter what your opinion of SAO is, seeing CN invest in any show again, and not some crappy live action sketch comedy should be a joy. That any of you should welcome. I can't completely understand this opinion that it's a bad thing at all. I hate a lot of the sports Anime that's been released, and Toonami could put that on, it would be a positive for me.

As far as what they did with Durarara. Sure, it didn't work out as I would have hoped. However, I loved the series. I'm glad CN gave it a try. It would be a hard sell to the masses, and I knew that. When AoA put out a boxed set BD I bought it.

Those of you who are looking at it analytically, and while you may not like SAO, but are wishing it the best, Kudos to you. Let's have a beer sometime. Those of you wishing it ill, for the fact that you didn't like the series, well there's probably no pleasing you anyway.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll need to find an additional part time job that I can get a quick $ for these titles, and I can quit in 2 weeks.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
Glad to see more content for Toonami. This is probably the first show they're airing that I actually haven't seen. Though ironically I might end up being Japan when it starts airing...
Anyway, I also think that this will appeal to Toonami's demographic, however I also don't expect that same demographic to be paying AoA's prices for the show. Though perhaps if it does well ratings wise it will push for a lower priced release in the future.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
SAO appearing on Toonami? I feel like I should vomit, but I'm just laughing. The fans will enjoy it I suppose.

Glad to see Blue Exorcist will be released, but I'm not so glad that it's so pricey... oh well it's aniplex, whatcha gonna do?
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
Impressive that its being released on tv so close to the completion of the blu-ray releases in japan. I watched it back when it was airing (Marathoned it back in December) and i've been waiting for the blu-rays to rewatch it a second time.

Love this show tbh, mostly because the protagonist is a badass and he knows it from the beginning. Theres not enough shows like that.

Last edited by Tylerr on Sat May 25, 2013 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Clearly, you weren't around when "Hamtaro" aired.

True, but it was one of the small handful of shows that they have since admitted that the network execs "insisted" that they air.

Back on topic...
Like usual I'll just take a wait and see attitude on things. I haven't seen SAO at all, but if its coming to Toonami then I can wait. If I like it I'll keep watching, if I don't I'll change the channel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:37 am Reply with quote
First up: Y No Accel World? and Y No Baccano?
CCharmanderK wrote:
Sword Art Online on Toonami? I can get behind that.

Though I'd much prefer that it'd be Accel World. Maybe that'll be next?

Second up:
Relenus wrote:
Oh man, oh jeez. I can already smell the brewing shitstorm for when they get to the second half of the show.
FTR haven't seen the show b4 probably 1st timer on Toonami/AniplexChannel/Hulu. otherwise whatever.

Third up: After Adding Death Note on adult swim, No Blue Exorcist.
tuxedocat wrote:
I personally think that Blue Exorcist fits the Toonami model better.

The disc prices for SAO are not something the Toonami audience will pay for. Neither will I. Especially since I don't think the show is all that great.

Blue Exorcist: I guess I will have to wait and see what they will ask for it. It's being released in two sets, so I guess the pricing structure will be different. $120 to $200 per set is my guess.

Fourth and Fifth up:
Divineking wrote:
While SAO(much as I hate it now) is a good fit for Toonami what AoA's doing is pretty absurd. Not only is the Toonami airing likely to have no impact on the sales of the show whatsoever, but airing the show at the same time their starting the release also doesn't make any kind of sense since it's a conflict of interest for both parties.

I suppose I'll end up seeing the Toonami airing(at least up to ep 14 then I'm jumping ship) but this is still a pretty bizarre strategy. Shocked
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
I am conflicted.

I want Toonami to succeed, but not with a piece of shit like SAO. I only want to see SAO bomb completely.
Like Last Year I posted "this is why we need ANIMAX" yet still better off on Crackle than adult swim i respect your opinion though.

Sixth up : Stay Tuned.
HybridMedia wrote:
FINALLY, Blue Exorcist gets an DVD / Blu-ray release.....well, one with the English dub.

And as for SAO being on Toonami, I sorta expected that when people kept saying it on the internet. I may not like the show as much but who knows? The fandom might glue their eyes, that is, if they like the English dub, that is.....and that's the only reason why I'm gonna view it on there.

Seventh up :
Chagen46 wrote:
Uh...SAO, along with having awful writing, is far too entrenched in Otaku-Anime tropes to mesh with the fanbase of Toonami. Not sure this is a good idea.

Maybe it'll be a gateway to Otaku anime but that's unlikely.
Haven't understand that Toonami Base part it was conceiving.

Eighth up :
Sasukeuzi wrote:
o god im not happy about this. now SAO is gonna be more mainstream that it ever has been mainstream. if this becomes the new Naruto/Bleach i will just rage so hard that one of my favorite series is being watched by almost all the casuals.
(Likes the light novel series better and does agree the anime was a kind of bad adaptation btw)
I disagree with the mainstream topic. Hey it's not mainstream anymore.

Ninth up :
Divineking wrote:

We're talking about completely different audiences here though. The people who tune in for the late night airings in Japan are the crowd who are likely to buy the DVD/BD's. Not even 0.2% of Toonami's regular audience is likely to buy anime at normal prices and they sure as heck won't be buying them at Aniplex's. Not to mention most of the Toonami audience wouldn't even know WHERE to get the release since AoA limits themselves to just their own site and RightStuf.

The show will(sadly) probably get ratings and get exposure, but from a sales perspective unless AoA changes their plans for the release dramatically this makes no sense.
I cringed the whole reason the irony and the collection DVD/BD is affecting more losses.

Tenth up:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Uh...SAO, along with having awful writing, is far too entrenched in Otaku-Anime tropes to mesh with the fanbase of Toonami. Not sure this is a good idea.

Maybe it'll be a gateway to Otaku anime but that's unlikely.

Swinnami has played Code Geass before, and they just finished Tenchi GXP.
also Durarara before the Toonami Launch on adult swim

Eleventh up:
StrawHat313 wrote:
I so knew this was gonna happen lol. I don't know why but SAO just screams that the west will like it so Toonami would want to pick it up. Good thing to because i've only seen 3 episodes and would like to catch up.

I can't even think of any other shows Toonami needs except Beelzebub (in which if it was shown on Toonami they hopefully go with giving Beel a diaper because people probably wouldn't take seeing him naked kindly). My friend personally wants Hajime no Ippo on Toonami but i'm not sure about that.

Either way great job Toonami, your really catching up now.
what's next Hunter x Hunter and Zatch Bell?

Twelfth up:
TypicalUsername wrote:
First, Thank God for a BD release of Blue Exorcist. I loved that series and can't stand it in a 480 res.
Second, unless there are tons of trolls out, I completely understand a Japanese Anime companies perspectives with this many attitudes from NA. I'm in full support of AoA with their price point. Because, when I hear comments like, "I'll settle for a 50% off DVD release" it completely validates their sales goals.
There is no reason with the proliferation of 48" or larger HDTV in NA, for anyone to settle for a 480 res product. I can't fully understand my fellow Anime watchers attitude in that regard.
Third, why would you hate on ANYTHING being imported to Toonami? Let's count how many series that have been placed on American television over the past 4 years. I can only think of 2. You could take the crappiest Anime available and stick it on American TV and it's a positive in my book.
Kudos to AoA. I'll start saving my pennies now for it!
this takes the cake! Stay Gold! Yeah (: btw CN AS broadcast both SD/HD I guess the lulz have been stopped!
Thirteenth up:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

I doubt the people who watch Family Guy and American Dad will have any problem with the sis-con stuff, which is the biggest otaku element. On the whole it's a straightforward action show that should appeal to anyone who's played an MMORPG -- which I'm guessing is 90% of people watching Adult Swim/Toonami.
and that said where's RAGNAROK the Animation at?
Fourteenth up:
barrelroller wrote:
Jesus, with all the new shows on Toonami I think it's impossible for me to stay up to watch all of them. They really need to rip The Boondocks from the 11 PM timeslot. I mean they just got Soul Eater like 2 months ago and it's already been bumped to a 1:30 AM timeslot.

I can only imagine it being:
Bleach
Ancient Naruto (lol)
SAO
One Piece
Soul Eater
(insert shows that are on absurdly late here)

Also, I think Blue Exorcist would be a much better fit for Adult Swim. But I've purposely been ignoring SAO due to it's odd popularity of being loved/hated at the same time. Guess I'll give it go.
More like replace the boondocks with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood then replace Inuyasha with Inuyasha The Final ACT!

Fifteenth up:
Kougeru wrote:
This fits perfectly since CN anime (fake Toonami to me, still) is all about action. The prices are still far too crazy for the average American fan
lolwut *saying bad words*
Sixteenth up:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Wouldn't an anime series becoming "mainstream" be a good thing?

Although I'm not sure a 26-episode show can achieve that fleet. It can gain a following, yes, but it's rare for a show that short to get popular on Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Bleach, and Naruto levels. The closest is probably Cowboy Bebop.

As for Aniplex's DVDs/Blu-rays... I'll see if I can rig one of my players to play the UK or Australian releases. Like hell I'm paying those prices. Why can't Aniplex's releases cost the same as their Baccano Blu-ray set (26 episodes for $50)?
Exactly and $60.
Seventeenth up: This is missing the point.
Lynx Amali wrote:
OK. I get airing it on Toonami/CN. But....
Adult Swim? Isn't that like, missing the show's target by a large margin?

Quote:
Each Blu-ray Box will retail for US$112.98 but will have a store price of US$89.98. Each DVD set will retail for US$49.98 but will have a store price of US$39.98.

Razz
It's really hilarious when I can get a DVD/Blu-Ray combo from Funi for the cost of a base DVD from Ani.

I can't wait to see how good these bonus features are.

I like Aincrad so I just might buy the BD's for that and just jump ship to DVD for the rest because Fairy Dance isn't worth that much. AT ALL.

Eighteenth up:
getchman wrote:
vangelionite88 wrote:
why not.....FATE ZERO, or the fate stay knight series? both infinitely better than sao......

well, apparently Sentai wont play ball with Toonami, so FSN and UBW will never happen
Fate/zero Aniplex and Fate/stay night & Unlimited Blade Works Sentai Filmworks.
Let's go with Fate/Zero thnx.
Nineteenth up:
Shippoyasha wrote:

I Appreciated that kind of support but for Aniplex however continue doing expensive prices two words Right Stuf!

Twentieth up:
Jayhosh wrote:

IDK either.

and finally Twentyfirst up:
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
well, I for one have tried to watch SAO subtitled, but didn't make it past the 5min mark when I gave up trying to read. It's something I will never do again since I just can't keep up with subbed anime.

I'll be honest: I was hoping for Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean because both my boyfriend and I loved the first series. (In before haters: your opinions will not change my mind on AO Razz). But I can live with finally getting a chance to see SAO dubbed. So instead of listening to others criticize it and anime dubs in general. I shall watch this show with an open mind.
C'mon Eureka 7 AO and OPEN YOUR MINDS!

I'm done
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:34 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
I'm sure the demographic expecting an epic gaming series will love the generic romance plot that takes up most of the show.

This is exactly what I meant. Toonami appeals to dudebro types who only like mindless action; much like most of modern society, they abhor thinking.

Now, while SAO requires almost no thought to watch (given that you'd have to be braindead not to notice the immense writing and characterization flaws in it), the emphasis on the (bad) romance will turn off the viewers. The fact that said romance is badly written, rushed, awkward, and hilariously unrealistic is worse.

Wow what a horrid generalization. Not to mention "hilariously unrealistic". It's fiction genius, it's already separated itself from the notions of being realistic. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10