• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NISA Adds Yuruyuri School Comedy Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
In all honesty, YuruYuri is more moe for the straight male crowd than a female-aimed yuri anime truly would be. Very few yuri portray real relationships, and those that do tend to get kind of messed up. They don't feel true to life, they feel pandering; there's also some creepy elements that tend to enter the fray (in many ways, resembling the non-consensual world of yaoi). I think this ties into the theory the Japanese have that 'onee-sama' /same sex attraction between girls is just a stage in adolescence, and not a legitimate occurrence. If we got an anime that actually treated the situation with realism and romance, and without any weird copouts or weak character writing, it'd be a real landmark, and none too soon in the making.

Your comments show considerable insight into the more mainstream Japanese views on homosexuality, but there is also a considerable yuri manga community that engages with much more real, closer to "lesbian literature" yuri stories. There are many manga that are basically what you've said you wanted. Not a lot of them become anime, and that YuruYuri has been a notable one is kind of unfortunate in an evaluation of the yuri "scene" as a whole.

A lot of shows that toss in a yuri romance angle are probably going to engage with the Class-S idea, but a serious romance manga written by a lesbian for a more discerning audience is going to approach the idea of a girl having romantic feelings for another girl in a way much truer to life.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
It seems like people here are complaining that there is no: "OMG they're in lesbian relationship! Where's the angst?" ... "Why are they running around happily and not treated as outcasts!!??!" .. "It's not reall!!!"

The author, a woman writing for female targeted magazine, simply decided not to politicize lesbianism, nor put a spotlight on it, and instead treat it as no big deal--just like a hetero relationship, which itself is also not unnatural--allowing her to focus on the romantic comedy and slice-of-life aspects.

jet_ wrote:
Quote:
Yuruyuri S1 BD: locked subtitles + 'It is not intended to function in any other region' outside of US/CAN.

From WTK.
http://nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=ap&aid=yuruyuri

It's been that way unfortunately for most of NISA releases and likewise with some, or most now, of Funi's BD releases. However, these locked subs are not hardsubs so it is still possible to disable or separate the subtitles through software
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
OK, I have to relate this story.

Premise :

A second year Middle School Language Arts Class with 26 students, taught by a "Nearly Old Maid" Female Teacher with a noticeable "Hick" accent.

Due to the demographics of this particular second year this class has 25 girls and 1 boy. Laughter, Hijinks and no shortage of Angst ensue.

Now for the kicker.

spoiler[This was real. I was the boy.

The class was Mrs. Wolfe's Language Arts class in 1971 at my Oklahoma home town's Middle School. ( Mrs. Wolfe was from Weatherford, Texas and boy did she have an accent. )

Japanese style yuri couples, yep check that we had 'em. Even one yuri style "harem", but we'd have never thought to call it that. That class left me with a different opinion about girls, most certainly. Oh and it set me up for enjoying yuri stories later in life.]

Mark Gosdin
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:02 am Reply with quote
I love this series.

Since it starts with a "Y", adding it to my collection will be much easier.
partysmores

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOO. NIS America, I don't have any money...I just spent it all on those new Ghibli releases...

*sobs and continues to watch YuruYuri on Crunchyroll*

Oh, and I also have a question; is "YuruYuri" or "Yuru Yuri"? Because I originally was typing it as "YuruYuri" but everyone corrected me so I started typing it as "Yuru Yuri", now an official company is writing it as "YuruYuri"...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
It's ゆるゆり

Yuru Yuri or Yuruyuri are fine. I'm not a fan of putting random capital letters in the middle like YuruYuri, but there's no 'right' way to romanize it.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
The manga is the original work and JManga/ALC Publishing, the only people to have licensed it, spells it YuruYuri. Therefore the series is YuruYuri. That's the technically accurate answer, and I like the spelling, and Wikipedia uses it, so that's why I use it. Crunchyroll, who first licensed the anime, also used that romanisation. NIS America seems to be spelling it all in capitals, and, to be fair, the English text on the Japanese logo is "Y★R★Y★R★".
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
the English text on the Japanese logo is "Y★R★Y★R★".

So you think it should be YuRuYuRi?
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
How did you get that? I was using it to partly-justify NIS America's choice of all-caps. As I said, though, the official spelling in the official release of the original work (YuruYuri in JManga's release of the manga) is the only truly technically accurate choice. Well, unless the original work itself (in this instance, the Japanese release of the manga) specifies, but "Y★R★Y★R★" looks to be more decoration.

It's not really a big deal what you go with, I was just giving information.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609
Quote:

So this is the "homosexual relationships can only be used for SRSBSNS stories" thing again?

YRYR is pretty progressive because its entire setup depends on the idea that no one finds girl-girl relationships at all odd, unusual or whatever. They're just relationships. Generally silly and fluffy ones, but thats the point!

I can get SRSBSNS lesbian stuff elsewhere, and while I would like an anime that covered those themes, thats not the only thing I want from this genre.

Alexander55
Quote:

It's a series that is evenly enjoyed by both men and women in Japan. Just go online communities dedicated to this series and you're going to see a balanced gender ratio of the series.

Also, Namori, the Manga's author, is a women and takes pride in creating the series. Maybe its not a intensive drama between two girls but YuruYuri manages to give us an enjoyable comedy without sacrificing the yuri. Sure there are no fixed romantic ends between a subset of characters to date but you already know who likes who based on their reactions to one another.

Sakurako, Chinatsu and Akari are my favorite characters and SakurakoXHimawari is my favorite couple.

And yes, I will be added "Yuru Yuri" to my collection of all the Anime and games I've bought from NISA.

I really liked this anime, finding it a sweet and funny diversion (a bit like a fruit parfait). I will happily purchase it when it is released. I don't have a problem with this show; my comment was only intended to expand upon previous comments about the aim of the show, and the role of yuri as a genre in general.

I read the occasional yuri-themed manga (typically, older shoujo from the 70s to early 00s), and one thing I've noticed is that there is very little female demographic yuri being animated as an anime. It typically gets played up for fanservice purposes (not always, mind you), and is generally not taken very seriously. I think anime should be entertaining; I don't begrudge anyone their fun series here and there. All I'm saying is that I'd like to see a "truer" portrayal made sometime in the future, and without moeification of the characters, or the rapey connotations other couples in the fandom have. Something, I don't know, sweet and romantic. I've seen other shows portray interesting relationships without compromising character development; I'd like to see this done with yuri. I didn't mean to denounce YuruYuri.

By the way, I am a girl. I understand females may like the show Smile I do see how it would tend to draw male fans more, based on the success of previous series in a similar vein. That's all I meant~
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
What, you think we don't want that stuff?

Jesus.
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
YuruYuri is honestly a really funny show--mainly because all the girls have exceptional personalities aside from "token lesbian"--and I'm very happy that it got picked up for the sake of its English-speaking fanbase.

I wish I could support the release, but I ended up dropping the show for personal reasons after a couple of episodes, and even looking at the packaging is reminding me why I don't really want to buy it despite its overwhelmingly good qualities.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Every new announcement from NISA that isn't Chihayafuru kills me a little on the inside.

Congrats to the Yuruyuri fans though.

I feel completely the same way. Plus YURU YURI doesn't seem like a very NISA like title. But my brother loves this show for some reason so maybe I'll get it for him, and the beautiful NISA artbox and booklet for me. Those alone are worth the price tag.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6