• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Level Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
Well, disappointed to see Phantom such a low-rating, seeing as I've been really interested in it lately and have been planning to pick it up soon. Confused This is the first review I've seen to flat-out dog on the show.

Meh, I'm still gonna buy it anyway. I think I'll really enjoy it.
TC-man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

Also, it is interesting to note that Men in Black, which I found quite funny, came out in 1997, two years after Level E debuted in manga... Makes you wonder if some American movie producers read manga back in the day?

I think the Men in Black movies were based on the comic books with the same name which came out in 1990.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
I personally enjoyed Phantom and found it entertaining, but I understand anybody did not. It's the old story: if you are basically onboard with something, it is easier to be charitable about flaws. If you're not, those flaws become insurmountable obstacles to enjoyment. Phantom has a slick visual look and pretty decent action scenes. Unlike Erin, I prefer watching brainwashed flesh machines attempting to regain their stolen humanity and free will as opposed to the more typical "proud assassin" route.

Also, bagging on the series for being "predictable" because Zwei falls for Ein or because he turns against the people responsible for making him a merciless killing machine is exactly the kind of achingly trite observation I've unfortunately come to expect from Erin. Yeah, I guess the anime could have been "unpredictable" and had Zwei remain a brainwashed killer for Inferno without having any conflict with them. Gosh, that's the stuff of high drama, isn't it? The "romance" between Zwei and Ein is open to negative comments because of the way it was handled, but it was also what gave the series some juice for me. I wanted to see if these two krazy kids would make it, even though I had a pretty good idea how it would play out in the end.

Anyway for a far less superficial review of the first half of Phantom (and one that acknowledges strengths as well as weaknesses) check out Bamboo's take.
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:21 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

Anyway. "Full Frontal". That must count as Engrish, right?

Surprisingly not. Laughing Sinterniklaas at some point (can't remember if it was an ANN article or when I met him at an event in Edinburgh) had a chuckle about this. Keeping the original name not only gets the feeling and purpose of the name's origins across, but also makes me extremely happy ever time I hear it!
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

As for the color rangers arc, it just seemed like it was trying to parody something that might have been ripe for the picking in 1995, but is already so far gone that it serves as a self-parody now. It just doesn't bring the funny the way it might have when the Power Rangers were still fresh and shiny.

Sentai series haven't been new since the seventies. They're like the macaroni and cheese of Japanese television for kids. It's simple, timeless, everyone knows it. New series are still being produced so I don't see why it can't be made fun of anymore.

It's the same with the other half of the Color Rangers episodes, Dragon Quest. Sure, Dragon Quest VII finally came out in 2000, but the Japanese still love the series. It sells better with each and every installment.
vifam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote

Last edited by vifam on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
Wow... Erin seems to have mised over 90% of the jokes and pokes at Japanese media present in Level E. Can't say I'm surprised, she's not very experienced in anime. And about the character designs, she'd probably have a heart attack if she saw Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Not much talk about the humor either... a veryy poor "review". But hey, it's Erin, I'm used to it.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
zensunni wrote:

As for the color rangers arc, it just seemed like it was trying to parody something that might have been ripe for the picking in 1995, but is already so far gone that it serves as a self-parody now. It just doesn't bring the funny the way it might have when the Power Rangers were still fresh and shiny.

Sentai series haven't been new since the seventies. They're like the macaroni and cheese of Japanese television for kids. It's simple, timeless, everyone knows it. New series are still being produced so I don't see why it can't be made fun of anymore.

It's the same with the other half of the Color Rangers episodes, Dragon Quest. Sure, Dragon Quest VII finally came out in 2000, but the Japanese still love the series. It sells better with each and every installment.

For a western audience, poking fun at sentai isn't funny anymore, its not popular over here and hasn't been for 15+ years. Neither is Dragon Quest, so the jokes don't really work.

DmonHiro wrote:
Wow... Erin seems to have mised over 90% of the jokes and pokes at Japanese media present in Level E. Can't say I'm surprised, she's not very experienced in anime. And about the character designs, she'd probably have a heart attack if she saw Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Not much talk about the humor either... a veryy poor "review". But hey, it's Erin, I'm used to it.

its not really a review, its an editorial. If it was a review, you'd see it where the reviews usually go, and it would have a rating.

also, i love how Erin doesn't like something you guys feel the need to lambaste her in criticism for it. Personally, I like that Erin gave some negative criticism in this weeks article, i always felt that she was a bit too nice with her "reviews".
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
Just a quick question from the cheap seats: what's the difference between a "perishable" and "flushable" rating? Scatology aside, it sounds like what one would do with the other.
Perishable is for physical releases and flushable for streaming titles.
And, quite bizarrely, there are only two streaming title categories, so something can be flushable as a stream but also rental shelf.

I've always found that quite bizarre, as if renting is always so substantially easier than streaming that you'd rent something that you wouldn't watch streaming. It seems to have a mental model that people have to sit in some desk chair to stream on a desktop, but can watch a rental on their couch.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:

For a western audience, poking fun at sentai isn't funny anymore, its not popular over here and hasn't been for 15+ years. Neither is Dragon Quest, so the jokes don't really work.

I don't see the problem. The series was made with a Japanese audience in mind.

Besides, it's not just about being current, nostalgia is a powerful weapon as well. Part of why I got a kick out of the Color Ranger episodes is because I grew up with Power Rangers and Dragon Quest. Level E makes fun of my childhood and I love it for it.

The jokes are fine, they work perfectly well. If you don't get them that's your problem.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:

I don't see the problem. The series was made with a Japanese audience in mind.

Besides, it's not just about being current, nostalgia is a powerful weapon as well. Part of why I got a kick out of the Color Ranger episodes is because I grew up with Power Rangers and Dragon Quest. Level E makes fun of my childhood and I love it for it.

The jokes are fine, they work perfectly well. If you don't get them that's your problem.

you missed the point, theres a cultural divide thats at work here. and Level E is not the only show to poke fun at Sentai, plenty of others have done it before. Humor is completely subjective, don't deride others because they don't find Sentai and dragon quest jokes funny anymore.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

you missed the point, theres a cultural divide thats at work here.

Yeah, it's a Japanese show making fun of Japanese popular culture, I noticed that.

Quote:
and Level E is not the only show to poke fun at Sentai, plenty of others have done it before.

And other anime (and manga, and videogames and variety shows and...) will continue to do so, because sentai is still current even after 40+ years. It's the same with Dragon Quest. And Doraemon. Dragonball too, I guess. And Heidi.

Quote:
Humor is completely subjective, don't deride others because they don't find Sentai and dragon quest jokes funny anymore.

Anymore? Either you like this kind of humour or you don't. Either is fine. Just don't go around accusing Level E of being stale, because it isn't.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Gintama continues poking fun of that and it's still very popular.
steev-sama

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I have been concerned of the lack of perishable/flushable used since Erin took over Shelf Life, I mean how can you do a review if you like everything? However, I can't believe Erin gave flushable to Level E?! I can see how the show would have been far more enjoyable if it stayed with the Prince and Yukitaka, but the arcs have been pretty funny. It has been said before, but the Prince is a Troll, that is what makes him so funny. You don't have to gain any kind of emotional attachment to the characters because in the end Level E is a gag manga. Plus, it is made to be a retro-scifi comedy because the manga was made in 1995, which gives it a unique feeling to most modern day anime. I can understand someone not liking Level E because they don't follow the comedy well, but to those who do Level can be a lot of fun to watch. At the very least that should be recognized.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
First Casshern, and now Phantom. Erin certainly has a special taste in anime.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7