• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Elfen Lied OVA to Complete Collection Blu-ray/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Lied is one of my favorite series but I don't know if I'm willing to double-dip yet.

I'm really curious if they're going to dub the OVA and keep the original actors. Releases like Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works and the OVA for Rozen Maiden kept pretty much the same staff of the original show, will it be the same for Elfen Lied ?

Judging by their ANN profile, the actors for the 4 main characters haven't done VA in years, except for the actress who voiced Yuka. It seems she came back from out of nowhere to do voices for extras in Phi Brain and Tokyo Magnitude 8.

You can't have Lucy without Kira Vincent-Davis.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
After almost a decade, ADV finally releases the OVA! Congrats, I guess. After all this time, I no longer care, but many others are quite happy. ^^
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Kinda glad that I never got around to buying that old "complete" collection now.

Hopefully this doesn't have any issues with audio like some of their releases have when it's released
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Sigh the ova is finely coming here and when I all ready have it I dont have the green to get again just for 1ep
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
It sure would be nice if one of these days ANN would start wording their monthly Section23 release articles in a way that doesn't misrepresent that company and what it does, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Section23 is a distribution company only, regardless of from whence it sprung. Its job is to perform as a mechanism to get finished products to retail. It does not have any say in what titles get licensed, nor does it have any say in the production process. That is all left up to the actual licensing and production studios, such as Sentai, Maiden Japan and ADV (which, incidentally, is still functioning in a limited capacity, still owns Elfen Lied, and is the company releasing these new DVD and Blu-ray sets).

So, to say as this article's title does that Section23 is adding anything to anything is categorically false. For example, Warner Bros. handles all of Viz's DVD and Blu-ray distribution. An equivalent and equally-misleading news article about a Viz anime release would be titled "Warner Bros. Adds Accel World Short Extras to Series Release." I think that would probably be more obvious to folks, due to the convoluted history that resulted in Section23 even existing versus Viz's relatively straightforward history, but regardless, there's still such a thing as correct and incorrect.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Sensei Terry Silver wrote:

Judging by their ANN profile, the actors for the 4 main characters haven't done VA in years, except for the actress who voiced Yuka. It seems she came back from out of nowhere to do voices for extras in Phi Brain and Tokyo Magnitude 8.

Sasha Paysinger has recently appeared in the cast of Momo: The Girl God of Death, so it's likely she will be back if they need to do a new dub for the OVA episode (and didn't complete one before).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
@ Sakura Shinguji: technically you are correct in your distinction between Section 23 and Sentai, but they are both owned and operated by the same individuals so it's not like it's an arms length relationship the way Warner Bros. and Viz are independent entities. But yeah, if this kind of thing is important to you, I guess...
Meygaera

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
http://www.structuregaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpeg

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

BLU-RAY AND OVA!

What this guy said
Crystal

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
AnimeMaine wrote:
Bad news: I'll have to buy this again.
Good news: I'll be able to get the OVA and a Blu-ray and my niece will get my old DVD copy.

How old's your niece? Anime hyper

I kinda wish Sentai would do this for Kino's Journey (and hopefully have the 2 leads return for the dub) with the Kino's Journey movies and OVA. I'd still rebuy the rest of the show if they could release those bilingual.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Sakura Shinguji: technically you are correct in your distinction between Section 23 and Sentai, but they are both owned and operated by the same individuals so it's not like it's an arms length relationship the way Warner Bros. and Viz are independent entities. But yeah, if this kind of thing is important to you, I guess...

I think the main point of confusion here is that this new release is actually an ADV Films license. The article writer seems to imply ADV Films is only responsible for older releases, but they're technically still around and will have their logo on this new release. It's not really a Sentai license at all.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Glad I never picked up the series on dvd, but now I can finally enjoy it in HD
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
@ EmperorBrandon - But again, Sentai, Switchblade Pictures, Maiden Japan, ADV ... it's all the same people. These are not independent, stand-alone companies. S23 is the distributor for all those lines. S23 is owned by the same people who make all the decisions for those lines. Organizationally, they have different names, but it is, de facto, the same decision-makers.

I was, however, unaware that anything was still being put out under the ADV imprint. That's kind of strange.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
A few other titles have been put out under the ADV label since their assets were sold off, but we haven't had any for a while. Perhaps the strangest was the first Orphen two season double pack, which had both the ADV logos (who had season 2 at the time) and Sentai (who had season 1).
xFiveBoltMainx

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I never knew there was an ova. I have the thin pack, so now I have to decide if it's worth getting the BD just for the ova. Decisions, decisions.
Relairknight

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
My kingdom for a manga release...sigh. I guess this is good news at least, I'm a sucker for having to complete collections..must have ova!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4