• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-09-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
i suspect some funny quotes will come ouot of this one. i'd enter, but i don't really care about Gunslinger Girls.
I would but I can't think of anything outside of inside jokes or gun humor.

So what's wrong with gun humour, in this context?

- abunai
most people wont get the reference
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

Allow me to share with you one of the five captions that I sent in:

Quote:
4) "Oh dear, this uses 5.56 mm ammo, and I only have 7.62 mm left over from the AK47 I got for Christmas."

I doubt that Zac is a MilGeek, but there're plenty of them in the audience...

- abunai
(Pacifist MilGeek)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
Besides, it's kind of hard not to do a gun joke. I think that was what Zak was going for by having a girl with a gun as the picture.
Acolyte

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

Quote:
4) "Oh dear, this uses 5.56 mm ammo, and I only have 7.62 mm left over from the AK47 I got for Christmas."

- abunai
(Pacifist MilGeek)

Kinda answers a question that was buzzing around my head, that of how many times/captions you could enter. Never having entered something like this I was unsure; so I only sent in two; out of the 7-8 that popped into my head. Kind of thought Zac would get tired of hearing from me. But now that I know.....Twisted Evil 'course with my luck, next time I won't be able to think of any... Rolling Eyes
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:21 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

Quote:

- abunai
(Pacifist MilGeek)

I was thinking more like "The Airsoft Forum is that way"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Being unable to participate to win a prize, because I live on the wrong side of the pond, I would have liked to enter;
Detention? Detain this!
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:59 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Being unable to participate to win a prize, because I live on the wrong side of the pond, I would have liked to enter;
Detention? Detain this!

I think that someone has prior art on that particular "joke"...

I live on the Sane Side of the Pond, myself, but that doesn't deter me from entering.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Andromeda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and assume that the reason you're asking this is probably because you have a "really great idea" for an anime and you want to see it come to life. It's a nice dream, and a pleasant thought, but you and about 39 million other American teenagers have the same idea, and I get letters from all of them, sometimes with "scripts" attached. I don't want to be the bad guy here, but the odds that your "really great idea" is actually "really great" are pretty low, unless you've actually taken the classes necessary to learn the art and science of screenwriting. Writing TV and movies is difficult work; just having watched a lot of anime does not make you qualified to write anime, just like driving a car does not make you qualified to design one.

And even then, it's still difficult. Wink Even if you're taking writing classes, you will never be finished with learning how to write well, especially if you don't have the drive and raw talent to begin with... and even those that do will have dry spells. I'm sure anyone who writes can tell anyone that much.

On the other hand, though, watching good TV DOES help you get a better idea on what makes good setup (whether for character development, world-building, drama, comedy, action) or pacing for TV. So it's not like it wouldn't help, but you're right - having a cool idea does not mean a studio in a foreign country will listen.

My advice to anyone who "wants to make an anime"? Stop asking Answerman. Stop looking to Japan, either. If you're not Japanese, you'll have to be either really good, really famous, really rich, or all of the above in order to get a Japanese studio to even give you a second glance... heck, I imagine you'd have to be that much in order to be JAPANESE and get a Japanese studio to look at you, let alone being an American and trying to get them to look at your stuff. And getting there is hard work, no matter how smart, or talented, or even lucky you are, you will have to work hard to get to the point where people will listen, much less want to do anything with your stuff.

There is, however, a way to get your stuff made here at home... if you're willing to spend your own money and/or time in insane levels and are really dedicated. It's called "independant film". Wink

I've seen an increasing number of small groups of fans and hobbyists get together and create their own anime, usually on the computer, using programs like ACID (for audio) and various animation and graphics programs, and heck, for $800 you can get a decent software suite that includes a film editing software, ACID, and a pretty good DVD-programming software that can even handle doing 5.1 audio, layered audio (for things like alternate music tracks), subtitle tracks, regions,etc. - and even do anamorphic widescreen, apparently, or convert flash format menus into DVD menus. I think it's called Vegas 5 (it's from Sony, I believe, or... some other Japanese company with an American branch, and I think the next version's coming out now, so the older version's gone down in price).

All you really need is your "great idea", decent script-writing skills (you can check out some DVDs, like Buffy season 3 boxset I know has them, some have scripts for some of the episodes, so you can get a good idea of the formatting), some fellow fans/film enthusiasts that include, if not also a script-writer, an animator or two (some will be willing to work for free if they like the idea or are a friend, if only to gain experience), and/or some storyboarders and/or character designers (you around, you'll find people that are willing to storyboard or character design for either free or next to nothing) and some voice actors (trust me. They are a dime a dozen online and willing to work for free). That, and a LOT of dedication and free time. Oh, and getting royalty-free copies of music and sound effects or being able to create your own is good, nay, necessary as well. If you get a good set of software, you can mix some decent audio, mix your animation with it, do subtitles, etc., and burn it to DVD. Actual DVD discs cost something like $1.00-$2.00 each, retail, if you buy them in 100 packs in places like Office Depo or Staples, a single-disc DVD case is usually $1.00 each from what I've seen, in five packs or more, and you can get the labels and DVD covers for about $0.25 a piece if you buy those in packages the same way (keep in mind, your MSRP should be a lot more than the cost of production; you need to at least double your cost of production for the wholesale cost - preferably slightly more to also allow for bulk discounts - and double that for the MSRP, or you AND the retailers willing to sell copies of it - assuming there are any - will make pretty much zippo).

If you're not willing to do that or at least go to film school... then stop planning to be a writer for "anime", because you won't get there without working. Wink

Quote:

My advice? Go to film school. Learn about the process. If you're interested in television production, that's the best thing you can do - and it's the only way anyone will ever take you seriously.

Yep. Either that or indie stuff. Smile

It amazes me though how few people realize that you need to work to be a successful writer or creator of pretty much anything. Even webcomic people write and draw/animate (and/or record, if it has audio) their stuff, and that's not always easy (well, it is sometimes, but only if you do it half-arsed. GOOD stuff takes work Smile ).

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:15 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Detention? Detain this!

I think that someone has prior art on that particular "joke"...

I live on the Sane Side of the Pond, myself, but that doesn't deter me from entering.

- abunai
Good job "Gunslinger Girls" was done well after this sad event, otherwise it would have been accused of being the No. 1 cause. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2