• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Elfen Lied OVA to Complete Collection Blu-ray/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
A few other titles have been put out under the ADV label since their assets were sold off, but we haven't had any for a while.

The last one I can think of that was released under the ADV brand was the UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie Seasons 1 & 2 collection back in September 2012.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
Glad to see an "older" title resurrected. Having never seen Elfen Lied while aware of its controversial nature, I feel inclined to check this one out this time around.

Is the OVA actually integral to the story, or just one of those insipid, tacked-on harem episodes I've come to loathe?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:03 am Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:

Is the OVA actually integral to the story, or just one of those insipid, tacked-on harem episodes I've come to loathe?

Most of it is important and focuses on Lucy and her capture and the remaining part is some hijinks between two secondary characters
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
gojira89 wrote:
Yes the OVA will be dubbed.

Source?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Well this is great news.

I've asked about this at past ADV panels (since like 2008 ) - their explanation of why the OVA never got released was entirely reasonable: it wasn't bundled with the TV series, so even though they owned the rights to both individually, they'd have to pay extra for a new license to release them as a complete set; problem was that after getting the license, they realized you can't really release a one-episode OVA very easily as a stand-alone.

Well the OVA was essentially "episode 10.5", and it was as much of a mixed experience as the rest of the series; half was utterly dark, and the other half had cliched harem-anime jokes...which sort of became necessary just to survive the crippling doom and gloom of the other half.

Yes it added to the story because it was the flashback explaining how young Lucy was ultimately captured alive.

I kind of always hope that they get to do a sequel-series for this, but I hope they don't really base it on the manga's second half (which got both repetitive and much darker).

Anyway, like others here I wonder if they'll give it an English dub or if they'll get all the voice actors back.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
gojira89 wrote:

Source?

I just got email confirmation from Mike Bailiff at Section 23

Quote:
Yes indeed. It will be dubbed.
N.R.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
I kinda wish Sentai would do this for Kino's Journey (and hopefully have the 2 leads return for the dub) with the Kino's Journey movies and OVA.

This is a little bit off-topic, but I would love to have a complete DVD set of Kino no Tabi with the movie and OVAs. I'm not so sure it will gain anything by being on a Blu-ray disc though. They never released a remastered BD version in Japan and upscaling Kino won't make it look any better.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
their explanation of why the OVA never got released was entirely reasonable: it wasn't bundled with the TV series, so even though they owned the rights to both individually, they'd have to pay extra for a new license to release them as a complete set; problem was that after getting the license, they realized you can't really release a one-episode OVA very easily as a stand-alone.

Now I'm worried that there will be a long delay for the highschool of the dead ova to be physically released, but I'm at the same time not surprised by my theory.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
roseversailles wrote:

Most of it is important and focuses on Lucy and her capture and the remaining part is some hijinks between two secondary characters

So, it's still somewhat essential to the show, it would seem. I'm glad that Section23 is releasing it, then. I'm not too familiar with their Blu-Ray releases, but I hope they treat their product well (no misaligned spines or audio tapping out on one speaker... *eyes another company*).
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
Crystal wrote:
I kinda wish Sentai would do this for Kino's Journey (and hopefully have the 2 leads return for the dub) with the Kino's Journey movies and OVA.

This is a little bit off-topic, but I would love to have a complete DVD set of Kino no Tabi with the movie and OVAs. I'm not so sure it will gain anything by being on a Blu-ray disc though. They never released a remastered BD version in Japan and upscaling Kino won't make it look any better.

THIS THIS THIS! I agree that Kino's Journey doesn't really seem like a series that would improve from an upscale, but I'd love to see a release of the movies and OVA. Kinda surprised it hasn't happened yet, honestly. Was Kino not a big seller for ADV?
gojira89

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
gojira89 wrote:

Source?

I just got email confirmation from Mike Bailiff at Section 23

Quote:
Yes indeed. It will be dubbed.

The PR stated the OVA would be dubbed.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
gojira89 wrote:

The PR stated the OVA would be dubbed.

No, it doesn't.
Hence the need to get clarification from someone at Section23.
24cigaro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
im just wondering if this will come with the ost because in most sites it docent mention it
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
24cigaro wrote:
im just wondering if this will come with the ost because in most sites it docent mention it

No, it was just a poorly worded article. They ment that it will include the English and Japanese dubs. I'm not sure why they chose the wording they did.
24cigaro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
24cigaro wrote:

No, it was just a poorly worded article. They ment that it will include the English and Japanese dubs. I'm not sure why they chose the wording they did.

i knew it was to good to be true
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4