• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA to Publish Sailor Moon, Sailor V Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I am so thrilled to hear this! Even though I own both editions in Japanese as well as the old Tokyopop English translations, I will definitely purchase these. It would be so amazing if they could put out the artbooks as well. I've never been able to afford the Japanese ones.

It would be so brilliant if this helped encourage Toei to let us have a rerelease of the entire anime. I'd absolutely double dip for a better version of it as well.
azhanei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
This is amazing news! I had the orignal Mixx run. I can't even remeber what I did with them, but was just thinking yesterday I wish I had them back and wishing someone would bring back the manga and anime. Totally buying the re-releases and making sure the teen librarian adds them to our collection.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Can. Not. WAIT. To own my favorite series through KUSA. Wink

C'moooon, Alive!!
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad I'm not the only one is is totally geeking out over this. SOOOO exciting.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
Don't wanna be the killjoy on Kodansha's breakout party...................... but these are grim times in the manga publishing industry. With Borders liquidating, that pretty much just leaves the choices to Barnes & Noble or online stores for the majority of the public.

B&N isn't as enthusiastic about manga as Border was, while online stores don't really get the foot-traffic, impulse buys, or public awareness that brick-and-mortar stores could provide. Especially for a tween-centric publication like Sailor Moon whose girls don't have credit cards and have to rely on their parents to be able to buy stuff.

And look, on the night of the moon's super-perigee in 18 years (incidentally, the last time, Sailor Moon was still being published - how's that for coincidence?), I didn't even mention Twilight. Laughing
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Don't wanna be the killjoy on Kodansha's breakout party...................... but these are grim times in the manga publishing industry. With Borders liquidating, that pretty much just leaves the choices to Barnes & Noble or online stores for the majority of the public.

Liquidating? When did they file for Chapter 7? You do know that Chapter 11 bankruptcy does not mean they are liquidating, right? They may be closing some stores, and I don't personally have much faith in their survival, but the fact is that they aren't liquidating. Unless I've missed something and they have filed Chapter 7, in which case I am wrong.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Liquidating? When did they file for Chapter 7? You do know that Chapter 11 bankruptcy does not mean they are liquidating, right? They may be closing some stores, and I don't personally have much faith in their survival, but the fact is that they aren't liquidating. Unless I've missed something and they have filed Chapter 7, in which case I am wrong.

My bad. I was using what investors were speculating that's inevitable.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
B&N isn't as enthusiastic about manga as Border was, while online stores don't really get the foot-traffic, impulse buys, or public awareness that brick-and-mortar stores could provide. Especially for a tween-centric publication like Sailor Moon whose girls don't have credit cards and have to rely on their parents to be able to buy stuff. :

Well....
- keep in mind that tweens who watched it when it debuted back in 1995 are now in their late 20's and 30's [and have $$$$$], and many are still fans of the series. Then there's kids who watched the anime's return in the early 00's who are now in their late teens/early 20's and paying outrageous prices for TPop's old editions on Ebay.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I imagine at cons you'll see lots of Naruto/Bleach kiddies giving wierd stares to adults squealing over Kodansha's new edition this fall Smile This book has a lot of nostalgia here, and I imagine it will draw out a lot of fans who've been out of anime/manga lately.

I imagine kids who check it out will love it, but with the deluxe packaging, Kodansha is targetting the same folks who've been buying Dark Horse's obscenely pretty CLAMP omnibuses- preexisting fans of the work who are now older and will drop cash on a fancier edition, or fans who missed out on the books the first time around and now have the $$$ to fling at a fancy new edition- the fans of this title don't want to read it online, won't refuse to buy it if it's over 9.99, have been obsessively pining for it for years, and probably won't blink at buying it again even if they already have the older editions. WE WANT THESE BOOKS. It's not the fansub flavour of the month.

- Kodasha, being brand-new, dodged the bullet of the whole Borders situation. Borders deathknell is a blow to the GN industry, but there's still a lot of successful titles, and I imgaine SMoon will do decently. I imagine they're working with more retailers than just Borders, which leads us to......

-Sailor Moon was biiiiiiiig in comic shops- outselling Aquaman even [really, the comic floated around Diamond's top 100, in the area where DC/Marvel's lower tier titles flopped around at the time]. I imagine many retailers recall what at hit it was and will be stocking it, and again, they cater to that older clientel who knows to search this stuff out at places outside shopping malls. This is one of those titles that hardcore fans want [just look at all the buzz here on ANN- very very few negative remarks about the news. Seriously, when does that EVER happen?], and they won't give up on getting it if it's not on the shelves of their mall's book store.

EDIT-- Here's the stats for Sailor Moon #30 [cover here http://www.comics.org/issue/272397/cover/4/ ] http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/297.html which was the 120th top selling comic in April 2001, selling around the same as Martian Manhunter, and outselling Impulse, Swamp Thing, Gen 13, Dragonball, and other popular lowertier comics of the time.
DTJB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
HOLY F&@*$%G S%#T!!! Very Happy New translation of Sailor Moon AND SAILOR V?!? (head explosion) That House of 1,000 Manga article put me on a nostalgia trip so this is a very nice treat. Definite buy for both of these. Same article got me reading scans of Sailor V, only two chapters in and I don't see it being as strong as SM, but so far it's cool to get into the origins of the franchise. And yes, as mentioned before, we fans of the 90s are older, and now we have $$$.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Well....
- keep in mind that tweens who watched it when it debuted back in 1995 are now in their late 20's and 30's [and have $$$$$], and many are still fans of the series. Then there's kids who watched the anime's return in the early 00's who are now in their late teens/early 20's and paying outrageous prices for TPop's old editions on Ebay.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I imagine at cons you'll see lots of Naruto/Bleach kiddies giving wierd stares to adults squealing over Kodansha's new edition this fall Smile This book has a lot of nostalgia here, and I imagine it will draw out a lot of fans who've been out of anime/manga lately.

I imagine kids who check it out will love it, but with the deluxe packaging, Kodansha is targetting the same folks who've been buying Dark Horse's obscenely pretty CLAMP omnibuses- preexisting fans of the work who are now older and will drop cash on a fancier edition, or fans who missed out on the books the first time around and now have the $$$ to fling at a fancy new edition- the fans of this title don't want to read it online, won't refuse to buy it if it's over 9.99, have been obsessively pining for it for years, and probably won't blink at buying it again even if they already have the older editions. WE WANT THESE BOOKS. It's not the fansub flavour of the month.

And remember, some of those people who enjoyed back in the '90s and early '00s are now parents, or Aunts/Uncles, themselves and are more than likely to show Sailor Moon to THEIR kids, nieces and nephews. Who, if the kids like it, will show it to THEIR friends...thus opening up a whole new generation of Sailor Moon addicts.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
And remember, some of those people who enjoyed back in the '90s and early '00s are now parents, or Aunts/Uncles, themselves and are more than likely to show Sailor Moon to THEIR kids, nieces and nephews. Who, if the kids like it, will show it to THEIR friends...thus opening up a whole new generation of Sailor Moon addicts.

Oh god yeah. I have a friend I grew up with who now has a daughter named Serenity. She did this because she ADORED Sailor Moon, apparently more than me. (I would never name my daughter... Serenity.* The girl is about four now, but already jabbers on about Sailor Moon via the DIC vhs tapes her mom still has. That girl will be getting this comic via her mom or her aunti me. I also have one other friend who named his son Darien (I asked if it was because of Sailor Moon, and he confirmed it, but don't tell his wife.) Both of these people never got into anime, but it just goes to show how much people loved the show.

Any kids I eventually have will be force fed Sailor Moon. Besides, what kid doesn't like watching cartoons with their mommy at a young age? Especially if the mom is all into it too.

I'm sure these types of kids are few and far in between since the show is out of print and no longer aired, but if it ever gets aired again there might be a resurgence to some degree. Sailor Moon was popular with my generation before cartoon network started showing it via syndicated airings before school (6:30 in the morning, thank you local fox channel). It was the thing to watch before you got to school, then when you did get to school you couldn't get the girls (and some of the boys) to shut up.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Who, if the kids like it, will show it to THEIR friends...thus opening up a whole new generation of Sailor Moon addicts.

I don't believe the appeal of Sailor Moon is going to capture the hearts of people (okay, girls) who are now engrossed by the undead chasing their next dinner (or dessert?) shaped as the hot-looking Kristen Stewart.

Not saying it can't happen, but there's a reason why entertainment gets better over time: people tire of the stuff their parents enjoyed.

This is why the topic has me scratching my head because "old school" is very difficult to sell.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
This is why the topic has me scratching my head because "old school" is very difficult to sell.

It is hard to sell but Sailor Moon has a very hardcore fanbase around the world. As said a lot of us who were tweens and teens when it first came to America are now adults who have the money and means to buy it. No less some of us have our own children to share it with. I can also see depending on how much money Kodansha wants to dump into advertising and such a series like Sailor Moon could do pretty well for it's self.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rioka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there would be a problem. Old school doesn't mean it won't do well anymore. Those that sell over the test of time are called Classics (think movies, books, video games, and yes, even manga), and will sell well regardless of the generation they are re-introduced into. Sailor Moon is a Classic and what's going for it is that people still have fans who remember it, want it, and now they have a chance to have it again. Fans beget more fans. I see this more of a long-overdue snowball that just need to be pushed off the mountain and turned into something huge.

Re: Borders
I don't get why everyone is making a big deal out of Borders. There's still B&N, Amazon, and specialty sellers that sell manga. Libraries are also stocking manga like crazy nowadays because that's what is in demand by teens. Sure, manga isn't selling as well as before but hey, what do you expect with this economy? The only way Kodansha USA will bomb is if they totally screw up with translations, have lousy print-to-store distribution, have no marketing, and just a bunch of others things that can hurt their business.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Going with the current topic that's popped up, I agree - very few teens will be getting into it at this point. especially with the whole vampire craze going on. I was saying the next generation will be via the kids of the mega-fans, the ones currently being born or just now entering elementry school. I was that age when I discovered Sailor Moon (around 2nd grade), and I think that's sort of the targeted audience anyway. The age where it's fun to sit around and watch cartoons, and you'll eat just about any cartoon your parent gives you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10