• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Free! Swimming Anime Unveils 2 Female Characters, New Visual

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
lloydz wrote:
No sale. Can't have females interfering with the BL.

Was seriously almost convinced that this anime would have an absence of women until today. I also don't follow news on it that closely either though.
Y'know, that makes you look almost (not as, but almost) as intolerant as the guys complaining about shirtless dude fan service. Not all men are gay, and expecting the entire cast of a show to be so just to tickle your fancy is unrealistic, and it further fetishizes and others people who are attracted to their own sex. As a big supporter of the LGBT movement, i despise the homogenizing and fetishizing of gay men and lesbian women.

So there's straight romance. So what? You deal with it in real life, so deal with it in a slice-of-life show. Variety is, after all, the spice of life.

Thank you! As a straight female who is also a supporter of the LGBT community I agree 100% with this. My main problem with most yaoi/yuri is the fetishizing aspect of it.

I wasn't really that interested in this show before when it was just all males, but know that there are going to be some female characters to help balance out the cast a little I may check it out.

While well-intentioned and appreciated, the several admitted straight people in this thread who find the idea of works with multiple same-sex couples inherently offensive or exploitative are off the mark. As someone who actually is LBGT, I'll thank you not to dismiss yuri and yaoi so readily. These genres serve as an invaluable outlet and sanctuary for LGBT people.

You're right Apollo-kun, we sure do have to "deal with" heterosexuality continually being shoved in our faces in real life, but that doesn't mean we should have to in our fiction, not all the time. There IS a place and a need for media with exclusively gay and lesbian themes, which people (of any sexual orientation) can turn to when they want a space just for that, and away from the endless blaring party heterosexual people are having about their own preferences 24/7/365.

Dismissing yaoi and yuri works just because some of them are sleazy and tasteless? You wouldn't discount all het romance for that reason though, would you? You're only focusing on one facet. Both yuri and yaoi have many tasteful, thoughtful and well-written works on what it means to be in a same-sex relationship - and yes, there are many such works that happen to feature multiple same-sex couples.

However, nor is it the case that everything has to be a masterpiece. We also enjoy guilty pleasures, fanservice, and wish fulfillment. Not everything is either a soulful, earnest depiction of LGBT life OR worthless trash pandering only to fetish culture. There is a continuum between those extremes, along which you can find many works that, if perhaps not art, are at least still very much entertainment.

The point is, sometimes LGBT people really do get tired of having to "deal with it", tired of having to act like we're getting thrown a treat when there are one or two token LGBT couples in works with loads and loads of het. Sometimes we want things that are indeed aimed just at us, just for us. We're grateful for your support, but broadly attacking yaoi and yuri does not serve our interests.

Last edited by Cryssoberyl on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:48 am; edited 5 times in total
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:15 am Reply with quote
While I don't think there's the slightest thing wrong with being interested and/or excited at the presence of opposite sex members of the cast, I do think some of the people commenting should be a little more careful with their phrasing. Things like this:

050795 wrote:

I wasn't really that interested in this show before when it was just all males, but know that there are going to be some female characters to help balance out the cast a little I may check it out.

Possibly don't make you look as open and non-prejudiced as you might think...
NefariousPlatypus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:16 am Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:
While well-intentioned and appreciated, the several admitted straight people in this thread who find the idea of works with multiple same-sex couples inherently offensive or exploitative are off the mark. As someone who actually is LBGT, I'll thank you not to dismiss yuri and yaoi so readily. These genres serve as an invaluable outlet and sanctuary for LGBT people.

You're right Apollo-kun, we sure do have to "deal with" heterosexuality continually being shoved in our faces in real life, but that doesn't mean we should have to in our fiction, not all the time. There IS a place and a need for media with exclusively gay and lesbian themes, which people (of any sexual orientation) can turn to when they want a space just for that, and away from the 24/7/365 endless blaring party heterosexual people are having about their own preferences.

Dismissing yaoi and yuri works just because some of them are sleazy and tasteless? You wouldn't discount all het romance for that reason though, would you? You're only focusing on one facet. Both yuri and yaoi have many tasteful, thoughtful and well-written works on what it means to be in a same-sex relationship - and yes, there are many such works that happen to feature multiple same-sex couples.

The point is, sometimes LGBT people really do get tired of having to "deal with it", tired of having to act like we're getting thrown a treat when there are one or two token LGBT couples in works with loads and loads of het. Sometimes we want things that are indeed aimed just at us, just for us. We're grateful for your support, but broadly attacking yaoi and yuri does not serve our interests.

Do we even officially know what this show will be? I mean, I'm guessing it's safe to assume it's not Yaoi. Do we know for sure it's not Shounen-ai either? It's crazy to think that something so mild that it's potentially not even BL can incite such fervent reaction. (I think it'd be kinda hilarious if the trailers were completely misleading and the show ended up shoving the guys (and girls) to one side, and offered absolutely no fanservice to any demographic.)

With that said, as a gay guy, the one thing that I hope the show won't do is have gay leads that eventually "grow out of it/become straight." Just have them be straight from the get-go, or own their queerness like manly men. None of that gay-chicken shit.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote
NefariousPlatypus wrote:
With that said, as a gay guy, the one thing that I hope the show won't do is have gay leads that eventually "grow out of it/become straight." Just have them be straight from the get-go, or own their queerness like manly men. None of that gay-chicken shit.

If you are expecting actual homosexual characters as the leads in Free, you are bound to be disappointed. On the other hand, if you think that the presence of a younger sister and female teacher means there will definitely be heterosexual romance in play, you will be equally disappointed.

In a show about "friendship between guys", there are bound to be people excited about the possibilities of hooking them up, just like there would be just as much interest in a show with a predominantly female cast. It doesn't make it a BL show, but it makes it relevant to the interests of BL fans.
NefariousPlatypus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
NefariousPlatypus wrote:

If you are expecting actual homosexual characters as the leads in Free, you are bound to be disappointed. On the other hand, if you think that the presence of a younger sister and female teacher means there will definitely be heterosexual romance in play, you will be equally disappointed.

In a show about "friendship between guys", there are bound to be people excited about the possibilities of hooking them up, just like there would be just as much interest in a show with a predominantly female cast. It doesn't make it a BL show, but it makes it relevant to the interests of BL fans.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm keeping my expectations in check. All I hope for are no straight guys with a "gay phase."
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
The girls seem cute^^ They seem like the type of characters who won't get much screen time, though. I think it's jumping the gun to assume there will be romance of any kind in this series just based on a few character images and short promos.

Lol@ both extremes on this thread, btw. "Two girls doesn't make a difference! KyoAni has betrayed me by doing exactly the same thing they always do but with the genders swapped!" "Ew, women!? Het is so gross!" Laughing

Edit: Changed wording.
Cait

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I'm curious, people keep referring to this show as BL. Has there been even the faintest hint of this show being anything of a BL, or are we just pulling things out of our asses?

It is not BL. Shows with predominantly male casts lend themselves to being Fujoshi bait, whether they intend to be or not. This show seems to lean towards the intentional side, though I seriously doubt there will even be an inkling of "real" homosexuality between its characters. This will most probably be "slash fodder" at its finest, which seems in itself to be enough of a deal-breaker to those who don't like BL.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I'm curious, people keep referring to this show as BL. Has there been even the faintest hint of this show being anything of a BL, or are we just pulling things out of our asses?
DING! We finally have a winner here folks so all lines are now closed! Laughing

Lemon drizzled doujins will now be coming soon!. Look out for them! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7