Forum - View topic
INTEREST: KyoAni's Free! Swimming Anime Already Has Its Own Dōjinshi Event


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
grooven



Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 1392
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
LMFAO Anime hyper of course!!!! It had so much fan art from a trailer Anime hyper

Also I can't stand how some fans treat BL fans or Fujoshi's as if they count as nothing. They are fans too! Is it because guys are that insecure about sexuality that it is fair for them to pair females off all the time? I don't get it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zac
Subscriber
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7912
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Zac wrote:
Why are you so dedicated to handwaving/downplaying/dismissing the moderate buying power of the fujoshi market? You're single-mindedly focused on making sure everyone knows this isn't a big deal, women don't buy things like otaku do, blah blah blah.

We get your point: the otaku market is bigger. Why do you feel the need to restate that again and again and again, to the irritation of everyone, while making yourself look like you have an honest-to-god dislike or even fear of female anime fans? Why do you need to constantly try and position yourself and the community you identify with as superior to them?


Stating facts is handwaving now? I'm merely replying/correcting certain people about things. I wasn't even the first person to do so, either, just adding on to other's discussions.


You quoted the whole thing but only replied to the first part. Answer the rest of those questions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Thatguy3331



Joined: 18 Feb 2012
Posts: 1685
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
Well, that was fast... they really plan to make this the female's K-on do they? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5088
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I believe that is called cherry picking. You use UtaPri because it's the best selling "fujoshi" anime, which averaged out to 17,868 sales per volume, yet are using a "mid success" otaku series like Girls un Panzer which averaged out to 32,467 per volume anime (still almost double). Best for best would pit it against series that have sold over 70K and 100K. A better comparison and grasp of the market would be to compare how big is the gap between UtaPri and the next series. Which is quite a lot. I don't see any problem with saying fujoshi shows do not sell as well as otaku shows.


This is appallingly intellectually dishonest, even for you.

Garupan is not a "mid success" by any stretch of the imagination, and to claim it is basically demonstrates you have no desire to argue your point with a modicum of integrity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4036
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You quoted the whole thing but only replied to the first part. Answer the rest of those questions.


What, about disliking female anime fans? Of course not, most of the people I discuss anime with are female so that'd be a bit weird. And I don't see what I said makes me think I'm "better than them", nor what community I am apparently identifying myself with to claim superiority. Definitely not the GUP fans if that's what you mean, I didn't care for that show.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Garupan is not a "mid success" by any stretch of the imagination, and to claim it is basically demonstrates you have no desire to argue your point with a modicum of integrity.


Or it means people just have different definitions of "mid success". To me, 10K-20K is a low success, 20-30 is mid, and the 40+ range is the big success tier. In that regard, no, Girls und Panzer doesn't touch top-tier sellers like Code Geass, Fate/Zero, Dragonball GT, Gundam Seed, Bakemonogatari, and various others. You'll have to forgive me for not considering GUP one of the best selling shows ever when we see tons of anime sell far more; especially since it came out in the same year as Nisemonogatari and Fate/Zero 2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phoenixalia



Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Posts: 1408
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:


Or it means people just have different definitions of "mid success". To me, 10K-20K is a low success, 20-30 is mid, and the 40+ range is the big success tier. In that regard, no, Girls und Panzer doesn't touch top-tier sellers like Code Geass, Fate/Zero, Dragonball GT, Gundam Seed, Bakemonogatari, and various others. You'll have to forgive me for not considering GUP one of the best selling shows ever when we see tons of anime sell far more; especially since it came out in the same year as Nisemonogatari and Fate/Zero 2.


Wait. 10-20k is LOW success? And 20-30 is MID success? That seems like too much.
So you regard shows which sell <10k as...what? So-so sales? That's not possible. Why would shows will so-so sales get sequels then? Like Gintama, High School DxD or Ro Kyu Bu(this only sold 6k by the way)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Keonyn
Subscriber



Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 5566
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
est.1983 wrote:
looks like my posts were deleted from earlier today so let me repeat myself...



And yet you post it again.

It was removed because you were contributing nothing to the discussion and were just outright trolling. Just saying "that's gay" is not only offensive to some, but doesn't even add anything to the conversation. You have a criticism of the topic then discuss that criticism and why you feel that way, but what you did contributes nothing and is just outright trolling.

Also, if your post is removed that means it broke the rules and was removed by the staff. Reposting it is a quick way to get suspended/banned or placed under moderation (all posts will require moderator approval).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ConanSan



Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 1818
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
I hope this backfires on KyoAni.

Why so? I for one will be quite happy if it does well because that will mean that KyoAni will have more cash in their coffers to invest in other projects down the road. I do hope that there will be something in this series that will interest me since I'm not into sports anime or anime with a heavy BL subtext. But even if it turns out to be 100% fujoshi chow that isn't a good reason to bitch and moan since there will undoubtedly be plenty more shows airing that season that are more to my own taste.
It comes off as presumptuous beyond anything else; "Oh these nerds will lap up anything we squat out so let's host a goddamn banquet in honor of their new god who will rule them forever more (or at least untill we decide we're bored of it and firmly put a hatchet in it's back in favour of Uguu Moe Shortbus Chan or somesuch)."

I've made peace with the fact that Kyoani have been replaced by pod people from the lolicon star system (and as such hoping this nonsense funds Haruhi 3 or FMP 3 is a fool's errand at best), I would like said pod people to not count their chickens before they hatched.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5088
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:


Or it means people just have different definitions of "mid success". To me, 10K-20K is a low success, 20-30 is mid, and the 40+ range is the big success tier. In that regard, no, Girls und Panzer doesn't touch top-tier sellers like Code Geass, Fate/Zero, Dragonball GT, Gundam Seed, Bakemonogatari, and various others. You'll have to forgive me for not considering GUP one of the best selling shows ever when we see tons of anime sell far more; especially since it came out in the same year as Nisemonogatari and Fate/Zero 2.


As of the release of its 4th volume, Girls und Panzer is currently the 20th best selling anime of the last 13 years. It is very likely it will rise up several spots due to the absolute insanity of how well its selling and how its selling MORE each volume, instead of less.

To say that the all-time 20th best selling show is only a "middling" success is to quite frankly demonstrate you have no idea what you are talking about.

All time >10,000 average sales list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 1004
Location: Minnesota, USA
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Series that sell 100K are not that common, even among otaku shows, like I said trying to compare fujoshi shows to all-time best-sellers is cherry-picking
Eh, the only show to our knowledge that's done 100K+ is NGE. Not even Bakemonogatari averaged 100K.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=2010467#post2010467
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=2010468#post2010468
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5088
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Series that sell 100K are not that common, even among otaku shows, like I said trying to compare fujoshi shows to all-time best-sellers is cherry-picking
Eh, the only show to our knowledge that's done 100K+ is NGE. Not even Bakemonogatari averaged 100K.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=2010467#post2010467
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=2010468#post2010468


Actually Bake might have crossed 100k by now, we just have no way of finding out.

Thats why the pre-2000 list and post-2000 list are separate, the information and market changed drastically at that point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TsunaReborn!



Joined: 08 Sep 2012
Posts: 4713
Location: Cheltenham UK
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to some man-service in a non BL series, I'm genuinely excited for this series as I used to be a competive swimmer myself.

I'm not suprised there is dojinshi already.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun



Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 1213
Location: City 7, Macross 7
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
I hope this backfires on KyoAni.


Stay mad, your tears fuel me so much.

Quote:
I believe that is called cherry picking.


You're last goddamn person to be accusing others of cherry-picking.

Quote:
I don't see any problem with saying fujoshi shows do not sell as well as otaku shows.


Shows with smaller fanbases* sell less than shows with higher fanbases? Stop the [expletive] presses, TitanXL HAS SAID SOMETHING TRULY UNKNOWN

*:this is ignoring how the smaller fanbase is like that due to patriarchy.
Can we please, for the love of god, not turn a doujin event into yet another internet argument about patriarchy? Seriously, if politics are frowned upon when brought up on the boards, why do both genders get in these giant involved and, frankly, moronic arguments about sexism?

Both sides are making shallow points, and it just devolves into namecalling and throwing advanced terms around to elicit a response.

It's a stupid show about shirtless boys doing silly things. I'm not going to watch it, because I'm not the intended audience. If somebody else wants to watch it and enjoy it, more power to them. I'll go watch a show about shirtless GIRLS doing silly things, because guess what? There's a multitude of them to choose from, and in no way does a fujoshi-bait show jeopardize their existence. If you're a male anime fan, you are not some oppressed victim here, and you just need to shut up.

And if you DO watch the show, it doesn't make you some paragon of equality, and upholder of feminist ideals. No, it means you want to watch shirtless, attractive men do funny things. Which is totally fine, just admit that's what you want, and don't turn this whole thing into an argument about patriarchy. Patriarchy is literally the most cop-out excuse in an argument about sexism, and saying that things are exclusively because of it is logic best fit for a kindergartner. In fact, I MIGHT go a step further and say that you're being downright misandric, which is just as bad as the anti-"Free!" sexists in my mind.

It's a stupid show, and both sides should stop taking it so seriously.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xorasor



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Can we please, for the love of god, not turn a doujin event into yet another internet argument about patriarchy? Seriously, if politics are frowned upon when brought up on the boards, why do both genders get in these giant involved and, frankly, moronic arguments about sexism?


You know, if anybody is going to be starting an argument on sexism/sexist arguments here, it would kind of be... you. Chagen simply made an offhand remark about a possible explanation for the size of a fanbase, which nobody proceeded to comment on (Sorry, one person did, explicitly saying they didn't want to comment further), until you wrote several paragraphs devoted to complaining about the fact that he made the comment in the first place.

Oh, and you then both mock him, and accuse him of misandry.

I find your hypocrisy hilarious.

EDIT: Not to mention you revived the thread to complain about this bugaboo in the first place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo-kun



Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 1213
Location: City 7, Macross 7
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Xorasor wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Can we please, for the love of god, not turn a doujin event into yet another internet argument about patriarchy? Seriously, if politics are frowned upon when brought up on the boards, why do both genders get in these giant involved and, frankly, moronic arguments about sexism?


You know, if anybody is going to be starting an argument on sexism/sexist arguments here, it would kind of be... you. Chagen simply made an offhand remark about a possible explanation for the size of a fanbase, which nobody proceeded to comment on (Sorry, one person did, explicitly saying they didn't want to comment further), until you wrote several paragraphs devoted to complaining about the fact that he made the comment in the first place.

Oh, and you then both mock him, and accuse him of misandry.

I find your hypocrisy hilarious.

EDIT: Not to mention you revived the thread to complain about this bugaboo in the first place.
Hypocrisy? What part of what I said was hypocritical, again? I'm simply pointing out that both sides are being downright moronic about this silly little show.

Sorry if I come across as bitter, but when all anybody seems capable of talking about lately is this series that isn't even out yet, it starts to make me irritable. I realize I came across as a bit of a baby, and for that, I'm sorry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group