• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Edit List - Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
totalgeek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious why the Edit List didn't include a mention about the movie being shown in pan and scan rather than widescreen format as it is on the DVD?
bebop26

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Good. There weren't that many edits. I seen the movie a year ago, and the only thing I knew edited was Spike's "shit" being changed to "crap". Other than that, a solid movie, even if Sony was inconsistent at times. They even left in the blood coming from Spike's wound when Vincent was clutching his stomach, something may've been edited in 2002. What I was REALLY surprised to see that Electra's breast were left untouched (even though we didn't see anything) but still shocked the hell out of me.

Of course, the occasional speeding up the credits, but I can deal.

So the Cowboy Bebop Movie Edit List is done. Now how about Metropolis Kyle, or... Escaflowne The Movie. Very Happy
emory

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
bebop26 wrote:
So the Cowboy Bebop Movie Edit List is done. Now how about Metropolis Kyle, or... Escaflowne The Movie. Very Happy

Except for the credits, I think Metropolis was unedited. There's not really much to edit.
Lost_Toys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
"Not an edit... Scene of Spike's bullet hitting Vincent during the fight on the tower left in. (Explain this one.)"

This is an old Hollywood code showing its ugly head again. Violence on behalf of the hero is designed to fix some wrong, to bring order to disorder. However, violence by an evil person is vile in action, it is designed only to bring havok and destruction.

That is why the hero is not shown beind damaged in a very violent manner (yes, the exception is Vincent grabbing Spike, but you have to remember that in the US there is great fear over gun violence, not melee violence), but the vilian is, as a demnostration of what happens to "wrong doers".

Nudity:

Here is another example of protecting your character identity. Although Faye is designed to be a sexy character, CN does not want to represent her a sex object. Because she is an integral part of the series, CN wants to protect her image as much as possible. However, Elektra appears only in this film. Her character remains only in this singular instance.

The non-editing of Faye with her top cut would be a major pain in the ass to edit. You would either have to go over the film with digital clothing (ala Tenchi) or try to find ways of cropping her face. The first is not cost effective. The second is almost impossible to do unless they cut the entire scene out of the film, but then you would lose very key plot points. What is surprising about keeping this entire scene intact is that it is very graphic violence towards women, which normally gets the sensors in an uproar.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Less than twelve edits for an entire movie? And those sound like pretty minor ones, at that. That's really not that bad, considering...

I hope you know that most of the items on that list were things that WEREN'T edits. Rolling Eyes

That is exactly my point. Less than twelve edits, because that was easier than going back and recounting.

As opposed to see lists of 20+ edits per 30-minute episode, a list for a whole movie that doesn't even make a dozen items is not bad at all.
bebop26

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
emory - Cool. Its good to know Metropolis was unedited, it was a great movie, and I'm glad it did well.

I was also surprised to see Faye have her top cut with no digital paint, but that was an important scene as you said, Lost_Toys, it is inconsistant, but it was also important to know about Vincent's character, which would've left viewers lost for words if the scene was just cut completely.
The violence I'm surprised was (almost) untouched, even the Escaflowne Movie was violent and (even bloodier) than the CN airing on "Knocking On Heaven's Door", but I guess it was just because Bandai gave the DVD to [adult swim]. (hence it was in widescreen)
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:44 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Do people cry blue murder when Patrick Swayze says "DANG!" instead of "SH*T" when they watch Road House on TNT? No. Why do they expect CN to show unedited R-rated movies?

No, I laugh at some of the stuff they use to "bleep" it out. Pure Hilarity.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
Lost_Toys wrote:

Nudity:

Here is another example of protecting your character identity. Although Faye is designed to be a sexy character, CN does not want to represent her a sex object. Because she is an integral part of the series, CN wants to protect her image as much as possible.

I don't get this, given that in the Series, Faye has at least two scences where they display her as a Sex Object and uses behavior that could be called flirting. And given her near skimpy outfit, I don't see HOW their protecting her "Image."
Erufu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
They could have possibly left some nudity in while cutting others because they thought they could get away with some of it but all of it put together would just be too much. That's my 2 cents.
Krenz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
In addition to the Japanese ending credits, the opening title was left intact. I mean, instead of like on the DVD where it says "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie" they left it as it's supposed to be "Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door" I guess that one guy who wrote a song with that title doesn't care anymore? Who knows...
Zoogicub

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Less than twelve edits for an entire movie? And those sound like pretty minor ones, at that. That's really not that bad, considering...

Exactly. Look, you have to realize that this is still national television, and they still have to abide by FCC rules. Language is a given. Be glad they were nice enough to have alternate takes for the harsh words (the episodes did it all the time).
However, if there's distinctly graphic violence (on-screen stabbings/shootings that realistically depict entry into a body) it has to be cut for commercial networks. That's why you pay a premium to networks like HBO and Cinemax because they have to pay for the right to broadcast material such as that uncut. And really, this one seems to have maintained the integrity of the movie unbelievably well.

As for this whole syndication/not syndication, it is in fact, not syndicated. It's merely the public television distribution. Syndication is a term reserved for programming shown on multiple locations at the same time, such as tv shows in their 4th year of production (the standard for the industry).
Syn di ca tion: noun- to publish or broadcast (material) simultaneously in a number of newspapers, television stations, etc. his reports were syndicated to 200 other papers.
For now, Sony is limiting who gets to air it, such as premium or standard cable networks. In a few years, if Sony decides to maintain the U.S. distribution rights and they keep it in their standard library, it's up to each station, be it local, national, or international to call Sony (or its broadcast distribution partner) to say, "hey, send us a copy for air" and can then be shown any time with that standard edited copy.

Anyway, that said, if you can't stand the way it looks on broadcast tv, then you should go out and pick up a copy of it. If you're too cheap to do that, then you should be grateful you get to watch it without having to pay a rental or retail price. Cool
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Zoogicub wrote:
Exactly. Look, you have to realize that this is still national television, and they still have to abide by FCC rules. Language is a given. Be glad they were nice enough to have alternate takes for the harsh words (the episodes did it all the time).

Actually, the Bebop movie didn't have alternate takes. Here's what was done:

Opening scene

Spike: "Don't pull that Art of War crap on me! And you - you take too long to take a shit!"

The word "crap" was taken from the first line and spliced into the second over the word "shit." Listen closely; you can tell.

ISSP Scene

ISSP Chief: "Shit! Contact the squad below and find out what's going on!"

"Shit" was muted out. A shot of the chief saying it again was completely cut.
Ilze88

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this movie wasnt edited too much. I didn't watch it on AS since I have the DVD but it's always good to know that AS is starting to get away with more and more. Especially with Eva coming up.

bebop26 wrote:
Quote:
So the Cowboy Bebop Movie Edit List is done. Now how about Metropolis Kyle, or... Escaflowne The Movie.

I dont think there was a whole lot to edit in Metropolis. Escaflowne I think was left pretty good. Most of the blood and violence was left in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2