• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chrome Shelled Regios DVD Parts 1 and 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Some online dealers are not shipping the regular edition until the LE version has sold out.

That seems a bit heavy handed to me. I can understand the thinking behind this idea since most people are probably going to be more interested in the cheaper standard option and those retailers spent more on the LE versions themselves, but the point of doing limited editions is to give people who want those extras a chance to buy them, and those that don't the option to just buy the show. It's about giving an option. Holding out until the LE versions are gone is either going to push customers to other retailers or make them avoid the show until it gets cheaper.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
I only skimmed the review (I agree with some points, disagree with others, and am waiting for the last few novels to be translated, because, really, the series needs a second season to explain things), but one thing I had a problem with...

Quote:
pronounced “dee-tays”

Is that how it's pronounced in the dub? Because the Japanese version pronounces it "dight" (rhymes with "white"), as does the Opening song.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and the series doesn't pass up on a chance for an “excuse for swimsuits“ episode.

Don't forget the 'maids' episodes, which I know happened a lot sooner because I couldn't get past that one. Having watched the first few episodes on Funimation online, it was interesting at first, but by the time it reached the episode revolving around maid fetishism, a stereotypical gay manager, capped off with tasteless women boob-grabbing, it was an automatic dealbreaker for me. So close, but no cigar.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
Greed1914: I don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean, we're talking a $5 difference here (or $3.75 if on RightStuf, or merely $3 during a sale). Having the two REs or the Part 1 LE and Part RE take up the exact same amount of space on your shelf.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
I, myself, enjoyed this series but I can agree with you that the ending was weak. I didn't really find a part that was bored so that right there is a plus already.. And I l really only rate a series like this: Boring = F+
Not Boring = A+
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't get past the first 2 or so episodes. If I had the "Restoration" ability, I would not use it on a sword. Give me an assault rifle or at least a shotgun any day. But yeah, as soon as I saw they were going into cliche harem antics, this got dropped, and I haven't heard anything that would make me want to pick this up.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I agree with this review. I had no idea how the Saya person fitted into the storyline, and the ending left me confused. Still, I enjoyed it. The last few action scenes in the last 2-3 episodes were pretty cool. Again, I agree with the review when it said nothing felt resolved except Layfon's problems. It's enjoyable, and I think I'll give it a Very Good.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Greed1914: I don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean, we're talking a $5 difference here (or $3.75 if on RightStuf, or merely $3 during a sale). Having the two REs or the Part 1 LE and Part RE take up the exact same amount of space on your shelf.

But it represents a lack of choice on the part of those retailers. If I decide that the little extra isn't worth it, I'm going to look elsewhere. Considering how hard it is for anime to make money these days, I don't think it's a good idea to limit sales in such a way. Value is completely based on consumer perception. $5 is nothing if I deem the extra item to be worth it or perceive it as a bargain, but if I don't want it then I'm being asked to pay for something I didn't want.

I probably wouldn't see the problem with it if the LE represented the first however many units and then the cheaper standard editions were made available later. But as it stands now, both are available at the same time, so it comes off badly in my view. Game companies and retailers have gotten behind the idea of offering LE versions of certain titles, but they don't withhold the standard version until the LE sell out, they let the consumer make their choice and then make adjustments based on what sells. I've read numerous complaints about people not wanting to pay for a particular audio track since they don't use it, but the DVDs are only made one way, customers aren't expected to clean out the dual audio versions so others can get versions with single audio tracks that were already made and just sitting in a warehouse.

I'm not against the idea of LE versions at all. I've been known to shell out for certain titles myself, but each time I was allowed to make the choice when two versions were available at the same time.

At the risk of going off on a tangent when the bigger topic is the show itself, I'll conclude by saying that I've made my opinion of this business tactic known and leave it at that.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A Blu-Ray version does not, at this time, seem to be offered.
It didn't have a Blu-Ray release in Japan either, so at least this isn't one of those "Blu-Ray in Japan and rips everywhere, but only DVD in North America" series.

I've got nothing against a good harem comedy now and then, or all the time for that matter. But for an ostensibly action-oriented series, Regios had way too many "cooking/delivering lunch boxes of love" scenes.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Heard too much razzing on this series. Why couldn't Funi have just saved the money?!?!
Or, better yet, used it to make an actual Blue Gender BD release. I wouldn't care if it was just an upscale, at least it'd be better than wasting it on dubbing this.

If anyone knows anyone giving this series some praise tell me, because so far, Funi has surprised me on the same level as Sentai did when they licensed Kampfer!(Thank God, they didn't give it a dub!)
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, this is one of the worst animé series, I am surprised that it got "C" mark (though I should not be surprised since Theron is always too nice guy towards animé).

These horrible cliché, dead characters, ridiculous "superhero" effects "weapons"/poses/screams/nonsensical babbling, idiotic plot sequences, endless and pointless cake eating/fan-service stuff -- all of this is super-irritating.
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
If anyone knows anyone giving this series some praise tell me,

I only watched cause I randomly got the art book. lasted untill ep 20ish cause I knew there's wasn't an 'ending' in site
Zrana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Heard too much razzing on this series. Why couldn't Funi have just saved the money?!?!

From a discussion I once had with a man who (at least at the time) had a hand in licensing agreements at funi, sometimes there are series that they don't really have a choice. They don't always get one series at a time in those agreements, but bundles. "We'll let you have this and this, but you have to take THIS as well," type stuff.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

From a discussion I once had with a man who (at least at the time) had a hand in licensing agreements at funi, sometimes there are series that they don't really have a choice. They don't always get one series at a time in those agreements, but bundles. "We'll let you have this and this, but you have to take THIS as well," type stuff.

Oh, I see. That would make further sense as to why and how they've picked up some of ADV's lesser series too...

Still, they didn't have to pull the whole new "Limited Edition" gimmick, did they?
Ah, well...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Still, they didn't have to pull the whole new "Limited Edition" gimmick, did they?
Ah, well...

Chances are ALL new releases are getting Limited Edition versions. FUNimation can't just go "ah, we won't do it for this one because we didn't like it", since that would be unfair to those who DID like it.

Anyway, I already have Part 1 since I liked the cover (and those manga-like pictures inside the thinpacks rule) and the trailer looked decent, hopefully I'll find it at least tolerable. When I'll get around to ordering Part 2, that's another matter.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1