• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Asahi Top 100 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:39 am Reply with quote
Either the hardcore otakus are not voting, or moe is not as "in" in Japan as it's made to be. Although, Air, Pani Poni Dash, and Negima made it in the lesser representative poll. It could be that they gathered all their loving energy and gave it to Futari wa Precure and other magical girl shows.

Also, SJ shows can't help it but be stretched into gazillions of eps, so of course gazillions of eps will make something more memorable years down the road. Where are the short and sweet? --the late-night anime with high production values? Some people mentioned that because of Tom & Jerry this really isn't an anime poll. Well, even without Tom & Jerry this would still be a cartoon poll. Cartoons, are after all, safe for children, and aired in primetime slots, like the shows here. I have respect for the kinds of shows listed here, but frankly they don't have the craziness, violence or fanservice with which I'd like to classify my anime.
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
Selected thoughts on the list:

1. Mobile Suit Gundam (A good choice for first. As apparently flawed as it is at times, nothing made after it in the sci-fi anime genre could have happened without it. And although I question exactly how precedent the sci-fi genre is over anime, I understand this choice as going by influence (sorry, but Fullmetal IS the best anime IMO).)
2. Dragonball (Understandable. Even if I like it even less than Mobile Suit Gundam, it allowed some of my favorite shows to get on the air, so it deserves to be in the Top 10 at least.)
4. One Piece (If anybody objects to this being here, 4KIDS HAS ROTTED YOUR MINDS!!!)
5. Lupin III (I'd have this a bit higher, if only in consolation for lack of Bebop.)
6. Detective Conan (Another show severely underrated stateside.)
7. Sazae-san (Now, I haven't seen this show, but hasn't it run longer than Doraemon, and has better ratings with adults? If so, maybe it should switch places with Doraemon.)
8. Slam Dunk (Hmm, so I guess Toei has ended up rotting my mind, because I never imagined this being so popular.)
12. Uchuu Senkan Yamato (Probably should be in the Top 10, especially if we're going by, yes, influence.)
14. Naruto (Though better than most overrated shows, Naruto is still overrated. A place in the top 25 would be deserving, but the top 15 seems a bit much for a show like this.)
16. Soreike! Anpanman (Saw some of the merchandise at Anime Boston. If a show about bread can get so popular, does this mean good things for Bobobo?)
18. Sailor Moon (No matter how hard you can try to cloud it with nostelgia, this was a mediocre show. But seeing as this chart seems to be done by influence, it should be somewhere in the top 15. Maybe switch with Naruto.)
20. Fullmetal Alchemist (Seeing as quality plays at least a bit into this listing, Top 5. Move NOW!)
22. Neon Genesis Evangelion (Being so overrated, I'm refreshed to not see it at #1 for once. Still, the only sensible reason it placed this low is that the list is focused more on older shows, so that even A-grade newcomers are placed lower.)
26. Astro Boy (Probably should be higher. I don't really agree with lists that put him at #1 due to the "first is best" mentality, but when stuff like Annapan beats it, it's a bit embarassing.)
29. Dr. Slump (Near-perfect placement. A show that hasn't had much industry impact or fanbase, but started the career of a great manga-ka and was quite a hoot itself.)
33. Black Jack (One of Tezuka's most underrated achievements. I'm happy it got on here.)
39. Ultimate Muscle (W...T...F...)
40. Ranma 1/2 (I'd have placed Urusei Yatsura above it, but in terms of actual placement on the list, they got it about perfect.)
44. Pokemon (You knew it was coming.)
52. Urusei Yatsura (As I said, should be higher.)
53. Cutey Honey (Although it should be higher, at least it wasn't mentioned twice.)
56. Ghost in the Shell -Stand Alone Complex- (I thought GitS was a bomb in Japan. I'm happy that it got on here at all.)
59. Inuyasha (Doesn't really deserve to be on the list at all, and if it does, it should be somewhere in the 70s, 80s, or 90s. A good show and all, but severely overrated and not Rumiko's best work.)
63. Tetsujin 28 (I'm amazed it got so low, being such a powerful influence and giant robots being so hip in Japan.)
66. Rurouni Kenshin (It deserves it slot, but Inu-Yasha should be below it.)
69. Card Captor Sakura (WHAT? We don't have any CLAMP until #69!?! Blasphemy!)
80. Maison Ikkoku (I'm annoyed, but not surprised, that Rumiko's 2nd best work is the lowest on the list.)
85. Tom and Jerry (OK, I know Tom and Jerry are huge in Japan, and they are decent cartoons, but out of all the American cartoons in the world, couldn't they have picked something better?)
86. Gatchaman (Higher than on the last list, but it still should be a bit higher.)

If I was going to do the Top 25, I'd do this on the basis of influence (including American cartoons, so things I said would be higher on the previous list might not be as high):
1) Looney Tunes
2) Mobile Suit Gundam
3) Dragonball
4) The Simpsons
5) Lupin III
6) Urusei Yatsura
7) Gatchaman
8) Neon Genesis Evangelion
9) Sailor Moon
10) Batman: The Animated Series
11) The Flintstones
12) Cutey Honey
13) Mickey Mouse
14) Astro Boy
15) Ren and Stimpy
16) Sazae-San
17) Battle Spaceship Yamato
18) Cardcaptor Sakura
19) Tenchi Muyo
20) St. Seiya
21) Tiny Toon Adventures
22) Bubblegum Crisis
23) Ahh! My Goddess
24) Cowboy Bebop
25) X

And by quality:
1) Fullmetal Alchemist
2) The Simpsons
3) Samurai Jack
4) Cowboy Bebop
5) Looney Tunes
6) One Piece
7) Paranoia Agent
8) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
9) Futurama
10) Neon Genesis Evangelion
11) Batman: The Animated Series
12) Fruits Basket
13) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
14) Invader ZIM
15) Samurai Champloo
16) FLCL
17) Pinky and the Brain
18) Azumanga Daioh
19) Family Guy
20) Rocko's Modern Life
21) Justice League Unlimited
22) Kodocha
23) Naruto
24) Aqua Teen Hungerforce
25) Excel Saga
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:12 am Reply with quote
Mugen The Great wrote:
56. Ghost in the Shell -Stand Alone Complex- (I thought GitS was a bomb in Japan. I'm happy that it got on here at all.)

As far as I know, GITS:SAC is very popular in Japan (relatively, of course - it appeals to a much smaller audience than OP, FMA, Gundam and the others.). I'm actually surprised it didn't score higher.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
For #75, is it really Eat-Man, becuase I saw another version of the list say Eight-Man/8-Man. I really hope it is Eat-Man on the list, though. It really should be.
milcor1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, if this is the top 100 animes in Japan, that's pretty pathetic. Shows anime is just a cash cow industry.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
This is nothing more than a popularity poll.
Definitely. If Detectice Conan was a better show than Fullmetal Alchemist or NGE, I'd freak, even if DC is long running and hugely popular.

A few more things: I'm really not surprised Gundam comes out first, that's a whole category by itself. Hamtaro eh...? I remember watching a few shows on that list when I was a kid, such as Cardcaptor Sakura, Dragonball, YuYu Hakusho, oh and definitely Sailor Moon. I'm surprised, I should have gotten into anime earlier.

Last edited by .Sy on Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Not to insult anyone, but it seems like people call it a popularity poll just becuase the shows THEY like aren't higher on the list. If anything, it's half-popularity/half-success list.

I don't see why people can't seem to believe that stuff like Conan, chances are, is much more popular than stuff like FMA and NGE in Japan.

Of course, complaints are understandable, but I do get a sense of "Sore Loser" in some of the replies.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
No offense, Mugen the Great, but cartoons like Rocko's Modern Life are the reason I hate American cartoons. No characters are allowed to be likeable in their struggle to be more annoying, and there is no sense of continuity whatsoever.

Now Beast Wars... THAT was a good show, perhaps the best in US history if you aren't a Simpsons mark... I'm definitely NOT a Simpsons mark, but I can understand why people like the OLD Simpsons episodes so much (the newer ones are god-awful if you ask me).

For me, Beast Wars is the only American cartoon that can possibly compare to an anime. I wish the current Transformers anime were as good as Beast Wars was.

Now, I look at this list, and I see many mediocre titles. Detective Conan? I cannot understand why that show is so popular. Same with Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, Pokemon, Yugioh, and Sailor Moon, which are what people outside of the circle often associate anime with. These are the reason people often make fun of anime. In other words, this list seems more like a list of ammo for the people who dislike anime to THESE eyes, even if these really are the hottest anime at the moment.

I'm happy to see that Full Metal Alchemist has such a nice spot here, though.

To Hagakure Returns: Donnie Darko bombed. It later caught on with a crowd that loved it. That's why I was comparing Cowboy Bebop and Trigun to Donnie Darko.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Not to insult anyone, but it seems like people call it a popularity poll just becuase the shows THEY like aren't higher on the list. If anything, it's half-popularity/half-success list.

I don't see why people can't seem to believe that stuff like Conan, chances are, is much more popular than stuff like FMA and NGE in Japan.

Of course, complaints are understandable, but I do get a sense of "Sore Loser" in some of the replies.

Agreed.

It sounds to me like all the hardcore geeks are upset just because, Surprise, Japan's general public is just like America's general public! They prefer lighthearted, accessible entertainment and don't want to have to think too hard when watching cartoons! I suppose Asahi TV now owes American fandom an apology for shattering their precious image of Japan as some kind of culturally superior megatopia where everyone is dedicated to high art and intellectualism? Laughing
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
Also Dragon Ball Z is just call dragon ball in japan. So your assume is wrong as Dragon Ball cover everything fro DB to DBZ.

With the manga, that's true, but the anime was split into three distinct TV series: Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. The split was the same in the US as it was in Japan. Check here if'n ya don't believe me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unforg1ven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:44 pm Reply with quote
26. Fist of the North Star

Well Deserved, Hokuto no Ken gets the respect it deserves. People here in the states only no of it as a pointless blood fest, but if you watch the whole anime series(152 eps.)/read the whole manga, you'll change your mind.

Long Live FOTNS/HnK!!!!
jay saenz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Interesting list... i respect the choices made by the japanese fans, after all, they know more about anime than me. But i m glad that at least i ve seen about 50% of that list.

BTW: i also think that FMA is a great anime... but i m surprise that it made it to the No 1 spot over all time classics like Gundam or Yamato.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Hmm..I'm assuming this list only includes anime aired on TV. If it included movies I imagine that about half the Ghibli films would be taking up about half of the top 20. I'm dissappointed that there isn't any Tenchi on there, as it's my personal favorite, but if they are only counting TV anime, I can see why, the first two OAVs were beautiful. Also, there are several other magnificent OAVs that I'm sure would have made the top 100 list. I'm surprised at some of the shows that outranked others. The second list seems a bit more..realistic. FMA was not one of my favorite series despite it's beautiful animation and at times I feel it's a bit overrated.

*is now two cents poorer*
Iemander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote
I'm actually impressed the entire list isn't made up after DBZ clones, I wouldn't have been too surprised if NGE wasn't even on that list.
Gauss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:43 am Reply with quote
Emil Scherbe wrote:
I think the popularity of Moomin for Japanese audience
is come from early series(1969-70, 1972).

But I heard early series was not welcomed from original author
Tove Jansson.

Yeah, originally they had taken considerable liberties with her stories so that the anime would be more appealing to a Japanese audience. Tove complained so the studio began to follow her books more closely and, well, then the show bombed.

However, I wouldn't count out the Moomin show made in the 90's. It does seem to have won a steady following in Japan.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5