• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I love Fullmetal Alchemist. Arakawa's rich, detailed world, complex storytelling, full characters, sharp and iconic art, well-examined themes, great battles, and memorable plot twists make it my second favorite manga. I used to carry volume 15 (the Ishbal war) with me wherever I went, as if it was my Bible (I wish Brotherhood would have done more of it... I compiled all the flashback clips and made my own little movie).

So glad there was an image of Ed's fight with Greed in the article. Greed was my favorite character!

Please no FMA1 TV vs FMA2 TV. They're both excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I tried to get into FMA so many times, under the impression that if it was so acclaimed then surely I was missing something special. Well, that may be the case, but I've long accepted the fact that another person's "rich world and incredible cast" are my "morally simplistic world and boringly uncomplicated cast".

BASARA really is an incredible series, though!
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Ah FMA one of the shining examples that shonen can be really good (and by that I mean it's a great way to make "ew-shounener's" shut the hell up when they say its all the same)

I'll admit, I haven't acctually read the manga, rather than stumbling upon brotherhood one night when I was expecting boondocks and I became instantly hooked. It's my favorite kind of series that REALLY knows when to be serious and remember to still let its audience have fun. While I feel more along the lines of "I'll get to it when I get to it" towards the 2003 anime *due to those annoying which series is better debates and me having been spoiled on how it ends* I really want to try and read the original manga from volume 1 and up just to to really dig down and scrape out those tiny nuggets of extra details.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love this manga. While I can't agree with everything it brings up, I still think it's a excellent work and the best of the shonen genre.

Its second adaptation is also the only anime I've ever watched with my parents. I was watching Brotherhood with my mother in an attempt to prove that anime could have as complicated and intriguing a storyline as any movie, play, etc. Around episode 27, I noticed my father on the couch behind us (who knows how long he'd been there!) and we made it through the entire 64 episodes without either of them losing interest.

Rambling aside, I have good memories of this series and it's still one of my favorites.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Amestris was named after the wife of Xerxes so the intention was to show a connection to the nation of Xerxes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amestris

Thank you for pointing that out! I totally missed that.

Quote:
As for the Iraq War itself, the Ishval civil war showed up in the manga a year before America invaded Iraq, and the manga predates 9/11. Arakawa has stated that she based the Ishvalans on the Ainu, and in the manga itself she stated that she interviewed Japanese veterans of World War II while the experimentation of the Ishvalans by the Amestrian government is taken from Unit 731 which a group of doctors who were drafted into preforming human experimentation on the Chinese. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Yuasa

Good point... someone else had suggested to me that the story element might be a way of dealing with Japanese war crimes. In a pseudo-European skin, of course... but ethnic identity is so blurry in the world of manga and anime.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
FMA is a total roller coaster and I love it! I've seen some people dismiss Gin no Saji because it's so different from FMA, but there's a reason why that series has won so many awards too so I think everyone should give it a try. Looking forward to the anime!
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope I'm not going off topic here, but reading your article, I could not stop thinking about Attack on Titan. I think it is still way too early to tell, but it looks like it has a lot of same elements that made FMA so successful. The biggest difference, at least in terms of exposure, is that American fans can watch the series at the same time as Japanese audiences.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Except Brotherhood was categorically not. Arguably it is partly the fault of the Anime staff - terrible pacing issues, that awful first episode, the crappy art, wildly whiplashing humour and drama, et cetera - but it's also partly due to Arakawa not paying enough attention at keeping her writing airtight. There, I said it. The Manga has loads of ambition and I respect it for that, for being more than another dumb Shounen story. But its writing quality is quite weak at times, especially at the end. The whole final arc with the battle/war at Central, including Father's stupidity and Hohenheim's BS plan that he sprang from his arse, made me incredibly angry at how bad it all was. Arakawa's story was a great one, very iconic, but it was also riddled with plot holes.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
brankoburcksen wrote:
I hope I'm not going off topic here, but reading your article, I could not stop thinking about Attack on Titan. I think it is still way too early to tell, but it looks like it has a lot of same elements that made FMA so successful. The biggest difference, at least in terms of exposure, is that American fans can watch the series at the same time as Japanese audiences.
FMA has about as much in common with AoT as it does with pretty much any shonen anime. If you're just talking about a more dark and mature shonen, I'd offer Death Note as a more apt comparison (at least it shares the same director as AoT).

Also, FMA Brotherhood was streamed at about the same time as the Japanese airing on Funimation's website.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
I love FMA! It was the first manga I read so it will always have a special place in my heart. I'm also a little surprised that people say they don't like the humor because it's great. Oh well I guess Hiromu Arakawa and I just have the same weird sense of humor.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote
FMA was great in all shapes and sizes, the first series was great, the 2nd was great, the manga was great, the games (curse of the crimson elixir in particular) were great, the side stories were great.

But sadly, a lot of manga purists, ie Brotherhood fans, are gonna be complete bitches to anything that's not completely faithful to the manga as if no matter what, manga is always better by default.
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

It's gonna happen (but I agree with you, they were both awesome in their own ways)

classicalzawa wrote:
I'm also in the "FMA was good, but not godly" camp. I probably finished the FMA manga maybe last winter (so early 2012ish)? I really enjoyed the first anime series, but for me, the manga was comparatively black and white, pardon the pun, with morality while I thought the 2003 anime was more grey and gray. I also thought the ending played it way too safe in regards to the main characters and I didn't quite feel that they had earned that ending. Too shonen tropey for me, left a bad taste in my mouth.

basically sums up my problems with the series.

Quote:
Just for the record, my two favorite shonen manga are Hikaru no Go (which is entirely about the characters) and Firefighter Daigo

Mine are Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and then I suppose and (after FMA though) Hunter x Hunter
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Except Brotherhood was categorically not. Arguably it is partly the fault of the Anime staff - terrible pacing issues, that awful first episode, the crappy art, wildly whiplashing humour and drama, et cetera
^^^This.

dtm42 wrote:
But its writing quality is quite weak at times, especially at the end.
^^^Also This.

The end of the manga just felt so *lazy*. It's the old cliche where spoiler[all the good guys get together and fight all the bad guys.] The rest of the manga was pretty light on the shonen tropes, only to have the end be a series of typical Shonen Jump style battles that last for too long. And at the very end, it pulls a Harry Potter and gives an un-needed epilogue.

That's one of the reasons why I prefer the original FMA anime - the ending is still not great, but in the context of the show, it's not nearly as disappointing as the manga.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
Thank you Jason for confirming that the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood anime is closer to the original manga. Though I love the first anime series parallel universe take ending with the Fullmetal Alchemist the Conquest of Shamballa movie. I have not read the original manga series I might look it up. My take on the first series was trying to figure out the historic diversion point of that world from ours. It took Joseph P. Farrell book The Philosophers Stone to find out their father was Paracellus the sixteenth century German Alchemist. Both anime series showed that important issues could be tacked in a adult way and to appeal to all age groups while not talking to them.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
Correction the last words should read talking down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4