• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Episode 14 to Be a Recap

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad of this. I was really worried. I've read through vol. 4 of the manga, and I projected the end of vol. 4 to be about episode 15. The bulk of the volume is flashbacks to their training, which we got in episodes 3-4. I was worried about the pacing, since the flashbacks give a break while other stuff is going, and putting a recap there takes care of that problem.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Waraich wrote:
The "breaking" up of the show so newbies can join in doesnt matter when you can just stream the older episodes effortlessly..

Because time is free, yes.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, I assume this means the Trost arc will conclude episode 13...

A little disappointed about this, but I'll get over it. It's still an epic adaptation.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hey, as long as it doesn't turn into a Wolf's Rain 4 consecutive recap episodes to catch up production......... Laughing

I agree.

Japan? You hear that? Avoid an outbreak of something like the SARS epidemic, y'hear? It would annoy overseas viewers of your animes.
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
The problems behind this production are huge.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll still watch it anyway. If I were watching it on DVD I'd skip them but I might as well watch it to get my weekly fix
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:44 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
sometimes, a Recap can still have new stuffs. Like Gundam 00

Yeah, I liked 00's with the observers.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
Desperately needed, given the constraints.
SthRandom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
I guess it depends whether the recap will provide some new info or different points of view, but if the production team needed a break for whatever reason, couldn't they just take... an actual break? In my opinion that'd be better than giving us a recap.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
^
Contractual obligations stop them from doing that. They have to provide an episode every week or else they can get in trouble with the broadcaster.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
This is what I wrote on another forum just after watching episode 9 (I haven't seen 10 yet), based on having read through vol. 4 of the manga.

Quote:
Episode 10: spoiler[A lot of talking. What to do with Eren and such. Possibly getting into how they're gonna plug the hole in the wall, and Armin's idea/plan.]

Episode 11: spoiler[If the stuff about the wall and Armin's idea/plan isn't in 10, it's here. This episode will have at least the start of the operation. Possibly going a bit further, but I think that's more likely to be in Episode 12.]

Episode 12: spoiler[Oh hey, we get fun here. Eren loses himself in his Titan form, and gets attacked by other Titans. Episode'll probably end with Armin screaming at Eren... nah, won't spoil what happens THERE.]

Episode 13: spoiler[Fallout from the last episode. The teams are trying to fight the Titans, and Armin is trying to get through to Eren. Half the episode is action, half is in Eren's mind.]

Episode 14: spoiler[Eren is revived, and manages to get the hole plugged, and they take out all of the Titans inside the wall. Eren passes out at the end of the episode.]

Episode 15: spoiler[Eren wakes up in a jail cell, and there's talky with one of the Generals on what he is, what's been done, etc. At the end, Captain Levi is listening, and accepts Eren into the Survey Corps, with the intention of going to Eren's house and finding what his father left in the basement.]

Again, I haven't seen episode 10, but I'm assuming that what I have for episode 10 and 11 are likely combined into the actual episode 10. That being said, in the manga, between my "episode 14" and "episode 15", is where the flashbacks that were used for episodes 3-4 go. Given how "episode 14" ends, it wouldn't feel right, pacing wise, to go straight to "episode 15." So I think that my "episode 14" will be the end of actual episode 13, then we'll have the recap in place of the flashbacks, and episode 15 will be what I've guessed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2