• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vampire TV Anime Diabolik Lovers' 1st Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:08 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

There might have been quite a few girl-oriented anime in the early 2000's, but due to the lack of popularity during that boom, it subsided.

Shoujo anime=loss.This is clear. But still, the main reason why the fujoshi anime earlier were lacking popularity is because they did not follow the source material and was butchered. A recent example of this:
Magi vs. Kuroko no Basuke.
Both popular with fujoshi and female otaku, both animated. One sold 25k per volume while the other is barely managing 4k per volume now. Why? Because Magi's animation was awful and they butchered the story so much.
Many adaptations earlier like Amatsuki, 07 Ghost, Hatenki Yuugi(sp)'s adaptations were not faithful to the source material and fans were not pleased.
Just wanted to say that that's the main reason fujoshi anime don't sell well.

OK.
Ok.
Ok.
WAIT.
Hatenkou Yuugi is not a fujoshi anime or manga. AT ALL. Ever. Please, PLEASE do not compare it to Kuroko no Basket or Magi. NEVER.

And the biggest reason fujoshi anime DON'T sell is because of the PANDERING. PANDERING. PANDERING. It happens in the games, it happens in the anime. Not all female anime fans are fujioshi, cornering down your already small fanbase to a TEENY one. Although there are many fujoshi, only a small percentage of them actually buy DVDs. They watch it on TV.
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:02 am Reply with quote
Fujoshi fanbase is small that's why fujoshi-related anime don't sell that much.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:06 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

OK.
Ok.
Ok.
WAIT.
Hatenkou Yuugi is not a fujoshi anime or manga. AT ALL. Ever. Please, PLEASE do not compare it to Kuroko no Basket or Magi. NEVER.

And the biggest reason fujoshi anime DON'T sell is because of the PANDERING. PANDERING. PANDERING. It happens in the games, it happens in the anime. Not all female anime fans are fujioshi, cornering down your already small fanbase to a TEENY one. Although there are many fujoshi, only a small percentage of them actually buy DVDs. They watch it on TV.

...? Ok, then, I won't assume that it's a fujoshi anime even though there have been...well, forget it.

I'm sorry but I don't understand the first line in your second paragraph. Yes, not all female anime fans are fujoshi, ok. But the fujoshi bought Kuroko no Basuke, Durarara and Sengoku Basara to name a few. And these anime had good production values unlike most others which didn't.

EDIT: Though it is true fujoshi anime don't sell like say Bakemonogatari or Madoka Magica. No fujoshi anime has ever sold that much.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:53 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

OK.
Ok.
Ok.
WAIT.

...? Ok, then, I won't assume that it's a fujoshi anime even though there have been...well, forget it.

It has never been a fujoshi anime/manga ever. I have been with this series for a LOOOOOOONG time, and I own all of the volumes in Japanese. Yes, some people might like it because of yaoi... But not most. I can't say I've often seen OOOOMG BAROQUEHEATXALZEID IS LIKE ZE MOST AMAZING THING EVER. Most people like it because of the variety of characters and the intriguing story.

And by pandering, I mean the obvious pandering to fujoshi (Hiiro no Kakera's ending sequence with the guy talking to the protagonist, for example). Other anime and manga appeal to other genders due to the elements that make it actually appealing! Like story! And actual characters!

Anyway, I could go on forever on this subject, but I won't. I'll probably watch the first episode, laugh my ass off remembering who these seiyuu are, and then drop it. But if there's anyone who enjoys this anime, good! All the power to them.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
I normally miss anything which involves vampires but this intrigues me. Here's hoping the series is good as it has potential with the some of the staff involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:31 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

It has never been a fujoshi anime/manga ever. I have been with this series for a LOOOOOOONG time, and I own all of the volumes in Japanese. Yes, some people might like it because of yaoi... But not most. I can't say I've often seen OOOOMG BAROQUEHEATXALZEID IS LIKE ZE MOST AMAZING THING EVER. Most people like it because of the variety of characters and the intriguing story.

I guess I've been severely misinformed then. Wink Sorry about that. I didn't mean to see it's only a fujoshi anime or something. No, I didn't mean that at all.

Quote:
And by pandering, I mean the obvious pandering to fujoshi (Hiiro no Kakera's ending sequence with the guy talking to the protagonist, for example). Other anime and manga appeal to other genders due to the elements that make it actually appealing! Like story! And actual characters!

Anyway, I could go on forever on this subject, but I won't. I'll probably watch the first episode, laugh my ass off remembering who these seiyuu are, and then drop it. But if there's anyone who enjoys this anime, good! All the power to them.

Oh, so that's what you meant. Sorry. Really, I didn't understand what you meant at first. But now I understand. And yes, you are right that other anime and manga like Kuroko or Magi appeal to both genders.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
I've heard of this game and it sounded like a really messed up one to me. I've been wondering about how it will even work as an anime so I'll definitely watch this when it starts airing.
reshaTM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote
Its original plot is Rejet, they just collaborate with Otomate/IDEA FACTORY for the game. The guys in Diabolik Lovers are sadist vampires, & NOT EVEN similar to vampire knight or AMNESIA. Though fans of Rejet like me are actually not agreeing with it to be anime, its worth a watch, for Rejet's another anime project. This is the second one, from the first anime project Vitamin X addiction Wink

Peace!
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
this anime is not my thing, then again there is hardly any anime these days that I can watch so who knows maybe I'll check the first episode.
akapahua

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Love the op song! DiaLover is one of my favorite otome games (w/UtaPri coming first), but I'm very hesitant to watch it as I'm scared it will be butchered like most of the otome turned anime shows.

I'm also wondering how they are going to incorporate the "do S" theme. This is not a lighthearted game so I'm really expecting them to bring out those WTF moments. I have high expectations, but I'm not holding my breath on it.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised this one isn't rotoscoped at all. I mean, rotoscoped sadistic vampires. That would be cool.
mistressjaskra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I never hold high hopes that an Otome adaptation will be, "excellent" I just always hope it'll either be enjoyable/interesting or if I'm lucky it'll have a semi-reasonable plot; beyond just being pretty. I find if I'm really bored I'll sit through even a bad series just because it has bishies in it, but I'd rather watch something I enjoy of course.

I'll admit the sadist take is a bit odd/unusual. I mean every character is a sadist? I mean wow; I'm honestly curious how they're going to vary their personalities at that point. Since I haven't played the game my guess is it might be something like this...

Angry Sadist
Quiet Sadist
Shota Sadist
Serious Sadist
Playful Sadist
Romancer Sadist
Split Personality Sadist

Honestly if the series is just unusual it might keep me watching. My opinion varies just depending on the series:

Adaptations I liked:

Hakuouki & Hakuouki Hekketsuroku
Why:This adaptation did a marvelous job of blending in the alternating story-lines of the various routes into Hijikata Toshizou's route which they used as a base for the series. The plot itself developed along historical fact and was a beautiful meld of fact and fiction. Though I'll admit that the version of the female protagonist they went with in the anime adaptation was not my preferred development of her, she still was an acceptable character. There were just stronger versions of her in the Otome game that I would have liked to seen displayed instead. The seiyuu's, soundscore, and artwork were all true to form from the Otome game.

Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 1000%/2000%
Why: It was/is funny, light hearted, had likable characters, and a great sound score. All of these things were complimented by nice artwork and fabulous seiyuus.

AMNESIA
Why: The premises was unusual, the time slips kept you curious as to what the hell was going on. The male characters all were interesting and had their own quirks even if the female protagonist didn't. The art style was also very unique.

Adaptations I thought were just okay:

Hakuouki Reimeiroku
Why: It got the historical prelude to Hakuouki across, but the male protagonist just never made any development in character which was irritating. Really it doesn't pan out as well because the 12 episodes take place across 3 months and contain a very limited amount of historical data. Unlike its predecessor seasons which take place over the course of 4 years, it just doesn't have a lot to work with. Once again the former seiyuus, sound score, and art was on par with the Otome game. Really this season was just a good toss back for fans to see their favorite characters again. The part it really lacked in was, "epilogue" portion that the game contained. Since the series followed Hijikata's route effectively a Hijikata epilogue could have followed the season like it did in the Otome (Explanation: Whichever character the male protagonist developed a bond with he runs into again later; and they are in a romantic relationship with the female protagonist).

La storia della Arcana Famiglia
Why: Characters and abilities were interesting. Unfortunately it lacked a plot and the female protagonist didn't really engender anything in me. The art style was moderately alright. I think I would rather play the games if I could read kanji. I get the feeling they probably butchered the story.

Adaptations I thought were pretty, but boring:

Hiiro no Kakera
Why: Female lead though pretty for a change was useless. She kept talking about getting stronger versus actually just doing it. So she became irritating. The guys were all cardboard cutouts. Additionally, there was no plot development. I never bothered to watch the 2nd season, the only reason I made it through the first is I was just that bored and it had bishies...yeah.
reshaTM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I know right. I dun think they might display the whole Do-S thing like in the game & drama cds, Rejet changed both the composer & mangaka. I was surprised when this is announced to be anime. I was like "OMG, are they going to include the versus cds version too?" Its bad for the heart listening to its drama cds if not strong enough Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2