Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks Panel


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8036
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
the fact that Sentai continues to put out more titles than any other R1 distrib is at least suggestive of the fact that you are under-estimating the appeal of titles you don't personally like


Wow, the interesting marketing strategy of licensing every piece of crap you can get your hands on and hoping to get buyers based on sheer volume of titles.

That worked so well for ADV.

A Japanese salaryman could sneeze and Sentai Filmworks will license the mucus. And you'd probably buy it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started itHe started it


Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 8864
Location: Bedford, NH
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
what exactly should Funimation follow? licensing half a season works for Sentai because the are much smaller and that means they don't need to sell nearly as much to make a profit. Funimation has around 250 people so they need to sell a hell of a lot more than Sentai does. I dont know what Viz does, but I believe that the business strategies that all three have work just fine for them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Blood-
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20760
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
Well, at least the mucous would be more intelligent and less repulsive than you are.

So again, what are you basing your assumption that Sentai's titles are of interest to only "statistical anomolies?" Don't worry, I know you can't back the assertion up, I just want to highlight what a troll you are.

Oh and your reference to ADV shows that you have zero understanding of what really went wrong there and how differently Sentai is operating in comparison. What a shock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8036
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I'm a troll. I signed up 9 years ago and have been trolling the entire time. You caught me. Those reviews I did for this site? Also trolls. It can't possibly be because I disagree with you. Must be a troll.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20760
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
What the hell does the length of time as a registered poster have to do with trollness? Being a troll is when you deliberately post antagonizing commentary with the full knowledge it will provoke a negative reaction in other posters. I.e. your constant and juvenile comments about moe fans jacking off to their figures. Or the patronizing way you dismiss the appeal of certain Sentai titles simply because you personally don't like them. You don't have a shred of evidence to support your claim they are of marginal interest to NA anime fans - but it's not your intent to have an intelligent conversation, anyway. You simply want to spew your trolling garbage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
bs3311



Joined: 07 Nov 2011
Posts: 416
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm a troll. I signed up 9 years ago and have been trolling the entire time. You caught me. Those reviews I did for this site? Also trolls. It can't possibly be because I disagree with you. Must be a troll.


I was going to back you up until blood- made a decent point. So I find it understandably my fault starting this with a my sarcastic comment assuming you would reply with another sarcastic comment but now you decided to type seriously. Which I'm doing right now so how does it feel?

Which makes me question if you have asperger syndrome like myself.

But shaking that off my mind. 9 years of a handful of reviews, way to go. I worked 12 years on getting my Eagle Scout Rank and I don't feel any superior, wiser but not superior. No one is untouchable, and quit tweeting about how you consider people to be "F***ing Whak" for accusing you of this when you know your comments are going to cause backlash due to how negative they are. But this would not have happend if you just typed further down with your comment saying like, "hope I don't offend", "IMHO", "sorry if it offends other peoples opinion".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8036
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
What the hell does the length of time as a registered poster have to do with trollness? Being a troll is when you deliberately post antagonizing commentary with the full knowledge it will provoke a negative reaction in other posters. I.e. your constant and juvenile comments about moe fans jacking off to their figures. Or the patronizing way you dismiss the appeal of certain Sentai titles simply because you personally don't like them. You don't have a shred of evidence to support your claim they are of marginal interest to NA anime fans - but it's not your intent to have an intelligent conversation, anyway. You simply want to spew your trolling garbage.


Well, first of all, stay on topic. We'll discuss [we're not going there. Keep it civil].

Second, I'm not dismissing titles I just dislike. I'm dismissing titles that I've barely even heard of and have heard and read almost no buzz about anywhere in the fan community. And a lot of these titles appear to be bare minimum, cookie-cutter "Anime: The Anime" titles, a lot of generic harem, slice of life, moe shows and oversexed sci-fi action shows that ape more significant titles.

You think I like every show that's popular? I have zero interest in Hetelia, but Funimation made the right choice to license a show that has legions of fans. I actively despise several titles Funimation has licensed, but I can recognize their popularity. I don't recall the last Majikoi ~ Oh! Samurai Girls! convention panel or Shin Koihime Muso thread on a message board. Point to me the fan community for shows like this.

Sentai doesn't have to license every little, obscure show they can get ahold of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 6773
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Sentai doesn't have to license every little, obscure show they can get ahold of.

But, who knows? Some of those obscure shows that Sentai picked up might have some folks out there that might be interested in trying them out. I don't think they would've licensed those lesser-known shows if they didn't think there would be a market for them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2520
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Sentai doesn't have to license every little, obscure show they can get ahold of.

But, who knows? Some of those obscure shows that Sentai picked up might have some folks out there that might be interested in trying them out. I don't think they would've licensed those lesser-known shows if they didn't think there would be a market for them.


I honestly don't understand why anyone cares what they pick up. Even if the title isn't hugely popular, if they pay next to nothing for it (as they have for many of their subonly titles) then they aren't risking much by picking it up.

Not to mention, people are still ignoring the fact that titles aren't interchangeable. Just because they picked up one title doesn't automatically mean they aren't going to pick up something else. A lot of these titles are bundle deals and if Sentai wants something like Clannad or After Story, they may have to take Princess Resurrection to get it.

Sentai is acquiring about a dozen titles for the same price that each one ADV acquired during its height, and a lot aren't getting dubbed. They sell off the digital rights for many of them to CR and TAN, so they don't need very high sales to break even.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20760
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Second, I'm not dismissing titles I just dislike. I'm dismissing titles that I've barely even heard of and have heard and read almost no buzz about anywhere in the fan community. And a lot of these titles appear to be bare minimum, cookie-cutter "Anime: The Anime" titles, a lot of generic harem, slice of life, moe shows and oversexed sci-fi action shows that ape more significant titles.

You think I like every show that's popular? I have zero interest in Hetelia, but Funimation made the right choice to license a show that has legions of fans. I actively despise several titles Funimation has licensed, but I can recognize their popularity. I don't recall the last Majikoi ~ Oh! Samurai Girls! convention panel or Shin Koihime Muso thread on a message board. Point to me the fan community for shows like this.

Sentai doesn't have to license every little, obscure show they can get ahold of.


First of all, it should be obvious to anyone who isn't a complete moron that there is no automatic connection between "Internet buzz" and profitability of a specific title. Just because certain shows "appear" to be something to you - a person who doesn't watch them anyway - or don't get Internet awareness that you perceive doesn't mean that Sentai isn't making a profit off them. You aren't doing your usual whining because you give a flying toss whether Sentai is making a profit or not - you're whining because - I guess - Sentai isn't supplying the type of show that moistens your panties.

So if you want to say, "Bleh, I don't like Sentai's titles." Fair enough. That's your personal, useless opinion. But as soon as you start suggesting that Sentai's business model isn't working, or that some of their titles are being purchased by only a handful of "statisical anomalies", then it behooves you to show some proof. Which, of course, you don't have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
bs3311



Joined: 07 Nov 2011
Posts: 416
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm dismissing titles that I've barely even heard of and have heard and read almost no buzz about anywhere in the fan community. And a lot of these titles appear to be bare minimum, cookie-cutter "Anime: The Anime" titles, a lot of generic harem, slice of life, moe shows and oversexed sci-fi action shows that ape more significant titles.


That may be a good point, but just because a show is extremely popular. Or has mass apeal, does not make it good or worth a watch

The cookie-cutter anime might actually be those popluar shows but everyone is stuck up the shows bum to see that and probably like the show but accept its flaws.

oversexed: H.O.T.D, Highschool DxD,
sci-fi: Kenshi Muyo! War on Geminar
action: Sword Art Online
dystopia: Psycho Pass
Moe: K-On!, Lucky Star
Slice of Life: Bamboo Blade
Comedy: Heavens Lost Property (though it was my guilty pleasure Embarassed)
Drama: Clannad (first season, first half of second season)
etc.

I'm not saying people can't like or watch something popular. I like Fullmetal Alchemist, NGE, Psycho Pass(except for the main annoying female character Evil or Very Mad), K-On! (YEAH what? Cool ), Inuyasha, etc. But if someone trys to use the popularity of a title to bash other series, then that basically means the only good thing about it is that everyone watches it so you have to watch it to and ignore that title. Then basically they have nothing to back up why they like it, only so that watching a popular title somehow turns you from a Shinji Ikari to Guts.

You should have a clear mind when choosing titles instead of following mass apeal, I found that out the hard way when checking bacanno after hearing people left and right talking about it only to find that it was comeplete garbage with boring twisted plot and not very in depth characters with shitty mix of immortality and crime families. With the only redemable thing being Lad Russo.

Then I decided to try Kara no Kyoukai WITHOUT looking at its fans and thought, ("good music, strange characters, strange plot, and very well animated. Well, I don't see the fans flooding the forums or my youtube page telling me its phenomenal like bacanno. So lets try it. Hell, I liked Fate/Zero so why not?") And I found to like it. This also happend with From the New World after thinking about trying it like trying out a

Now with the attack on titan hype, I found it to be interesting and AWESOME but the hype from the mass apeal droped it a bit after episode 8. And after reading some of the manga, I think its going to drop more.

Now I think I understand what your from. You want Sentai to at least survive, not burn in the dust thinking that it will end up like ADV did. But Dragonrider_cody explained all the problem very clearly that those are comepletely different ends that happened or may happen differently. Sure you check out online to see people typing about it, but you should try to watch them yourself. I say YOUR mind is the better observer than other peoples observative perspective.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mesonoxian Eve



Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Posts: 1858
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Heh. I remember just last year people were concerned that Sentai was throwing tons of releases into the market. Looks like the strategy is paying off.

Staying on topic, I'm a little disappointed no one questioned Sentai's habitual quality control failure in the subtitling category, ie, are they going to boost the improvement in looking for spelling mistakes?

I'm not expecting 100% quality checks, but when the issue covers multiple distributed titles, one should have asked the question.

PS: Put me down as one who bought and enjoyed Blue Drop. Even if it's subtitled only, I'd buy it on bluray.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2520
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:


PS: Put me down as one who bought and enjoyed Blue Drop. Even if it's subtitled only, I'd buy it on bluray.


I doubt they would strip the dub off of the any potential bluray release, especially as they don't do sub-only blurays. But I would also rebuy it on bluray, even though I have both DVD sets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bs3311



Joined: 07 Nov 2011
Posts: 416
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
@Mesonoxian Eve

I agree as well Anime hyper

Quote:
Staying on topic, I'm a little disappointed no one questioned Sentai's habitual quality control failure in the subtitling category, ie, are they going to boost the improvement in looking for spelling mistakes?

I'm not expecting 100% quality checks, but when the issue covers multiple distributed titles, one should have asked the question.


Same here. According to Dave, they are growing but the comparision of growing to much must be back during ADV and not whats happening recently. I heard rumors and pics on facebook at sentai's profile that they have a special prototype packaging in the works to be announced in 2013 which is getting me excited. BUT! I hope this means there working on QC as well as packaging. I assume it to be for the Garden of Words.

And hi DRC! (dragonrider_cody) Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbZeroNow



Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 519
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:


You think I like every show that's popular? I have zero interest in Hetelia, but Funimation made the right choice to license a show that has legions of fans. I actively despise several titles Funimation has licensed, but I can recognize their popularity. I don't recall the last Majikoi ~ Oh! Samurai Girls! convention panel or Shin Koihime Muso thread on a message board. Point to me the fan community for shows like this.

Sentai doesn't have to license every little, obscure show they can get ahold of.


Yeah, and I don't recall any Maken-ki! panels or OniAi panels either. (Both titles that Funi got at least streaming rights for).

And FYI, I attended a rather popular panel on Clannad at Anime Boston, and I went to an AKB0048 panel. I'm pretty sure High School of the Dead has gotten panels in the past and I've seen my fair share of High School of the Dead cosplayers. Another is also very popular and has a ton of cosplayers. And The World God Only Knows has a lot of fans(my OVA suggestion got a lot of applause).

I'll also mention that apparently Kill Me Baby is better liked than we thought by the applause it got when DLW mentioned it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group