• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA to Publish Sailor Moon, Sailor V Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
I'm still trying to decide whether to buy the Utena remaster:
Well, the preorder was an easy decision for me, since I don't have the CPM version, but there is a very strong "pro" argument on "get this even if you have the CPM" at Okazu .. skip down past the press release to the italics which is the high points of the comments by Cryssoberyl.

RestlessOne wrote:
rainbowrabbit wrote:

There's something I want to bring up though. I'm not trying to bust anyone out. Oh, who am I kidding. That's exactly what I want to do. Justin Sevakis said on at least 3 occasions how we should give up and abandon all hope because Sailor Moon would never return to the US "unless the stars move". After those bold statements, can we expect backtracking, denial of making those remarks in the first place, or actually owning up to his arrogance of jumping the gun and acting like he knew everything?

http://community.funimation.com/fb.aspx?m=333491
Shouldn't that be something we just let drop? I believe it was in reference to the anime, anyway, and thus he would know the inside scoop about what's happening with that media. Not that the anime can't return; anything's possible. Just rather unlikely.
It clearly was in reference to the anime ~ and a moderate commercial success for the manga would be one thing ~ perhaps the only thing ~ that could put pressure on the stars to realign themselves.

jr0904 wrote:
Quark wrote:
This is great news! Hopefully they do a better job translating this than Tokyopop did.
No kidding.That is one thing I hope don't happen with this re release.

Though what I am really hoping for is that they'll finally be a relicensing fo the anime series and hopefully an uncut english dub version of season 1, R ( even though I still like their DIC counterparts ) and especially the Sailor Stars and hopefully a better dub of S and Super S cause the Pioneer version of the series ( not the movies ) were really unwatchable ,even for a hard core dubber like me.
On the other hand, a new dub is not going to happen except in the extraordinarily unlikely event that the manga is a runaway success. A nostalgia re-release can be a modest commercial success with the cost of remastering and a new / polished subtitle, but a new dub would likely kill its chances.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
WOW one of my earlier childhood anime. I now have the privelege of reading the manga version. Been wanting to get my hands on the manga version! Can't wait till September.

Sailor V series is an amazing bonus, since I love the heck out of her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
That's not Takeuchi; that's Toei. Back when Sailor Moon was airing all over the world, Takeuchi was asked if she has any influence on the animation side of the business - she said she has none.

If she has no influence, then why all the hush-hush secrecy? Why didn't FUNimation just rescue the license years ago considering that they're in good terms with Toei?

I don't know, but it's not because of Takeuchi hating any dub in any language of the Sailor Moon anime. She had repeatedly stated she's happy that her work is being watched all over the world (especially since she's raking in all the royalties and driving a Lamborghini). Also remember, Sailor Moon was her first breakout hit (yet so far only), so her young self wasn't in the position of power to dictate terms to the business machine that is the Japanese production committee (her "bosses," the merchandise sponsors, Kodansha, TV Asahi, Toei, Bandai, etc). She was just one cog in the money-making machine that became a worldwide phenomenon: remember the manga, the anime, the merchandise, etc. all came out almost simultaneously together - the machine planned to make it a phenomenon from the very start.

Last edited by enurtsol on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
As happy as I am about this news, its a little >.> for me, too. I've been slowly collecting the original manga over the last year or so. I have more than half of em in good condition.

I should hurry and sell the ones I've got before word spreads too far and they arent worth anything anymore...
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
MagicallyDelicious wrote:
I should hurry and sell the ones I've got before word spreads too far and they arent worth anything anymore...

I was desperate trying to get my hands on the OOP copies on ebay. My long been sufferings are alleviated thanks to Kodansha. Now I've got to face the long wait till September comes!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
You know how I know this is big news? I read about it on the Associated Press's wire service. The. Associated. Freakin'. Press.

Anyway, this is fantastic news for all Sailor Moon fans. I'm sure the news that the anime is being rescued from Licensing Hell will be forthcoming very soon.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I am very pleased with this news. Not only did I get a majority of the original Mixx Comics but I also had the TP manga. I even bought the Novels they had back in the day. Thinking about it were those official light novels or just something for the english market?

Considering I just added that old SM "songs from the tv series" cd last week to my ipod I apparently talked it up.

I will get these up when they come out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
This is great news. Very Happy I'm not sure if I want to re-buy all the manga though, even if they're going to be in better condition than Tokyo Pop's. But this is really good for people, who want newer versions or who have not been able to obtain an English Sailor Moon manga.

Much like the other people here, my TP SM manga are falling apart. Maybe when Kodansha gets up to the Sailor Stars arc, then I'll probably complete my collection then. I stopped right at the first volume of Sailor Stars. Had enough of TP by that point.

Good-bye "Bunny"! Hello Usagi, Mamoru, Chibi-usa, etc! All the names that should've been there from the very beginning. はいはい!

At least, I have most of the Sailor Moon animation book comics, except for Sailor Stars, in Japanese. Don't think Kodansha will be translating those though for the English speaking world.

As for Sailor V, those I will definitely purchase.
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
This news isn't too surprising, since we pretty much saw it coming, but: HALLELUJAH!!! I have a few of the Tokyopop versions, but I'll gladly replace them with the new volumes, which will no doubt have better translation. Not to mention, the Tokyopop volumes fall apart quite easily.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

RestlessOne wrote:
Shouldn't that be something we just let drop? I believe it was in reference to the anime, anyway, and thus he would know the inside scoop about what's happening with that media. Not that the anime can't return; anything's possible. Just rather unlikely.

Well, when you consider that the remarks were made online and made its rounds across all major anime fansites, this isn't exactly something that people are just going to let drop. Anything you say on the Internet can be used against you and considering that everyone was told to "give up" and "abandon all hope", it just came across as demeaning to the fandom. Don't be surprised if there is going to be a lot of "IN YOUR FACE, SEVAKIS!!!" going around the fansites should the anime get licensed again. The fandom, especially in Canada, is bigger than anyone even thinks.

That's more along the lines of what I meant. It's about the anime, so I don't see how is comments have much to do with the licensing of the manga (and, might I add, but Kodansha's US branch; it's not like VIZ or YP were able to get it). Though I suppose we do have to keep in mind that Sevakis' comments were made with the current state of the SM anime in mind. Though it doesn't explain the whole "it will never happen," perhaps a very unexpected shift in thought/situation will occur, so unforeseen that it seemed impossible. It also depends on what problems there actually are. We might feel more sympathetic if we knew the reasoning behind his comments. Of course, we cannot be privy to that information.

While the manga license is a glimmer of hope, licensing them will be a very different process, and it's a bit early to start saying Sevakis was wrong. With any luck, the manga sales will be enough to change the SM anime's limbo status.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
For those curious about the a new translation of the manga, http://www.allaboutmanga.net/ 's Daniella Orihela-Gruber (who freelance edits for Tokyopop and apparently now also Kodansha) has confirmed that she'll be working on the new edition of Sailor Moon.

If ANN staff are still checking out the thread, she has confirmation here.... the cover looks to be from another international edition using the new artwork...
http://www.allaboutmanga.net/2011/03/18/loe-sailormoon/
LinaLoN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm not holding my breath just in case something falls through but that doesn't mean I can't be elated at the same time, right? I'm so happy to hear this! I just recently got back into Sailor Moon and just recently posted about my frustrations over Sailor Moon comics disappearing. It's almost as if fate has agreed with me Laughing
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
And as Erica at Okazu notes:
Quote:
Under no circumstances is, "So when is the anime coming out?" the appropriate reaction, btw. Saying "yay!" and saving your money to buy the volumes, which will start being released in September, is an appropriate reaction. If you really do not have the money (and believe me, I sympathize with that,) the most appropriate reaction is to head over to your local public library and become friends with the person who is in charge of the Graphic Novels section or, if there is no GN section, the "acquisitions" person and start getting them primed to pick this series up. Don't rant. Just let them know that one of the two series that truly launched anime/manga here in the US (Dragonball being the other) is about to be released and it'd probably be cool to get it for the collection.

If its a mild commercial success, that might help to "realign the stars" to get an anime release, but even if it doesn't, if it is a mild commercial success, that's still a net plus all around.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
^
On that note, I do know some people in the group who buy books for the local library. We have a fairly nice manga/graphic novel collection, and I'm sure Sailor Moon would be a nice addition. Especially considering its legacy and popularity. To be honest, I have little interest in the series (just not my thing), but I know a few people who will be delighted by this news.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Even if the anime doesn't get reissued, the manga getting here again is a major, important thing, and fans of the anime who haven't checked it out before should definitely do so [my favorite storyline was the volume with the Sailor Moon S movie plotline].

I liked Erika's writeup on the news- lots to look forward to, and yeah, the earlier TPop edition wasn't really all that bad- it was moreso a product of it's time, and shaped a lot of what we have today. My only real issue with it was the binding on some of the earlier volumes. Her point about asking your local library to get it if you can't afford it is a good one, as it's a classic libraries should have, and it's a way to support Kodansha's edition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10