• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Free! Swimming Anime Unveils 2 Female Characters, New Visual

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
>Nichijou
>Not good

Lying's a sin, dear Ryan.

Nichijou wasn't very good to me. Still better than Tamako, but it was pretty much nothing but nonsense comedy and the characters weren't developed at all and had terrible designs. Why would I enjoy that show when there are other comedy shows out there with far better characters? Ika Musume, Nyaruko and Milky Holmes all surpass it as far as comedy anime go.

Nichijou had some of the best character designs of any KyoAni show in my opinion. The artstyle was unique, different, and perfectly suited to the action happening on screen.

Unlike most anime "comedies", Nichijou was actually funny, and didn't resort to dumb ecchi "jokes" that aren't funny to anyone. Also the OP was GODLIKE.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Seriously you don't have to like Clannad but bashing Fuuko when you apparently don't understand anything about her role in the story is just idiotic.

There are much, much better examples of "otaku pandering" out there.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
lloydz wrote:
No sale. Can't have females interfering with the BL.

Was seriously almost convinced that this anime would have an absence of women until today. I also don't follow news on it that closely either though.
Y'know, that makes you look almost (not as, but almost) as intolerant as the guys complaining about shirtless dude fan service. Not all men are gay, and expecting the entire cast of a show to be so just to tickle your fancy is unrealistic, and it further fetishizes and others people who are attracted to their own sex. As a big supporter of the LGBT movement, i despise the homogenizing and fetishizing of gay men and lesbian women.

So there's straight romance. So what? You deal with it in real life, so deal with it in a slice-of-life show. Variety is, after all, the spice of life.

Thank you. I actually really wanted to hear that. I'm a woman, and I'm not gay, but this is exactly what I wanted to say.

Last edited by mewpudding101 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
so in short because you couldn't wank to the characters is was a horrible show?? Gotcha

Wow, that's really, um, uncalled for. People can refer to characters as unattractive without meaning "sexually" unattractive. Like I think the new character designs they made for Zettai Karen Children Unlimited were very unattractive. Not because it made Hyoubu look like an old man and I love him (DAMN YOU MANGLOBE), but because it made ALL of the characters look visually unappealing with their inexplicable twisty turny hair like Medusa and huge chins and chin lines.

I might not be a guy or anything, but there is visual unattractiveness in all forms of art. For example, I'm not a huge fan of Picasso! I don't really like looking at his works! It's unattractive to me! And if someone made a whole anime with Picasso art, I probably wouldn't watch it! Because it's not attractive to me!

Hell, sometimes I pick up manga just because the cover is pretty. Anime is an art based on sight- If that is ruined for one person, then that one person's entire experience might be ruined.

Last edited by mewpudding101 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
so in short because you couldn't wank to the characters is was a horrible show?? Gotcha

Well thats a crude way to put it, but the character designs are one of the most important things to me in anime. If the designs are bad, it will really hurt my enjoyment of a show. Stuff like Ika Musume, Milky Holmes and Nyaruko have much more attractive character designs, so coupled with the comedy being more funny, that makes them better shows in my opinion.

For an example, Yuyushiki also suffers from this for the current season. Its content is good enough, but the character designs are very offputting so it pretty much kills the rest of the show for me.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote

Oh rly?? Well i'm just trying to prove a point is all and Ryan already answered my question to back it up.

No... I really don't think you get it, and you're going to keep on looking down on him, even if we are civilized people about it.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

Oh rly?? Well i'm just trying to prove a point is all and Ryan already answered my question to back it up.

No... I really don't think you get it, and you're going to keep on looking down on him, even if we are civilized people about it.

I'm not looking down on him, I'm just calling him out on b.s. while making a masturbation joke. If I truly wanted to be a pr*** believe me i would start acting like one. All i'm trying to prove is that if a series doesn't have attractive cute girls=shit. I thought the girls in nichijou where cute and drawn very well in a great stylized form of animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not looking down on him, I'm just calling him out on b.s. while making a masturbation joke. If I truly wanted to be a pr*** believe me i would start acting like one. All i'm trying to prove is that if a series doesn't have attractive cute girls=shit. I thought the girls in nichijou where cute and drawn very well in a great stylized form of animation.

You can want cute characters without looking at them in a sexual way. I want characters that make me smile when I look at them and give me a moe feeling, like with most other KyoAni works. The characters in Nichijou didn't give me any feeling like that... they existed for little more than for joke gimmicks and had no development or reason for me to care about them, along with their character designs not being cute at all.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't know about other girls but I'm kinda glad that there are two female characters in the show. Anime smile Variety is always welcomed.
I'm sure both of them will be supporting characters.

Make Gou Matsuoka secretly ships her brother with Haruka. Wink

And regarding the KyoAni thing, so what if KyoAni's original fanbase only consisted of otaku? I agree, its' shows like Haruhi and K-ON which brought them to what they are now, but seriously, just because they make ONE fujoshi show, it's not the end of the world lol. Rolling Eyes It's not like they're abandoning the otaku. They're just trying something new. That's not a crime. They are entitled to do what they want to do.

And, they're making Kyokai no Kanata AND there's Chuunibyou season 2.

And really, so what if for one season, you don't have a KyoAni moe anime(nothing against moe, I loved K-On) one season. There are still AT LEAST 6 or 7 moe anime to look forward to.

Peace.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Maybe they want to do more than just pander to the lowest common denominator?

But that's not what KyoAni does. Maybe you're looking for XEBEC or ARMS or feel or Hoods.

You're goddamn right; KyoAni only panders to an elite fanbase of schlock-devouring shut-ins.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
musouka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Gou looks cute. I'm actually happy to see a sibling in this show as (non-eroticized) sibling relationships are some of my favorites!

Also, I'd worry about my brother....'s teeth, too.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see this show is going to have multiple genders interacting, and that it won't be entirely about fan service. As a straight dude, this definitely puts it on my radar, and perhaps it will be an entertaining little gem in the vein of "Ouran High School Host Club" or "Black Butler" (both things that I deeply enjoyed.)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Its "funny" was just being as random as possible.

"HE SUPLEXED A DEER!!! LOLOLOL"

No, thats not funny. Its dumb. And the character designs were bare bones with barely any kind of unique features and they weren't drawn in a way that would make the characters attractive at all.

SO in other words everything must follow your style of humor exactly or it sucks.

Also, I really cannot see why you dislike the character designs. They were well-done in my opinion.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, generally people don't like comedy shows if it doesn't appeal to their sense of humor.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
My point is that your entire reasoning for Nichijou being a bad show is "I don't like the humor".

That's not a reason for it being a bad show, it's just a reason for YOU not liking the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7