• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NISA Adds Yuruyuri School Comedy Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
How are people okay with this, a show about MIDDLE SCHOOL girls with YURI overtones.

Because it's acceptable in Japan. Try not to let your prejudices affect you.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
How are people okay with this, a show about MIDDLE SCHOOL girls with YURI overtones.

Because it's acceptable in Japan. Try not to let your prejudices affect you.

Yuruyuri is explicitly not Class-S. Bringing up Class-S in reference to Yuruyuri is completely missing the entire point of the show.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yuruyuri is explicitly not Class-S. Bringing up Class-S in reference to Yuruyuri is completely missing the entire point of the show.

Haven't seen the show. Just responding to CK's blanket statement about middle school yuri.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
Yup, one thing I do like about Yuru Yuri is that (other than Chinatsu/Yui) it does not follow the standard Class S type of relationship that we get in a lot of school-yuri series.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
Love the new avatar Fencedude. The Love Live anime needed way more Niko-Maki. Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
I agree with Chagen's perspective on "real" vs "fan-pandering" yuri, but I disagree that YuruYuri is the latter. It's kind of a shame how successful it is compared to series that take their yuri content more seriously, though. YuruYuri is a slice-of-life comedy where many of the female characters have crushes on one another. This plays out like a romantic comedy, with very little emphasis on the romance. That's why it's yuru yuri. When Chinatsu goes on a date with her crush Yui, the humour is on her being flustered and making a mess of the occasion, not in any way that "hey, those two girls are on a date together!" The idea of romance between two girls is simply treated as normal.

YuruYuri's relative success is indicative of a trend towards otaku caring more about moe than legitimate romance between girls. But YuruYuri doesn't betray the latter notion; rather it simply doesn't weigh it very heavily. There's no reason it should take its romantic aspects between girls more seriously than any comedy should take its heterosexual romantic aspects. Maybe it shouldn't be in Comic Yuri Hime, I dunno. But it's not some traitor to the ideals of true yuri, it's just not a series that particularly goes out of its way to engage with its core ideals. Don't hate YuruYuri, hate the trend that propels its success above that of more serious yuri works. If every yuri series were like YuruYuri, then we'd have a problem. At the moment, we have the sad success of moe outselling yuri, and YuruYuri's weight between these two being a testament to that.

I like yuri. I like real yuri that focuses on the romantic relationships between two women. Octave is one of my favourite manga. I have Girl Friends on my shelf. I don't think of YuruYuri as a "yuri series", I think of it as one of my personal favourite slice-of-life comedies, and that's why I'm going to buy this release. The fact that many of its female characters are romantically interested in other female characters is on paper effective at expanding its range of character-based comedy, and less in degree but not in legitimacy provides more yuri-based enjoyment. Maybe it's not yuri enough, but there's nothing wrong with its yuri content except that it satisfies people with whom you - and I - disagree.

CrownKlown wrote:
Just explain one thing to me. How are people okay with this, a show about MIDDLE SCHOOL girls with YURI overtones.

Because there is nothing wrong with being gay. That is literally the entire answer to your question.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
Another thing is that the show really does treat middle school relationships with the gravitas they deserve: not much.

The only relationships among the main cast that I can see definitely going somewhere are Kyouko/Yui and Himawari/Sakurako

There is a reason when, in the second season, they officially introduced Akane and Tomoko, both of whom are actually adults (if just barely) Akane popped up and called it "Gachi Yuri".

And of course there is the ongoing mystery in Oomuro-ke over just which of her three friends Nadeshiko is dating.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The only relationships among the main cast that I can see definitely going somewhere are Kyouko/Yui and Himawari/Sakurako

Hmmm, I guess Rise doesn't count as the main cast. She really needed more screen-time.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm buying this. Got way too many summer-fall releases to invest my money on Embarassed

Still, dang. Was just bemoaning the lack of a Region 1 release a few days ago, and here we are. The first season was much better than the second. Very excited for this release.

*Ahem*

TOSHINO KYOKO!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

YuruYuri's relative success is indicative of a trend towards otaku caring more about moe than legitimate romance between girls. But YuruYuri doesn't betray the latter notion; rather it simply doesn't weigh it very heavily. There's no reason it should take its romantic aspects between girls more seriously than any comedy should take its heterosexual romantic aspects. Maybe it shouldn't be in Comic Yuri Hime, I dunno. But it's not some traitor to the ideals of true yuri, it's just not a series that particularly goes out of its way to engage with its core ideals. Don't hate YuruYuri, hate the trend that propels its success above that of more serious yuri works. If every yuri series were like YuruYuri, then we'd have a problem. At the moment, we have the sad success of moe outselling yuri, and YuruYuri's weight between these two being a testament to that.

If only there's a yuri title that somehow baits the otaku into thinking it's a cutesy moe slice-of-life, then reel them into a blooming yuri romance that leads up with the 2 girls confessing to each other, then kissing, and then finally ends with the 2 having intimate make-out sessions plus somewhat implied sex. Maybe that's what's missing in a lot of yuri anime; that lack of seeing real intimacy and passion between 2 girls. The yuri titles we have right now either takes way too long to get to that point (Strawberry Panic), cuts too short (Aoi Hana, Sasameki Koto), or has weird ass gimmicks that may scare off the viewers (Simoun, Blue Drop, Kannazuki no Miko, Kashimashi, Yamibou).
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
I'll be so buying it at the beginning of September or October.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
jymmy wrote:

If only there's a yuri title that somehow baits the otaku into thinking it's a cutesy moe slice-of-life, then reel them into a blooming yuri romance that leads up with the 2 girls confessing to each other, then kissing, and then finally ends with the 2 having intimate make-out sessions plus somewhat implied sex. Maybe that's what's missing in a lot of yuri anime; that lack of seeing real intimacy and passion between 2 girls. The yuri titles we have right now either takes way too long to get to that point (Strawberry Panic), cuts too short (Aoi Hana, Sasameki Koto), or has weird ass gimmicks that may scare off the viewers (Simoun, Blue Drop, Kannazuki no Miko, Kashimashi, Yamibou).

In all honesty, YuruYuri is more moe for the straight male crowd than a female-aimed yuri truly would be. Very few yuri portray real relationships, and those that do tend to get kind of messed up. They don't feel true to life, they feel pandering; there's also some creepy elements that tend to enter the fray (in many ways, resembling the non-consensual world of yaoi). I think this ties into the theory the Japanese have that 'onee-sama' /same sex attraction between girls is just a stage in adolescence, and not a legitimate occurrence. If we got an anime that actually treated the situation with realism and romance, and without any weird copouts or weak character writing, it'd be a real landmark, and none too soon in the making.
Alexander55

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:53 am Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
In all honesty, YuruYuri is more moe for the straight male crowd than a female-aimed yuri truly would be. Very few yuri portray real relationships, and those that do tend to get kind of messed up. They don't feel true to life, they feel pandering; there's also some creepy elements that tend to enter the fray (in many ways, resembling the non-consensual world of yaoi). I think this ties into the theory the Japanese have that 'onee-sama' /same sex attraction between girls is just a stage in adolescence, and not a legitimate occurrence. If we got an anime that actually treated the situation with realism and romance, and without any weird copouts or weak character writing, it'd be a real landmark, and none too soon in the making.

It's a series that is evenly enjoyed by both men and women in Japan. Just go online communities dedicated to this series and you're going to see a balanced gender ratio of the series.

Also, Namori, the Manga's author, is a women and takes pride in creating the series. Maybe its not a intensive drama between two girls but YuruYuri manages to give us an enjoyable comedy without sacrificing the yuri. Sure there are no fixed romantic ends between a subset of characters to date but you already know who likes who based on their reactions to one another.

Sakurako, Chinatsu and Akari are my favorite characters and SakurakoXHimawari is my favorite couple.

And yes, I will be added "Yuru Yuri" to my collection of all the Anime and games I've bought from NISA.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:04 am Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:

So this is the "homosexual relationships can only be used for SRSBSNS stories" thing again?

YRYR is pretty progressive because its entire setup depends on the idea that no one finds girl-girl relationships at all odd, unusual or whatever. They're just relationships. Generally silly and fluffy ones, but thats the point!

I can get SRSBSNS lesbian stuff elsewhere, and while I would like an anime that covered those themes, thats not the only thing I want from this genre.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:

Anime tends to really suck at romances in general. Yes, very few yuri potray real relationships. Hetero romances don't exactly fare much better.. The ratio may even be worse, since there's so many more but almost none of them are remotely realistic and many of them never even really get to the "relationship" part. Or it's "they confess/kiss, the end".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6