• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Time of Eve Film Blu-ray Reaches English Dub Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niyari

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
excellent news. this amazing movie deserves to be more widespread
mehh

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:42 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
You know, I was considering getting the import of Eve no Jinkan/Time of Eve, but both of my anime-aficionado friends thought it was just alright. Granted, they watched it in the ova format rather than the version where it was cut into a film, but I wouldn't think it would make that huge of a difference. I'm a little iffy on whether I should get this now. Regardless, I'm glad it met its goal.

I wouldn't use the words 'cut into film'. Since this was a short ONA series, about 110 minutes in length and the movie is 105 minutes in length, rather than the movie being a stripped version of the ONA series, it's a compilation of all ONAs with a few scenes changed/added/removed to make it flow better and add details. Some prefer the ONAs because they feel it represents the story better, while others prefer the Movie for the same reason and bonus of the added scenes, especially the new ending.

There isn't any guarantee that you'll be able to get this after the kickstarter, since they're releasing it themselves, and not getting it licenced. I put in the pledge because I wanted to support them, and because of the reason above. It's a great movie, you should seriously think about it Very Happy
If you're not sure whether you'll like it, download it and see for yourself first.

Last edited by mehh on Sun May 26, 2013 7:56 am; edited 2 times in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
Awesome, glad it made the dub goal I didn't realize they had, like you said I guess there's probably no guarantee of getting this any other way, and I think I want to support them for offering the unexpected, awesome dub stretch goal (even more-so since they're doing this somewhat independently it seems) in addition to what sounds like a very good movie version of this from what most have said over time since this came out.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
I'm glad this is going well for them. I really hope more studios get in on stuff like this for moderately older titles (I'm thinking like 2000s and later) that have a large fanbase, but not one big enough or loud enough get a US company interested.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I'm glad this is going well for them. I really hope more studios get in on stuff like this for moderately older titles (I'm thinking like 2000s and later) that have a large fanbase, but not one big enough or loud enough get a US company interested.

Using Kickstarter to license older titles seems like a doable thing with this example of Time of Eve. I also have been thinking that Kickstarter can also be used to finance dubs. I think a series like Toradora! is a great candidate. It is a well done series that could be very appealing to more people with a good dub. I am thinking $250,000 should do it; it would be a high but doable goal.
nokishoff

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this does well for them and then maybe they will consider doing it for Pale Cocoon as well.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Congratulations! I feel happy that the fans were able to reach the original and stretch goals. At the same time I feel bad for Anime Sols. Creamy Mami was supposed to be a sure thing, but it has only reached $3,575 out of its $19,000 goal. Ouch.

Why ouch? With new episodes out every week for each series, and a new episode of some sort out daily, you surely wouldn't be expecting it to follow the funding pattern of a Kickstarter?

For all we know, 17% funded by the end of the first week could be an indicator of an AnimeSols that is well on its way to funding.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Why ouch? With new episodes out every week for each series, and a new episode of some sort out daily, you surely wouldn't be expecting it to follow the funding pattern of a Kickstarter?

For all we know, 17% funded by the end of the first week could be an indicator of an AnimeSols that is well on its way to funding.

If it raises $1000 per week from now until the end of its stated fundraising cycle it'll fail.

Being blindly optimistic about that site is not going to help it. If you want to see those shows funded you better start evangelizing.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:13 am Reply with quote
I like the six ONAs I saw on Crunchyroll, but the movie doesn't sound significantly different. Does it even have new footage, or just a new scene or two?

I'd love to see anime get funding and dubs through Kickstarter. Classic manga besides Tezuka would be a good candidate, too.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Hellfish wrote:
kickstarter proyects have the advantage of being able to receive funding outside the U.S. Sure we have to pay higher shipping prices but we can just pledge a buck and keep on with the updates to decide if we should give more. While anime sols depend on a very small and dwindling part of fandom who may not even know about the site.

While they can take pledges from anywhere, Kickstarter is limited to the US and UK for creators. If they're foreign, they need someone local to act as proxies:
http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/creator%20questions#WhoIsEligToStarAKickProj
Quote:

—You are a permanent US resident with a Social Security Number (or EIN).
—You have a US address, US bank account, and US state-issued ID (driver’s license).
—You have a major US credit or debit card.

I know that, yet that wasn't my point. Sure is another problem on it own (but many have gone to make their funding projects in site like indiegogo for example) but I was talking about people who can fund the project not about creators. Kickstarters has a bigger people of people who can put money on a project or preorder stuff like in this case, Anime sols depends on it's entirely of people who want to see the series on a single country. and that gives kickstarter projects an advantage Anime Sols doesn't have, that is all.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
This movie was really great. I hope the English cast doesn't disappoint.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Time of EVE wrote:
Thanks to the amazing fans backing this project, Time of EVE will have an entirely new dimension through English-language performance. We envision this dub as a creative endeavor all its own. For us, it is an opportunity to make new discoveries about each character and the world they share through Time of EVE. And we know just the studio that can take us there. We will make an announcement shortly. We can't wait to share the news with you!!!!

What studio would that be, I wonder? Ocean? Bang/Zoom? NYAV? Or heck, maybe they'll even sub it out to FUNimation or Seraphim Digital?

Whoever it is, the film crew really seem to be confident about their work. It'll be interesting to see who they end up using.

Let's just hope it's not Blue Water. Mad
configspace

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And thank you everyone for sharing your ideas for this project! We are working hard on putting together the next stretch goal, but it requires pricing things out, and making sure we have all the permissions and rights in order.

I wonder if this means they are looking at Pale Cocoon, Mizu no Kotoba, or the soundtrack next.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I like the six ONAs I saw on Crunchyroll, but the movie doesn't sound significantly different. Does it even have new footage, or just a new scene or two?

The Kickstarter page itself sums it up pretty nicely, I think:

"How is the movie different from the 6 episodes?

The movie connects the 6 episodes with new scenes, and includes a new beginning and ending. The response that we've gotten is that the movie is a substantially different experience from watching the 6 episodes. The movie takes you outside of the Time of EVE cafe into the world of the Ethics Committee, and reveals more of the backstory of the characters. Plus, there is a new ending song by no less than Kalafina, which has been a very exciting collaboration for this project. As Akiko would put it, the movie and the 6 episodes "look the same, but in inside they are completely different.""
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Time of EVE wrote:
Thanks to the amazing fans backing this project, Time of EVE will have an entirely new dimension through English-language performance. We envision this dub as a creative endeavor all its own. For us, it is an opportunity to make new discoveries about each character and the world they share through Time of EVE. And we know just the studio that can take us there. We will make an announcement shortly. We can't wait to share the news with you!!!!

What studio would that be, I wonder? Ocean? Bang/Zoom? NYAV? Or heck, maybe they'll even sub it out to FUNimation or Seraphim Digital?

Whoever it is, the film crew really seem to be confident about their work. It'll be interesting to see who they end up using.

I'd love for it to be Ocean, because of the quality of their recent work and the future dearth thereof due to Bandai Entertainment's closure.

Logistically, though, I'd expect it to be either Bang Zoom or NYAV Post.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3