• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Sentai in Talks Over Former Bandai Entertainment Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's evenly divided between the two companies since I actually like both, I just hope this means we'll get more then just Gundam UC. also I hope one of the two companies decide to pick up the brave saga titles
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Is it just me or is this news title misleading?
From what I gather, this news is simply that FUNimation and Sentai are in talks to license Sunrise titles that were formally licensed by Bandai Entertainment.
So that's stuff like the Gundam series, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, My Hime, My Otome, Kurokami... just to name a few.

So...I'm not quite sure why people are mentioning stuff like K-ON, Haruhi, Lucky Star etc, since they are from completely different companies.
Pretty much this.
Quote:
Ozaki noted that Sunrise will release some of its series through distributors such as these.
Unless it's one of these shows in the bottom of this post, it's not included in this.
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?21959-Sunrise-in-talks-with-FUNimation-amp-Sentai-Filmworks-over-distribution-on-former-Bandai-Ent-titles&p=183273&viewfull=1#post183273

Anyway, this is a very nice thing to see. Maybe some of these will see BD re-releases. I could really get behind an Escaflowne BD (Despite the fact I'll still import the JP BD at some point as it's my favorite anime by far).

It will be interesting to see what these releases are like, and who will get what titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:

G-Gundam Streamed the whole series years ago. I'd mark out if it got rescued!
Galaxy Angel series (MUCH needed anime to be released in US again) Watched the first series but never finished it. I don't recall actually laughing at the jokes. I'm not saying Galaxy Angel's bad; I'm pretty neutral about it. What's the appeal?
My-Hime series (as well as My-Otome It's got its fans.
Please Teacher and Please Twins In hindsight, I actually wanted to punch the protagonists over all those misunderstandings. Why are Kei and Maiku such wimpy AFC beta males? Jesus Christ, Japan! Grow a pair!
s-CRY-ed YES! My only issue with it is the character designs. Hisashi Hirai peaked with Dancougar; where the hell did he go wrong? We need a shot-for-shot remake with the same English dub cast and Hirai better step his game up and go back to what made his artwork good or we get a new character designer.
Sola Yawn!
Stratos 4 Bigger yawn!
Wolf's Rain KIBA 3:16 SAYS I JUST BIT YOUR ASS!
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'd kind of like to hear the Funimation talent pool to do some Gundam dubs. Haven't you ever wanted to hear Chuck Huber use the term "Minovsky Particles" or Monica Rial express "Purupurupurupuru!"? They can't do any worse than Blue Water.

you're insane =p

Monica as puru ugh, then Judau would be voice by Todd, then Haman would be Colleen huh. no Funi gundam dubs for me thanks they should stick to the Dubs their known and good at doing the popular, fan-service-y, comedy shows. Hearing Funi voices in Gundam would just be wrong, almost 20 years of gundam in the west and never once has there been a Gundam dubbed by Funi lets not go break tradition Wink . We all know Brad Swaile needs to voice the main character again with Gundam =p.

Side Note: the Gundam Blue Water dubs were fine.

Last edited by The American Average on Mon May 27, 2013 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I'd kind of like to hear the Funimation talent pool to do some Gundam dubs. Haven't you ever wanted to hear Chuck Huber use the term "Minovsky Particles" or Monica Rial express "Purupurupurupuru!"? They can't do any worse than Blue Water.

you're insane =p

Monica as puru ugh, then Judau would be voice by Todd, then Haman would be Colleen huh. no Funi gundam dubs for me thanks they should stick to the Dubs their known and good at doing the popular, fan-service-y, comedy shows. after all hearing Funi voices in Gundam would just be wrong. We all know Brad Swaile needs to voice the main character again with Gundam =p.

Side Note the Gundam, Blue water dubs was fine.
He's an idiot Funimation fanboy who doesn't realize bias doesn't belong in the anime fandom.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I respectfully disagree. I think Blue Water is one of the worst dub studios. Their Zeta Gundam dub was a disaster. The VAs sounded so wooden and awkward. And their G Gundam dub wasn't great, either.

As for Brad Swaile, while his Amuro and Quatre were great, his Setsuna was terrible. But in his defense, he was miscast, because they thought he could do the role simply on the basis of having played a Miyano character before.

I'd much rather hear a Funimation cast for Gundam than something as bad as the past few Canadian dubs for that franchise. The only good dub to come out of Gundam in years is NYAV's Gundam Unicorn dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Nichijou, just Nichijou. Don't bother with the dub either, it won't synch well with the animation. Just the bring the damn thing over, and I'll be happy!
taco123

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
So if FUNimation grabs any Bandai titles, do they also get to keep the dubs that were done a long time ago with them? Or does FUNimation need to redub the series? For instance, Zeta Gundam had an English dub that was not too well received. In my opinion, it's alright, but the boxsets to get that dub is like hundreds of dollars. It would be cool if FUNi re-released them.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The series would almost certainly retain the original dub.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Like everyone else, I'd love to see Funimation pick up Cowboy Bebop and give us a Blu-Ray release (which, incidentally, would coincide perfectly with the UK release). I'd also love a Wolf's Rain Blu-Ray release, which works great since the audio was already a 5.1 setup.

Just....just please don't let these go to Sentai...!
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I respectfully disagree. I think Blue Water is one of the worst dub studios. Their Zeta Gundam dub was a disaster. The VAs sounded so wooden and awkward. And their G Gundam dub wasn't great, either.

As for Brad Swaile, while his Amuro and Quatre were great, his Setsuna was terrible. But in his defense, he was miscast, because they thought he could do the role simply on the basis of having played a Miyano character before.

I'd much rather hear a Funimation cast for Gundam than something as bad as the past few Canadian dubs for that franchise. The only good dub to come out of Gundam in years is NYAV's Gundam Unicorn dub.

The Blue Water Zeta dub was Fine. yes some Character voices were stale and Wooden but to this day the English voice of Paptimus Scirocco is still much better the His Japanese counterpart. G gundam even in Japanese it was Cheesy so that Gundam isn't fair to judge the voice acting.

Brad Swaile was fine as Setsuna, however I still think Brad should have voiced Ribbons Almark cause in Japanese in the Voice actor was Also the Original Amuro Ray that would have been awesome.

With Funimation Voicing Gundam I'd rather not. I hear them in like every dub i buy I kind of Tired of hearing the Voice actors in the same style of roles. I want to hear some variety in my dubs and Funimation rarely changes up their cast line up and if Funi starts to move in Gundam it'll be stale real quick . Yes the Ocean Group does the same thing with their Gundam Dubs, Kirby Marrow and Brad Swaile will be main characters but at least when they get their characters the Character types is completely different. Brad Swaile, Amuro,Quatre, Setsuna, Dearka they are all completely different styles of characters. Unicorn Dub is awesome i'll definitely give you that.

And YES Nichijou needs to be state side it practically begs for it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Meh. I can't think of any title that Sunrise had Bandai distribute that makes this any big deal to me. Anyone got a proper Sunrise/Bandai list?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Funimation has screwed up far too many releases over the years to easily trust them with anything, so I'm hoping they don't get too many of the shows I would purchase or upgrade to bluray. But I guess as long as the shows come over and get a competent release, that it doesn't matter too much. At least I won't have to worry about them butchering the dub, as Sunrise owns those as well.

I guess time will tell what will happen.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:

the English voice of Paptimus Scirocco is still much better the His Japanese counterpart.

Stopped reading here. Opinions invalidated. Evil or Very Mad

If Bin Shimada was any more awesome, he'd be Norio Wakamoto.

The Zeta dub was an abomination. It butchered my favorite mecha anime. One of several flaws in Bandai's NA release.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
Funimation has screwed up far too many releases over the years to easily trust them with anything

This isn't 1999. Funimation usually does quite well these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ahiru

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Meh. I can't think of any title that Sunrise had Bandai distribute that makes this any big deal to me. Anyone got a proper Sunrise/Bandai list?

ShanaFan852 wrote:

Quote:
Ozaki noted that Sunrise will release some of its series through distributors such as these.

Unless it's one of these shows in the bottom of this post, it's not included in this.
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?21959-Sunrise-in-talks-with-FUNimation-amp-Sentai-Filmworks-over-distribution-on-former-Bandai-Ent-titles&p=183273&viewfull=1#post183273

Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8